Henry For Shelton - agreed in principal

nfl.com

arizona cardinal message board

Member # 5975

posted 02-21-2005 08:09 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just saw this over on asfn

Henry for Shelton trade agreed in principle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just heard from a friend (from Buffalo sports radio) that the Cardinals and Bills have agreed in principle to a trade for LJ Shelton and Travis Henry pending physicals.

I have no idea if draft choices where included or if the Cardinals plan on re-doing Henrys contract.

This is the first time that this person has actually given me any information like this so I don't know if they are just pulling my leg. I apologise in advance if this news turns out to be bunk.

"Anquan Boldin . . . Freddie Jones . . . Larry Fitzgerald . . . somebody should tell Bush, the weapons of mass destruction are in Arizona"

Posts: 187 | From: glendal , arizona | Registered: Jan 2005 | IP: Logged

cardsfaithful22

Pro-Bowler

Member # 5462

posted 02-21-2005 08:13 PM

quote:

Originally posted by insider:

just saw this over on asfn

Henry for Shelton trade agreed in principle.

Just heard from a friend (from Buffalo sports radio) that the Cardinals and Bills have agreed in principle to a trade for LJ Shelton and Travis Henry pending physicals.

I have no idea if draft choices where included or if the Cardinals plan on re-doing Henrys contract.

This is the first time that this person has actually given me any information like this so I don't know if they are just pulling my leg. I apologise in advance if this news turns out to be bunk.

"Anquan Boldin . . . Freddie Jones . . . Larry Fitzgerald . . . somebody should tell Bush, the weapons of mass destruction are in Arizona"

i hope this is true,but we will only find out come march 2nd

oh and by the way i like your sig,but you could of atleast put BJ instead of garbage freddie jones

--------------------

Mibrilane

Member # 5709

posted 02-21-2005 08:13 PM

quote:

if only everyone would put similar caveats in their messages for information they get from questionable sources. Well done.

As for the substance of the news - can't say its all that surprising. This is of course "unofficial" news as the actual announcement of any trade (or the signing of any documents regarding same) needs to wait until March 2.

--------------------

"Into this frothing sea of adversity flowed a red tidal wave of fury. Cardinal red. A dominating force of inevitability, unleashed upon a field of destiny. Red as the flowing blood of courage, red as a mighty torrent of rage, this wave would obliterate all in its path. And in the end, that which remained would be cast in the crimson shadow of victory. This would be a red day. A Cardinal day."

Posts: 273 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Dec 2004 | IP: Logged

fitz11

Pro-Bowler

Member # 5703

posted 02-21-2005 08:18 PM

i hope we get Henry

cardinalsfan

Member # 6101

posted 02-21-2005 08:55 PM

I'm not sold on getting Travis Henry but it would open up our options in the draft. What position and who do you think we would go for in the first round if we got Henry.

--------------------

Posts: 25 | From: Mesa | Registered: Feb 2005 | IP: Logged

idahiancardsfan

Member # 6073

posted 02-21-2005 08:57 PM

i hope this isn't true.

--------------------

i wanna thank your mom and dad for bring this world to a brittle end

Posts: 128 | From: idaho falls | Registered: Feb 2005 | IP: Logged

insider

Member # 5975

posted 02-21-2005 08:57 PM

alex smith

WG

Member # 5340

posted 02-21-2005 08:58 PM

More importantly, we need to resign Shawn Combs, I mean King.

cardsfaithful22

Pro-Bowler

Member # 5462

quote:

Originally posted by cardinalsfan:

I'm not sold on getting Travis Henry but it would open up our options in the draft. What position and who do you think we would go for in the first round if we got Henry.

we would draft defense...more specifically Pac-Man Jones,Antrel Rolle,and Derrick Johnson

--------------------

insider

Member # 5975

anyone of those three would be nice

WG

Member # 5340

posted 02-21-2005 09:00 PM

quote:

anyone of those three would be nice

Brad Johnson would be static!

He is fly on the waggle.

TJ

Member # 5700

posted 02-21-2005 09:37 PM

I like it!!!! And I agree, we should focus on a corner back in the 1st round

Posts: 67 | From: Palos Verdes, CA (but raised in Scottsdale) | Registered: Dec 2004 | IP: Logged

Plummer16

Pro-Bowler

Member # 4770

posted 02-21-2005 09:39 PM

Screw CB! There are plenty of those in FA. If we do get Travis and can turn our attention to something else in the draft, I think we should really consider Derrick Johnson, or trading down to get Thomas Davis to replace Ohalete.

--------------------

nflcrackdown.com www.cardinalsnest.cjb.net

If the Cardinals win a Super Bowl under Dennis Green, I will have his name tattooed on my as$.

Posts: 1217 | From: NEZ Sec. 19 | Tucson, AZ | Registered: Aug 2004 | IP: Logged

AussieCardinal

Member # 2860

posted 02-21-2005 09:47 PM

quote:

Originally posted by idahiancardsfan:

i hope this isn't true.

so do i!

--------------------

-LT Phoenix Cardinals: The Thunder From Down Under!

#34 Pre Season Stats; Pancakes: 6, Sacks Allowed: 0

-Australia's only ARIZONA CARDINAL fan!! and proud of it!!

-Alabama Crimson Tide OWN the Vols

-----------------------------------

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow i hope this is really true,rarely do you see player for player trades in the nfl and rarely do you see trades that help both teams equally,i mean if we pick up a left tackle with money we basically had earmarked for a player that was already on our roster than this is a great move go bills in'05

If the Bills do a simple restructure of Shelton's $3 million salary, the trade basically is cap neutral because both players are in the top 51

Henry cap number: $1.35 million ($1.25 million salary + $100,000 proration)

Shelton's cap number: $3 million each of the next 4 yrs

Shelton's minumum salary for his NFL experiece is $665,000

Convert $2.335 million ($3 million - $665,000) to signing bonus. It gets prorated over 4 yrs at $583,375/yr. Shelton's 2005 cap number is now $665,000 + $583,375 = $1,248,750

Cap savings from Henry: $1.25 million

Cap hit for Shelton: $1,248,750

Bills save $1,250 on cap :(

Some insight on LJ

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp...350&hubname=ARI

L.J. Shelton #70 OT

Arizona

DOB: Mar 21, 1976

Place of Birth: Rochester Hills, MI

Hometown: Rochester Hills, MI

College: Eastern Michigan

HT: 6-6 WT: 341

NFL Seasons: 6

Drafted by Arizona in 1999 (1/21).

Current Status: Off season

Year G GS FR TD

Season Totals: 2004 12 9 0 0

Scouting Report

Assets Huge man with tremendous footwork. Great athlete for a 360-pounder. Can look like a shutdown pass protector for long stretches.

Flaws Doesn't have a killer instinct. Gets lazy and has concentration lapses. Isn't a conditioning fanatic and will get fat.

Career potential Above average starter.

247990[/snapback]

interesting that the rumor is from Buffalo sports radio yet no one in Buffao has heard of this deal yet.

I would of figured that the Cards would have tried hard for Alexander as well.

interesting that the rumor is from Buffalo sports radio yet no one in Buffao has heard of this deal yet.

I would of figured that the Cards would have tried hard for Alexander as well.

248015[/snapback]

NFL total access on the NFL Network said something to the affect of the deal is being finalized pending physicals

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are excited about this trade possibility. Shelton is a career underachiever who will replace Jennings? Aren't we always complaining about line play and the need to upgrade? This is a step backwards folks...

TH is a proven and successful player. Shelton? How often do you all see a reasonably priced LT get cut or traded on the cheap? There can be no doubt that our line, if he is earmarked for LT, will take a big step in the wrong direction.

The only hope I have if this trade goes thru is if the brain trust have determined that MW is ready for LT, and Shelton plays RT.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are excited about this trade possibility.  Shelton is a career underachiever who will replace Jennings?  Aren't we always complaining about line play and the need to upgrade?  This is a step backwards folks...

TH is a proven and successful player.  Shelton?  How often do you all see a reasonably priced LT get cut or traded on the cheap?  There can be no doubt that our line, if he is earmarked for LT, will take a big step in the wrong direction.

The only hope I have if this trade goes thru is if the brain trust have determined that MW is ready for LT, and Shelton plays RT.

248036[/snapback]

Who hasn't been an under-achiever for the Cardinals? They SUCK. My feeling is that this could be a change of scenery trade that benefits both players.

Whether he plays LT or RT or even LG (If we tag Jennings -- not likely but an option.) this deal provides us with what a draft pick would not : an OL that can start from day one.

This is an awesome trade.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people are excited about this trade possibility.  Shelton is a career underachiever who will replace Jennings?  Aren't we always complaining about line play and the need to upgrade?  This is a step backwards folks...

TH is a proven and successful player.  Shelton?  How often do you all see a reasonably priced LT get cut or traded on the cheap?  There can be no doubt that our line, if he is earmarked for LT, will take a big step in the wrong direction.

248036[/snapback]

Again:

1. Shelton failed to produce under Denny Green but it remains unclear wether he his failure to produce was why Green deep sixed him or he was deep sixed because he and Green did not get along. Both Shelton and Shelton's former line coach (who Green deep sixed also so there may be a bias either way) say his play is good so it merits an assessment by the Bills of the tape and thus discussion here.

2. Both Shelton and Henry were given permission by their teams to shop for offers and Henry has expressed a desire to go to warm weather and Shelton's agent says he will go anywhere as long as it is away from Green. Thus moves the unlikely prospect in this league for a trade out of the fantasy realm as both teams and both players have said the things or taken actions which can make even the farfetched idea of a trade happen if it works for both teams. It is quite legitimate for folks to discuss what needs to happen to make this work.

3. Thw Bills have expended the customary money for a plane ticket and Shelton has expended the time for a visit making this even more real. It is important to me that the docs look at the strength and range of motion and cat scans of his leg because generally they do not lie. Before his injury he had a reputation as an iron man (an important thing which is actually JJ's big weakness since he has never played a full 16 in his career). If the docs judge his last downturn as probably related to an injury he is now recovered from I am real interested. Even if we are not interested by bringing him out we increase leverage om JJ, om potential trade partners for TH (maybe Miami jumps out of fear we might trade TH) and even leverages Shelton who comes with a cap hit which makes a trade (maybe you move him to RT, flip MW to LT is JMac judges him ready and do a simple restructure with Sheton converting is future base salaries to bonus which put money in his pocket today, gives us no greater payout to him each year he plays as his base salary is reduced to become bonus and we get the same cap hit savings in '04 we would get for trading or cutting Henry.

This potential deal is easily worth consideration by folks who care about the Bills even if it does not happen.

Again:

1. Shelton failed to produce under Denny Green but it remains unclear wether he his failure to produce was why Green deep sixed him or he was deep sixed because he and Green did not get along. Both Shelton and Shelton's former line coach (who Green deep sixed also so there may be a bias either way) say his play is good so it merits an assessment by the Bills of the tape and thus discussion here.

2. Both Shelton and Henry were given permission by their teams to shop for offers and Henry has expressed a desire to go to warm weather and Shelton's agent says he will go anywhere as long as it is away from Green. Thus moves the unlikely prospect in this league for a trade out of the fantasy realm as both teams and both players have said the things or taken actions which can make even the farfetched idea of a trade happen if it works for both teams. It is quite legitimate for folks to discuss what needs to happen to make this work.

3. Thw Bills have expended the customary money for a plane ticket and Shelton has expended the time for a visit making this even more real.  It is important to me that the docs look at the strength and range of motion and cat scans of his leg because generally they do not lie. Before his injury he had a reputation as an iron man (an important thing which is actually JJ's big weakness since he has never played a full 16 in his career). If the docs judge his last downturn as probably related to an injury he is now recovered from I am real interested. Even if we are not interested by bringing him out we increase leverage om JJ, om potential trade partners for TH (maybe Miami jumps out of fear we might trade TH) and even leverages Shelton who comes with a cap hit which makes a trade (maybe you move him to RT, flip MW to LT is JMac judges him ready and do a simple restructure with Sheton converting is future base salaries to bonus which put money in his pocket today, gives us no greater payout to him each year he plays as his base salary is reduced to become bonus and we get the same cap hit savings in '04 we would get for trading or cutting Henry.

This potential deal is easily worth consideration by folks who care about the Bills even if it does not happen.

248040[/snapback]

nice analysis as usual. this potential trade is certainly intriguing.

248036[/snapback]

Travis is GONE, and he isn't generating much interest in the trade market. At this point, I'd be happy to get an underacheiver that can be coached in return for him.

Good post Fake-Fat. I'd add these points:

1) Shelton is a good deal for an athletic tackle - more $$ left to pursue other needs or lockup Clements long-term

2) Dolphins don't get Henry this way

3) JMac lit a fire under Mike Williams' behind, odds are he can do the same for Shelton (also the Bills have more vet leaders then the Cardinals did)

4) perhaps he plays RT and Big Mike moves to the Left

The real question is this: How much more can the Bills REALLY get for Henry? If the Bills are unable to get a 2nd round pick from anyone for TH, then to me this trade makes the most sense, lets get a guy who has experience in the league who can step in as a starter RIGHT away, which will benefit JP and the rest of the offense.

Plus TH will not do much for the Bills anyway, lets get a guy who can start 16 games (hopefully), and then get a RB who knows his role as a backup.

The real question is this:  How much more can the Bills REALLY get for Henry?  If the Bills are unable to get a 2nd round pick from anyone for TH, then to me this trade makes the most sense, lets get a guy who has experience in the league who can step in as a starter RIGHT away, which will benefit JP and the rest of the offense.

248058[/snapback]

IMO this is better. Wouldn't you expect them to use a second rounder on a lineman anyhow? I'd rather someone who is proven and experienced (and cheap).

This line says it all.

Above average starter.

That means while he isn't the best, there are only 32 starting LT's in the league, that means he is in the top 16. While he is probably comparable in skill to Jonas, until this year he was always playing. As has been said before he struggles against premier defensive ends, but then again so does everyone not named, Pace, Ogden, or Jones.

This line says it all. 

That means while he isn't the best, there are only 32 starting LT's in the league, that means he is in the top 16.  While he is probably comparable in skill to Jonas, until this year he was always playing.  As has been said before he struggles against premier defensive ends, but then again so does everyone not named, Pace, Ogden, or Jones.

248068[/snapback]

He is a better run-blocker than Jonas, and a better athlete. He is not as consistent as a pass protector, but certainly has the athletic skills to improve drastically. HE'S CHEAPER than Jonas. His attitude has been questioned - no different from many Cardinals' players who have had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in Football Hell. SEE: Jason Kendall, who had a solid year for the Jets. Same situation, hopefully the same result.

Buh-bye, Jonas - I love this move. I also love that some TSW posters thought of it before it happened.

248036[/snapback]

I never seen Shelton as a career underachiever. Before this past season, he was the anchor on a solid Cardinals Oline. That Oline had a franchise low in sacks allowed two season's ago.

Last season Shelton came into the season out of shape, and alot of people suspect it was because of the ankle injury he had.

I'd really put him on the same level as Jennings concidering Jennings is always hurt. If we can find someone better than Tucker and Pucillo(Which shouldn't be hard) to play LG, then our Oline is definitely upgraded.

Travis is GONE, and he isn't generating much interest in the trade market. At this point, I'd be happy to get an underacheiver that can be coached in return for him.

248046[/snapback]

Well said JA. The bottom line is that it is far easier (although less glamorous) to get a RB than a person who can play LT.

If TD can pull this off without giving up a draft pick, this will be a stunning accomplishment.

This line says it all. 

That means while he isn't the best, there are only 32 starting LT's in the league, that means he is in the top 16.  While he is probably comparable in skill to Jonas, until this year he was always playing.  As has been said before he struggles against premier defensive ends, but then again so does everyone not named, Pace, Ogden, or Jones.

248068[/snapback]

damn, do i actually agree with you on something? wonders never cease. :P

If the Bills do a simple restructure of Shelton's $3 million salary, the trade basically is cap neutral because both players are in the top 51

Henry cap number: $1.35 million ($1.25 million salary + $100,000 proration)

Shelton's cap number: $3 million each of the next 4 yrs

Shelton's minumum salary for his NFL experiece is $665,000

Convert $2.335 million ($3 million - $665,000) to signing bonus. It gets prorated over 4 yrs at $583,375/yr. Shelton's 2005 cap number is now $665,000 + $583,375 = $1,248,750

Cap savings from Henry: $1.25 million

Cap hit for Shelton: $1,248,750

Bills save $1,250 on cap :P

248008[/snapback]

why would they re-structure Shelton at all and create dead cap problems until they are sure he is teh long term answer to play on the OL. I have big doubts it will be at LT.

Again:

3. Thw Bills have expended the customary money for a plane ticket and Shelton has expended the time for a visit making this even more real.  It is important to me that the docs look at the strength and range of motion and cat scans of his leg because generally they do not lie. Before his injury he had a reputation as an iron man (an important thing which is actually JJ's big weakness since he has never played a full 16 in his career). If the docs judge his last downturn as probably related to an injury he is now recovered from I am real interested. Even if we are not interested by bringing him out we increase leverage om JJ, om potential trade partners for TH (maybe Miami jumps out of fear we might trade TH) and even leverages Shelton who comes with a cap hit which makes a trade (maybe you move him to RT, flip MW to LT is JMac judges him ready and do a simple restructure with Sheton converting is future base salaries to bonus which put money in his pocket today, gives us no greater payout to him each year he plays as his base salary is reduced to become bonus and we get the same cap hit savings in '04 we would get for trading or cutting Henry.

248040[/snapback]

sure the deal may happen.

doesn't mean it will turn out good for the Bills.

Adding Shelton is a good thing, just don't play him at LT.

Scouting Report

Assets Huge man with tremendous footwork. Great athlete for a 360-pounder. Can look like a shutdown pass protector for long stretches.

Flaws Doesn't have a killer instinct. Gets lazy and has concentration lapses. Isn't a conditioning fanatic and will get fat.

Career potential Above average starter.

248011[/snapback]

Lazy. Fat. Yay.

Lets hope that the guy writing this scouting report is Mike Florio :P Or, that Shelton was just not feeling it on a losing team, ala Corey Dillon.