Any uber drivers?

CommonCents

I used Uber for the first time last month in Phoenix. Of all people, my taxi driver recommended it to me on my way to the hotel from the airport. I asked him approx., how much it would be from my hotel to a Diamondbacks game and he told me about $25-30/each way.

Then he asked if I had Uber, which I did not. By the time he got me to my hotel, I had the app and was all registered.

I used it quite a bit during my trip. The rides to the game were $9 one way, $10 back.

A couple things I learned from one of the drivers:

In Phoenix (not sure if this is everywhere), Uber cannot pick people up at the airport. They can only drive them there. They recommended taking the car rental shuttle to the nearest lot and calling Uber from there. Rental lots are not owned by the airports. My taxi from airport to hotel was $35. My Uber from the hotel to the airport was $12.

I tipped my first couple drivers. Then I was with a guy who was totally gung ho Uber. Very nice guy, very intelligent. Asked how I liked Uber, so we began to talk. He said that since Uber drivers get a higher percentage of the fares, that tipping isn't necessary or expected. So I didn't tip him. Or any other Uber driver for the rest of my trip.

Question to this forum: Should they be tipped??

It's hard to tell anyone when to tip or when not to. On longer trips people seem to kick in a few bucks, airports, seaport, etc. Also when a driver sits and waits for you to run an errand or two you should probably toss him a few bucks because while he is sitting he gets some slave rate, 10 cents a minute or something.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UBER is a hipster taxi service that doesn't want to play by the rules that taxis have to because hipster like it and don't feel the Yb should have to play by the same rules. The reason why taxis cost more is because they have additional insurance and fees and licensing that UBER is trying to get around.

If the Taxi company's were smart they should just drop the additional insurance and licensing and tweak their services to become "ride sharing services"

This is similar to the restaurants fighting the food truck craze where the restaurant owners are complaining because food trucks could just role in and set up wherever during peak hours and sell their food without half the regulations that a restaurant had to follow for doing the same thing, serving food to people.

I use Lyft and Uber quite a bit, but lean more towards Lyft. Lyft generally seems to get there quicker.

Most drivers work for both, prefer to pick up Lyft rides as they keep 80% of fare as opposed to 75% with Uber.

Uber was always a no tip service, but a recent lawsuit regarding employment status of drivers..1099 or W-2, brought about a slight change. Uber now allows its drivers to post a sign encouraging tips, but those tips must be paid in cash and not through the app.Uber will not change the app to accommodate tips.

Lyft has always had tips built into the app, the option appears once you get your invoice. I have always tipped, so find this also more attractive and why i prefer Lyft.

Would be intersted if anyone had used the UberPool or Lyft Line service yet. I have not, but think i will next time by myself and not in a hurry to get anywhere.

UBER is a hipster taxi service that doesn't want to play by the rules that taxis have to because hipster like it and don't feel the Yb should have to play by the same rules. The reason why taxis cost more is because they have additional insurance and fees and licensing that UBER is trying to get around.

If the Taxi company's were smart they should just drop the additional insurance and licensing and tweak their services to become "ride sharing services"

This is similar to the restaurants fighting the food truck craze where the restaurant owners are complaining because food trucks could just role in and set up wherever during peak hours and sell their food without half the regulations that a restaurant had to follow for doing the same thing, serving food to people.

Hipster taxi service?

I look at it as getting the same exact product for 1/3 of the price, on average. That's not being a hipster. It's being smart.

UBER is a new way of looking at the economy...and the economy and the old line industries are going to have to adjust. The so called "sharing" economy is real...as is the coming trend of "gig" jobs.

I am by far not a hipster...but oh how i love getting in a well-maintained and clean car as opposed to chit holes that most cabbies drive. And oh my, air conditioning actually is standard on most cars nowadays, and it works.And I also love paying less and getting air conditioning! How great it is being able to call an Uber to my house and them being htere in 2 minutes as opposed to schlepping down the street. I also love not get a nasty ass look and sigh when i want to pay with a credit card...ohh the horror of not paying cash in a mostly cashless economy.

I agree should be a fair compete...but cabs brought this on themselves when they were a monopoly...competition brings out the best in everyone.

Edited by plenzmd1

Hipster taxi service?

I look at it as getting the same exact product for 1/3 of the price, on average. That's not being a hipster. It's being smart.

He makes fun of them for their business model and them encourages taxi companies to adopt that same model.

UBER is a new way of looking at the economy...and the economy and the old line industries are going to have to adjust. The so called "sharing" economy is real...as is the coming trend of "gig" jobs.

I am by far not a hipster...but oh how i love getting in a well-maintained and clean car as opposed to chit holes that most cabbies drive. And oh my, air conditioning actually is standard on most cars nowadays, and it works.And I also love paying less and getting air conditioning! How great it is being able to call an Uber to my house and them being htere in 2 minutes as opposed to schlepping down the street. I also love not get a nasty ass look and sigh when i want to pay with a credit card...ohh the horror of not paying cash in a mostly cashless economy.

I agree should be a fair compete...but cabs brought this on themselves when they were a monopoly...competition brings out the best in everyone.

I hailed a cab from Oakland to SF one night. Ten miles away and the fare was high (bridges and tolls) and when he got me to my house I handed him my credit card he said cash only. Are you kidding me?!? You didn't think to tell me it was cash only when you picked me up? We had to drive to an ATM.

That's what I love about Uber. You thank them and hop out.

Hipster taxi service?

Okay...

Ya ya ya ya ya

Until a guy goes nuts in Kalamazoo and the ride turns into Crazy Taxi...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Hipster taxi service?

I look at it as getting the same exact product for 1/3 of the price, on average.

But it's not the same product, it's a much better service. When I go out of town and want to go out for drinks at night on a weekend, I tap Uber and a car is at my location in about 5-10 minutes. It also notifies me 1 minute before it arrives. With a cab it can take anywhere from 15-60 minutes at night on a weekend, and I have to keep checking the window to make sure he isn't sitting outside waiting (can't honk and wake up the neighbors). And you can forget about trying to get a cab to take you back home from the bars when it's late, that could take forever.

But it's not the same product, it's a much better service. When I go out of town and want to go out for drinks at night on a weekend, I tap Uber and a car is at my location in about 5-10 minutes. It also notifies me 1 minute before it arrives. With a cab it can take anywhere from 15-60 minutes at night on a weekend, and I have to keep checking the window to make sure he isn't sitting outside waiting (can't honk and wake up the neighbors). And you can forget about trying to get a cab to take you back home from the bars when it's late, that could take forever.

Exactly...it's a better mousetrap, simple as that. Why people would continue to cling to some archaic 'taxi' model with its high prices and horrible service, protected by government crooks who are paid off with the extra $ you were charged, is beyond me.

The only time I took a cab in the last year the guy ripped me off for a few bucks with the standard "I don't have change for a $20" scam. Yeah, right. Conversely, virtually every Uber driver I've had has been friendly and engaging (especially in San Fran). And why is that? Oh right, one model allows passengers to rate their drivers, the other doesn't. I'm pretty sure CommonSense's 4.5 rating would put him in the top 5% of NYC cab drivers.

Sign me up for the Uber model where I don't need to worry what if anything I have in my wallet. A couple of clicks on my phone and I'm home.

Edited by KD in CA

Exactly...it's a better mousetrap, simple as that. Why people would continue to cling to some archaic 'taxi' model with its high prices and horrible service, protected by government crooks who are paid off with the extra $ you were charged, is beyond me.

The only time I took a cab in the last year the guy ripped me off for a few bucks with the standard "I don't have change for a $20" scam. Yeah, right. Conversely, virtually every Uber driver I've had has been friendly and engaging (especially in San Fran). And why is that? Oh right, one model allows passengers to rate their drivers, the other doesn't. I'm pretty sure CommonSense's 4.5 rating would put him in the top 5% of NYC cab drivers.

Sign me up for the Uber model where I don't need to worry what if anything I have in my wallet. A couple of clicks on my phone and I'm home.

I'm 4.6 and carrying a 1 with only 15 reviews! Don't short change me lol.

I'm 4.6 and carrying a 1 with only 15 reviews! Don't short change me lol.

I wouldn't at all and that's my point. The average NYC cab driver would probably be a 1.8. But if his job depended on it, his attitude and the cleanliness of his shitmobile would change a whole lot, pretty much just like any other person in any other job. People who have no fear of losing their jobs generally suck at them.

I'm sure Uber understands that one out of every ten guys that gets in an Uber is a total !@#$ who's going to give out a `1' just because he can. My guess is almost every Uber driver has primarily '5's, a few '1' and overall there are few 2, 3, and 4s given.

I love Uber. Cost is good, convenience is great. A buddy does it in his free time and he loves the money and the people. Some more than others. Tips are built in as I understand it. Of course, who refuses cash?

I love Uber. Cost is good, convenience is great. A buddy does it in his free time and he loves the money and the people. Some more than others. Tips are built in as I understand it. Of course, who refuses cash?

There probably is a way to eff Uber right out the whole equation. Routine riders, shut the thing off... Exchange numbers, etc... Build a network yourself.

??

Boy... This stuff would have been gr8 years ago when us old guys were younger. Back then you had to do things (network) the old fashion way (ie: bars, etc...) when in a new town, etc... Now, not so hard. Back then, get stuck in a town, don't know where to go, etc... Dealing w/some good Uber drivers could really open up a lot of "possibilities."

If you get my drift... "Hey where's the best place for..." ;) Betcha there are some great Uber drivers out there! ^_^

...EXCEPT the gov't (business, sites, etc...) is tracking your every move with your cellphone... LMAO... :lol::lol:

Take the good w/the bad.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There probably is a way to eff Uber right out the whole equation. Routine riders, shut the thing off... Exchange numbers, etc... Build a network yourself.

??

Sure there is....if you have the time and patience and don't mind the lack of cash flow while you build a customer base and you can afford to build an infrastructure to handle things when you succeed in getting lots of customers. You know, it's called starting your own business.

Of course when you successfully do that, be prepared to have a bunch of whiners come out of the woodwork to complain about something you're doing 'wrong'! :lol:

Sure there is....if you have the time and patience and don't mind the lack of cash flow while you build a customer base and you can afford to build an infrastructure to handle things when you succeed in getting lots of customers. You know, it's called starting your own business.

Of course when you successfully do that, be prepared to have a bunch of whiners come out of the woodwork to complain about something you're doing 'wrong'! :lol:

Yeah... But I was just talking about a little "under the table cash action" while still using Uber for what it is worth.