Son wants to Invest- Anyone using an online brokerage

theesir

18 year old son wants to put his graduation money and other money he's collected through high school into a ETF. Is anyone using an online brokerage account or have an opinion as to one being better than another?

Thanks

have had Scottrade accounts for 2 years now and have been very happy. Nothing fancy, good online access and low trade fees. In my case, the local office is just down the street and I have found that handy a few times when I needed something out of the ordinary. Would recommend. I am impressed with your son being concerned about saving at a young age. Kudos.

Thanks, he plans to invest 90% in an index fund and 10% in a bond fund. I will look into (or have him look into) each of the three above. Cost for trades and selection of funds seem to be the big factors.

Thanks, he plans to invest 90% in an index fund and 10% in a bond fund. I will look into (or have him look into) each of the three above. Cost for trades and selection of funds seem to be the big factors.

If he's just going into funds or ETF's no need to worry about trading costs seeing he'll likely not be doing much if any trading. If it's a small amount skip the brokerage (cut out the middle man) and go directly with the fund company i.e. Vanguard.

BTW does he work/have earned income? If so put it in a Roth. Max $5,500.

Edited by Chef Jim

If he's just going into funds or ETF's no need to worry about trading costs seeing he'll likely not be doing much if any trading. If it's a small amount skip the brokerage (cut out the middle man) and go directly with the fund company i.e. Vanguard.

He looked into this and the minimum to make the buy was too high. He has about $2000 to start with. We'll look into it more specifically when he settles on a specific fund.

BTW does he work/have earned income? If so put it in a Roth. Max $5,500.

A lot of big companies (Coke, MSFT, etc) have DRIP accounts too which cuts out the middle man. Then he could just let the dividends reinvest over the next 40 years and buy the Bills.

He looked into this and the minimum to make the buy was too high. He has about $2000 to start with. We'll look into it more specifically when he settles on a specific fund.

Well then if he only has $2,000 have him invest in a night of coke, hookers and booze. He's 18 right?

Oh and I just noticed Fergy also recommended coke. That's two votes for coke.

Edited by Chef Jim

Well then if he only has $2,000 have him invest in a night of coke, hookers and booze. He's 18 right?

You can't go wrong investing in life experience. :thumbsup:

Yup. You can be 70 and still buy stocks, bonds, mutual funds but you'll only be 18 once.

He is the complete opposite of me in that he is as clean cut as can be. I call him a nerd, he says he's an intellectual badass. He'll own us all someday.

He looked into this and the minimum to make the buy was too high.

Double check this. Vanguard's admiral shares have a minimum of $10k but the regular ones are definitely less than $2k. Unless you're talking about something else that I'm not aware of.

I have the investment opportunity he's looking for.

For a small handling fee of $500 I will set him up with an investment opportunity guaranteed to let him retire early.

Please mail me the cash along with his bank info and SS number.

Tell him to get in early before this opportunity is no longer available. I'm only offering this to other Bills fans and their family. Investment spots are going fast. Act now before it's too late.

Tell him to invest in canned food and automatic weapons. In under a year we're all screwed.

Can't buy automatic weapons legally. Most states prohibit handguns and semi auto rifles to 21+.

Can still stock up on 5.56 and 7.62 ammo which ain't getting cheaper.

I wish you were my financial advisor when I was 18. I spent my graduation money on my first car. Thing broke down all the time & was more of a headache than it was worth. A night of coke, hookers & booze would of been a much wiser investment.

Got a special deal going today. He has to get the money to me before 4 today. He will get 15% interest. Hurry. Has to be done today. It's a 580 day investment.

So Bernie Meadoff, how often is the interest accrued and is that an annual rate or over the life of the investment? What happens on day 580?

So Bernie Meadoff, how often is the interest accrued and is that an annual rate or over the life of the investment? What happens on day 580?

I pay the interest.

Quarterly

To late now.

The new special is 18% . Send the check.