Help from this draft-class is already fading (Williams DUI)

Ronin

It is difficult to give a large amount of attention to such a weak topic.

You have the bare minimum of my attention.

And yet, as part of the aforementioned amusement, you feel impelled to comment.

Again, this is highly amusing.

Potential to be what, exactly?

I'd answer that if I didn't think that the response wouldn't get lost in the Bermuda Triangle with you.

Think about what I said tho, the other part of my comment. Piece the two things together, ... yes, they are related, and then see if you cannot muster enough mental wherewithal to draw a reasonable conclusion to be able to answer your own question. Frankly, I'm skeptical.

Why don't you listen to a Rex Ryan and/or Doug Whaley press conference this offseason. Adolphus Washington AND Kyle Williams are the penciled in starters at DE with Dareus in the middle. That's a fact. Ragland can cover about as well as Brandon Spikes could which is OK, but not great. Again, they didn't move up in the draft to get a COVERAGE linebacker. It's stupid if you think they did. In terms of Lawson, he was a known issue to FANS. You suggesting that somehow, the front office didn't know about something that fans did is also pretty stupid. For the rest of the draft picks, I really don't care. They're TBD. None the less, the sky isn't falling like you think it is. You've created it in your warped mind where only you can see it.

OK, so you willing to make a wager that backs that up?

Do you always put credence into what our FO says? What about other teams' front offices, do you believe everything that they say too?

And again, so they're going to play 3 interior D-linemen then on a regular basis such that all three get starter snaps? You really believe this nonsense?

Honestly, I think they could sell fans anything this time of year.

Edited by TaskersGhost

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, yes, let's talk looking in the mirror, shall we.

The "best case" for Lawson is mid-October. And what, you expect him to hit the field in mid-season form for a vet after this? Really?

IMO that's a horribly ignorant viewpoint to think that someone that will have gone what he's gone through, and a completely unproven rookie that's got no better chance of exceling than any other rookie out there in a field where it will be beating odds if even 50% of the 1st-rounders play as they're expected to, that he's going to come in and make a significant impact even remotely soon after returning after missing all of camp, preseason, and a good chunk of the regular season.

Then you mention Watkins, if he makes it through this season without further injury issues that'll be a miracle in and of itself. And your suggestion that his "running sprints" is even close to the vigors of an NFL season, ... seriously?

You're out of touch.

Every single report from back in May was that he would miss 5-6 months...that puts him back mid-October. I don't think I said he'd be in midseason form; I believe I said that it's foolish to assume he can't or won't contribute this season.

Speaking of out of touch, how about you actually acknowledge that you totally mischaracterize Watkins' injury issues 100% of the time. He's missed 3 games, and he went on a complete tear when he came back from his last injury last year. He put up the best numbers of any WR in the NFL not named Antonio Brown (a point you have yet to concede because you either haven't read the links I've provided the last 3 times we had this discussion or because you aren't willing to admit that your point about him has no merit).

And yes, if a guy is running sprints full-speed, that means he's already cleared or very close to being cleared to run patterns and work at full speed. Two months is plenty of time for a professional athlete to get into game shape.

Edited by thebandit27

I'd answer that if I didn't think that the response wouldn't get lost in the Bermuda Triangle with you.

Think about what I said tho, the other part of my comment. Piece the two things together, ... yes, they are related, and then see if you cannot muster enough mental wherewithal to draw a reasonable conclusion to be able to answer your own question. Frankly, I'm skeptical.

If you want a wager, I suggest you join DraftKings and not live in NY. Seriously, this is supposed to be a discussion board. Massage your ego elsewhere. There's a million things that can and will happen between now and the first game of the season. Only a complete fool would think anything is set in stone.

BTW, yes, let's talk looking in the mirror, shall we.

The "best case" for Lawson is mid-October. And what, you expect him to hit the field in mid-season form for a vet after this? Really?

IMO that's a horribly ignorant viewpoint to think that someone that will have gone what he's gone through, and a completely unproven rookie that's got no better chance of exceling than any other rookie out there in a field where it will be beating odds if even 50% of the 1st-rounders play as they're expected to, that he's going to come in and make a significant impact even remotely soon after returning after missing all of camp, preseason, and a good chunk of the regular season.

Then you mention Watkins, if he makes it through this season without further injury issues that'll be a miracle in and of itself. And your suggestion that his "running sprints" is even close to the vigors of an NFL season, ... seriously?

You're out of touch.

Oh, and nice job (again) of ignoring every other point that you cannot easily shout down from my response. Just in case you missed them the first time, here's a re-post of the items you failed to respond to:

You ignore every point that runs contrary to whatever is your diatribe du jour. Vis-a-vis:

- You went totally obtuse in the discussion of the Bills' run game when it was pointed out to you that it makes no sense to remove QB rushing yards for Buffalo but not for the rest of the league.

- You've thrice refused to respond to two different articles that put into context Sammy Watkins' performance relative to his peers on a per-target and per-pass-attempt basis.

[snip]

- Shady finished in the top-12 of the league in rushing yards and top-half in yards/carry (and in the top 6 in yards/game) despite missing 3 games last year due to injury, so to assume he can't perform 2 months from now because he was held out of one practice with a hamstring tweak is presumptuous at best; it's flat-out silliness at worst.

[snip]

- Jonathan Williams' DWI does nothing to portend failure as a rookie. He could potentially miss time due to league suspension, but again, we're not talking about a wasted draft pick because he misses 2 games.

This isn't even close to the worst supporting cast in franchise history--compare the crop of Watkins, Woods, Clay, & McCoy to the 2011 group of Stevie, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler and Fred Jackson...please.

How did this go from DWI to Uber?? Wow! In this day and age DUI-DWI has changed a lot. The truth be told that now a couple beers can get you in trouble. Years ago it was a couple of pitchers. The witch hunt has been on for a couple years. Lets be honest now. We all have had one to many and drove. I'm saying that and am 71.

Because WNY is being shut out from even having Uber as a resource.

It's not the best-case; every single report from back in May was that he would miss 5-6 months...that puts him back mid-October. I don't think I said he'd be in midseason form; I believe I said that it's foolish to assume he can't or won't contribute this season.

Speaking of out of touch, how about you actually acknowledge that you totally mischaracterize Watkins' injury issues 100% of the time. He's missed 3 games, and he went on a complete tear when he came back from his last injury last year. He put up the best numbers of any WR in the NFL not named Antonio Brown (a point you have yet to concede because you either haven't read the links I've provided the last 3 times we had this discussion or because you aren't willing to admit that your point about him has no merit).

And yes, if a guy is running sprints full-speed, that means he's already cleared or very close to being cleared to run patterns and work at full speed. Two months is plenty of time for a professional athlete to get into game shape.

As to Lawson, contribute how then? What, in a mediocre manner? Even if that's the case as I stated originally and have taken heat for, he won't be a factor this season. Mediocrity is not what we need. We don't even know if he's any good yet even if he didn't get hurt. I realize that this is foreign to many of you, but most draft picks, for all teams, don't work out the way that teams think that they will. We're not exempt from that. If you think we are then you're not seeing things realistically. It's also unrealistic, entirely, to consider that Lawson is going to come back in mid-October, if that's even when it happens since that's the current best-case for his return, and play as if he hadn't missed all of camp and preseason and a month and a half of the regular season.

Apparently you think otherwise.

As to Watkins, he's been slowed by injuries in most of his games. He's been massively inconsistent, for reasons that you may consider relevant or not, to the extent that he has had more poor games than great ones, so even if he isn't hindered with his current or future injuries he still has to step up quite a bit and even then he's one of two starting WRs. We do not have another bona fide starter at WR.

As to his injury, despite the silence from OBD on the topic, all signs point to his injury as being a Jones fracture. Yeah yeah, I get the fact because the team hasn't come clean that it can't possibly be the case, just like they cleared Lawson prior to the draft, I get that. But otherwise if it is, and again, that seems to be the case given the facts of it, then he still has quite the hurdle to clear before playing and playing all season. NFL history exists on that topic.

Gotta run, done being bored.

By all accounts Mario was awful last year. So anyone taking his spot is an upgrade if they at least givce some effort. When Lawson comes back for a playoff pushm it will be a bonus. If they are 2-8 when he is due to come back then put him on IR for next year.

This draft class is now all about Ragland. I was criticial of his selection worried that he can not be a 3 down player. Tie that with how bad Brown was last year, and Ragland becomes the key. If Ragland is solid and Brown bounces back the defense wil be much better, especially with a healthy A and K Williams.

As to Lawson, contribute how then? What, in a mediocre manner? Even if that's the case as I stated originally and have taken heat for, he won't be a factor this season. Mediocrity is not what we need. We don't even know if he's any good yet even if he didn't get hurt. I realize that this is foreign to many of you, but most draft picks, for all teams, don't work out the way that teams think that they will. We're not exempt from that. If you think we are then you're not seeing things realistically. It's also unrealistic, entirely, to consider that Lawson is going to come back in mid-October, if that's even when it happens since that's the current best-case for his return, and play as if he hadn't missed all of camp and preseason and a month and a half of the regular season.

As to Watkins, he's been slowed by injuries in most of his games. He's been massively inconsistent, for reasons that you may consider relevant or not, to the extent that he has had more poor games than great ones, so even if he isn't hindered with his current or future injuries he still has to step up quite a bit and even then he's one of two starting WRs. We do not have another bona fide starter at WR.

As to his injury, despite the silence from OBD on the topic, all signs point to his injury as being a Jones fracture. Yeah yeah, I get the fact because the team hasn't come clean that it can't possibly be the case, just like they cleared Lawson prior to the draft, I get that. But otherwise if it is, and again, that seems to be the case given the facts of it, then he still has quite the hurdle to clear before playing and playing all season. NFL history exists on that topic.

Laters PLRB

Do you always put credence into what our FO says? What about other teams' front offices, do you believe everything that they say too?

And again, so they're going to play 3 interior D-linemen then on a regular basis such that all three get starter snaps? You really believe this nonsense?

Honestly, I think they could sell fans anything this time of year.

Its just car accident syndrom......you should not think you are producing thoughtful insight

Okay, well when you're back, here's yet a 4th opportunity to respond to the same point I've made on Watkins and his supposed "inconsistency":

http://www.footballperspective.com/guest-post-adam-harstad-on-sammy-watkins/

http://nysportsbiz.com/2016/01/04/sammy-watkins-arguably-nfls-top-wr-2nd-half-season/

2nd best WR in the NFL behind Antonio Brown for the last half of 2016. So sayeth the numbers. This on the team with the highest run percentage in the NFL.

And once again, the guy is running full speed 2 months before the season starts; the trepidation you show is overplayed.

As to Lawson, you are saying in the same sentence that even if he contributes he won't be a factor. That is, by literal definition, wrong. I also said what I did and did not expect out of him, so I'm not sure how and why you're confused.

What I am sure of, however, is that I'm done responding to you. There's no real discussion to be had if all you're wont to do is ignore what you don't like and carry on.

It's not been a good off-season injury/luck wise. But hopefully things shake out positively. I am not uber optimistic but I am not ready to throw in the towel on the season yet either. A lot of these set backs are more so going to be guys missing training camp time which isn't a huge deal.

How did this go from DWI to Uber?? Wow! In this day and age DUI-DWI has changed a lot. The truth be told that now a couple beers can get you in trouble. Years ago it was a couple of pitchers. The witch hunt has been on for a couple years. Lets be honest now. We all have had one to many and drove. I'm saying that and am 71.

because some of us have done seriously stupid things and don't believe just because "we got away without hurting someone" that it should be allowed.

Seriously? You cannot understand how more fans than not are more critical and skeptical than optimistic? Really?

You understand that this isn't true? Right? Given the increase in ticket sales alone is enough to make this theory seem...quaint. If you have a poll or study or something that shows most fans have a negative outlook on the upcoming Bills season, I'd love to see it.

The problem is that a lot of us who are critical of the team end up reading idiotic comment from a small portion of posters that offer up crazy, unsubstantiated negative outlooks. It's incredibly annoying that there are many things that I think are wrong, but I end up having to slog through the insanity of few of the chosen realists that by the time I go to post something critical I end up posting something against some asinine crackpot theory that the Bills are doomed because a 5th round draft pick got a DUI.

I'm not, not at all. But the cab industry is HEAVILY regulated, to the extent that competition with ride sharing companies isn't even possible.

Then the problem is the archaic business model, not the better mousetrap that has been invented and works spectacularly well.

That cabbies had to pay governments thousands of dollars, in many cases hundreds of thousands of dollars for the badges that allowed them to operate when Uber drivers don't have to do a thing gives the cabbies a bit of a beef. That and Uber's (amongst others) willfill destruction of the current employer employee relationship is enough to make me not use the service, convenient though it may be.

For example, in Philadelphia, a new cab medallion costs 350 thousand dollars. For one.

That might be the stupidest attempt at justifying something I've ever read. Uber is bad because a corrupt monopoly drove up its entry price to absurd levels? And 'cabbies' don't own medallions. Cabbies work for the handful of companies who own them and manipulate the market.

We won't even get into the idiotic 'employer/employee relationship' comment.

Edited by KD in CA

Quite unjustifiably so. Unless you're ok with unions driving out competitive marketplace forces at the expense of lower prices and better service.

yes...because legitimate cabbies already have it so easy...don't start this anti-union crap here...

There are plenty of things I've done that I'll say I shouldn't. And I should catch flack for those.

I'll also say that this isn't one of them.