Bills Cap Situation,Tyrod & Gilmore Deals, Future Outlook

I think you make good arguements whether I think they are correct or not

I do ask though.....what makes you think the bills dont screw up and end up taking qbs other then the names you mentioned?

I guess because I am more of an optimist than you? B-)

The point is that you miss on all the chances you don't take........and being that the only way to sustain long term success in the league is to be QB based...it makes no sense to not be actively addressing the issue until it is at the very least resolved.

And yes, I know defenses can win championships but they are quick and easy to assemble and tend to be much more cyclical with much less sustained excellence than the offenses of good QB-driven teams.

Easy to forget that the Belichick Pats were built on a defensive structure but have been a QB-based team for almost twice as long as they were a D-based team.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess because I am more of an optimist than you? B-)

The point is that you miss on all the chances you don't take........and being that the only way to sustain long term success in the league is to be QB based...it makes no sense to not be actively addressing the issue until it is at the very least resolved.

And yes, I know defenses can win championships but they are quick and easy to assemble and tend to be much more cyclical with much less sustained excellence than the offenses of good QB-driven teams.

Easy to forget that the Belichick Pats were built on a defensive structure but have been a QB-based team for almost twice as long as they were a D-based team.

Bado now you know the pats are a horrible example...:)

Tom Brady is the unicorn of unicorns......taken in the latter round of the draft.

Nearly all of the success the patriots have had revolves around him.....and the pats simply got luck with that pick.

Much in the way the bills have gotten lucky that they brought in a late pick QB that sat behind Flacco for years (I am not putting Tyrod against Brady as far as production....just the concept of getting lucky and finding a QB)

Bado now you know the pats are a horrible example... :)

Tom Brady is the unicorn of unicorns......taken in the latter round of the draft.

Nearly all of the success the patriots have had revolves around him.....and the pats simply got luck with that pick.

Much in the way the bills have gotten lucky that they brought in a late pick QB that sat behind Flacco for years (I am not putting Tyrod against Brady as far as production....just the concept of getting lucky and finding a QB)

Brady is just one of the many on that list to win SB's who weren't picked by that team with bottom feeder quality first round picks........the point is that building around a QB is a much more sustainable approach.

Why?

because of the dead money charges I noted. Most large deals given to RBs are front loaded with higher cap hits in the first three years so the team can get out of the deal relatively easily, but the signing bonus (while prorated over the length of the deal against the salary cap) is paid in a lump sum up front to the player, so the player doesn't get screwed out of much $$ when released. McCoy has both high base AND bonuses.

I would rather trade him than lose him for nothing.

Every year this comes up with players on their last year of a deal. Team's aren't going to give up valuable assets for a player with a 1 year deal AND sign him to a long-term deal. If he doesn't sign this year, franchise tag him next year. I don't think many realize just how important Gilmore is to this defense, regardless of how talented Darby is as well.

Bills should be sitting around $42 million in cap space entering next offseason unless they sign someone else this year. They can save save around $15 million cutting Eric Wood, Corey Graham, Nickell Robey, Dan Carpenter, Jerome Felton, Marcus Easley, and Cyrus Kouandjio.

All these players can be replaced with draft picks. You can also make a decision on Kyle Williams. Very little dead cap, saves you another $6.8 million. This move would depend on how Williams plays this year. If he is his old self he is a bargain.

So add that $15 million to the $42 million and you see we are perfectly fine. We would have to find a starting center, Kicker, and safety in the draft or free agency, not the hardest thing to do. Plus Blanton may replace Graham this year.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

because of the dead money charges I noted. Most large deals given to RBs are front loaded with higher cap hits in the first three years so the team can get out of the deal relatively easily, but the signing bonus (while prorated over the length of the deal against the salary cap) is paid in a lump sum up front to the player, so the player doesn't get screwed out of much $$ when released. McCoy has both high base AND bonuses.

Every year this comes up with players on their last year of a deal. Team's aren't going to give up valuable assets for a player with a 1 year deal AND sign him to a long-term deal. If he doesn't sign this year, franchise tag him next year. I don't think many realize just how important Gilmore is to this defense, regardless of how talented Darby is as well.

It's important to have good corners, not necessarily Gilmore. Rex didn't specifically have Gilmore when he went to the AFC Championship. The Bills signed two free agent CBs this year and added a draft pick they claim to be excited about, plus still have Mario Butler and Nickell the nickel. And Darby may or may not already be better than Steph.

Further, even if the the above doesn't work out and they do need to draft a CB, they'll have the extra draft pick to do it with. Now rather than the 'two CBs for the price of one' that everybody is so excited about, we'll have two CBs for the price of zero.

CB is one position I have some faith that both the front office can get the right player, and the coaching staff can develop him.

And again if Seymour or one of the two FAs or Butler works out, now you have extra draft picks to use other places, plus dodge the bullet of a big contract with big guarantees for a player you don't need. and therefore can be more aggressive in free agency.

Understood that this system is very demanding on corners, but the Bills have one good one in Darby and a plethora of other options which include a rookie they're over the moon about. I'm not pounding the table to trade him but its debatable IMO.

Edited by Aaron

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills GM Doug Whaley: Lines of communication are definitely open with Tyrod Taylor. Free flowing. Hopefully a conclusion on contract soon.

@ChrisBrownBills

Whaley on Gilmore talks - we'll negotiate until a deadline if he has one and hopefully beyond that. It won't happen overnight. #Bills

That sounds positive on Gilmore; they said many of the same things about Glenn, Hughes, and Dareus

That sounds positive on Gilmore; they said many of the same things about Glenn, Hughes, and Dareus

Gilmore is in a positive state of mind and I hope that reflects positive vibes toward getting a long term deal done along the lines of what Slay got from Detroit.

Well I think you are stupid too. :rolleyes:

Good organizations are built on good systems........the Bills organizational objectives have always been changing.

The two things you need to be doing right to sustain success are addressing the QB situation aggressively until it's resolved and hiring the best coaches possible.

The Bills of Ralph half-stepped at the QB position and were just dreadful wrt head coaching decisions.

I've said this dozens of times before on TSW.......if they had stayed in place and drafted the next QB that was selected each draft since Butler left they would have drafted Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco......3 SB winning QB's.......2 lock HOF QB's.

They'd also have drafted a host of other good to awful QB's.

The Bills are actually in a relative "golden age" for having their first round picks still on the roster.......but still all they have to show for 16 years of losing quality first round picks are EJ, Gilmore, Dareus, Watkins and Shaq Lawson.

Three very good starters.....one of whom is a pending free agent.

So explain to me why it is so important to not use first round picks on QB's?

You can't draft QBs every year. Instead of Sammy Watkins, we would have had Garrett Grayson and Johnny football. Instead of EJ we'd have EJ, or even better, Geno. Your hindsight General Managing would be easier to tolerate if you weren't so miserable to your fellow fans.

Edited by Tenhigh

You can't draft QBs every year. Instead of Sammy Watkins, we would have had Garrett Grayson and Johnny football. Instead of EJ we'd have EJ, or even better, Geno. Your hindsight General Managing would be easier to tolerate if you weren't so miserable to your fellow fans.

The challenges of finishing 8- 8 !

@RyanTalbotBills

Could Darius Slay's new deal help the Bills with Stephon Gilmore? http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1690507-slay-deal-may-help-bills-with-gilmore

we can only hope so !