Saw Sir Paul McCartney last night in Philly

The Poojer

I just like being front row. There's a connection with the band. I was on my phone actually looking up the lyrics of the song they were playing and David Schools looks at me and mouths "get off your phone" :lol:

Picture from the show.

7q3wNlc.jpg

For my first Jane's Addiction concert (Brandeis University indoor track - 1997), I abandoned the group I was with to get up to the front row. In !@#$ing sane. The gate separating the crowd from the stage broke during the first song and - as you can imagine - the force of everyone pushing from behind immediately gave way. Band had to take a break after the song so the gate could be repaired. I know one girl broke her ankle. I lasted four songs up there. It was just nothing but pushing, shoving, cramming and breathing in everyone's exhalations. I retreated to the back of the floor for the rest of the show and smoked the joint that somehow survived in my pocket. To this day, I put that concert in my personal top 5 all time.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my first Jane's Addiction concert (Brandeis University indoor track - 1997), I abandoned the group I was with to get up to the front row. In !@#$ing sane. The gate separating the crowd from the stage broke during the first song and - as you can imagine - the force of everyone pushing from behind immediately gave way. Band had to take a break after the song so the gate could be repaired. I know one girl broke her ankle. I lasted four songs up there. It was just nothing but pushing, shoving, cramming and breathing in everyone's exhalations. I retreated to the back of the floor for the rest of the show and smoked the joint that somehow survived in my pocket. To this day, I put that concert in my personal top 5 all time.

Much tamer at the shows I go to. There was a girl on the rail next to me. She said she had never been up front before. She was afraid it would be too loud but more afraid of being crushed. I said "don't worry. People up front are so cool they give you plenty of space. More room here than any place else." I don't think she believed me. I looked over during the show and she was so happy and having so much fun she gave me a hug and a kiss. LOL!!

Umphrey's McGee at Red Rocks. RR's is very cool because the stage in pretty much the same level as you are. Completely different view than looking up at the stage.

ln01THg.jpg

Much tamer at the shows I go to. There was a girl on the rail next to me. She said she had never been up front before. She was afraid it would be too loud but more afraid of being crushed. I said "don't worry. People up front are so cool they give you plenty of space. More room here than any place else." I don't think she believed me. I looked over during the show and she was so happy and having so much fun she gave me a hug and a kiss. LOL!!

Umphrey's McGee at Red Rocks. RR's is very cool because the stage in pretty much the same level as you are. Completely different view than looking up at the stage.

ln01THg.jpg

Plus, up front you get the monitor mix (for bands that still use floor monitors), which isn't a bad thing at all. The Cult crowd was surprisingly tame. Only one drunk dick (no, it wasn't me) and he was tossed before the first song was over.

I've only seen Red Rocks from the distance; our "tour guide" (aka local co-worker) drove us as close as he could, but Radiohead was playing that night. I know we're off topic, already, and I apologize to the O.P. But Radiohead is another band that I will never understand the love for.

RR was pretty cool. Not sure I'd go back without front row. At 10k it's too big for me. We saw Al Di Meola at a jazz club a few weeks ago. Maybe 500 people. We got the table against the stage somehow. Told my wife she'd not have to throw her panties on stage just set them there. :lol: She has the hots for him big time. Hard to blame her. Bit of a man crush here. Dude has not aged in the 40 years I've been listening to him.

wXmfJUk.jpg

Oh and Gug? Pooj is the OP so who cares. But seriously he's a music guy he'll appreciate the conversation.

Well, I just walked in the door and put my bag down. Wound up staying for Paul last night. It's a loooong story. I'm straight as an arrow these days, but I thought I was having a major flashback when I saw Bobby followed by Gronk on stage. WTF? Pooj is right about the sound. Awesome. Funny thing is I ran into people from Buffalo I haven't seen in years lol. Sleepy time now.

RR was pretty cool. Not sure I'd go back without front row. At 10k it's too big for me. We saw Al Di Meola at a jazz club a few weeks ago. Maybe 500 people. We got the table against the stage somehow. Told my wife she'd not have to throw her panties on stage just set them there. :lol: She has the hots for him big time. Hard to blame her. Bit of a man crush here. Dude has not aged in the 40 years I've been listening to him.

wXmfJUk.jpg

Oh and Gug? Pooj is the OP so who cares. But seriously he's a music guy he'll appreciate the conversation.

Wow, that must have been awesome.

Stanley Jordan played here in Glens Falls a while back at the Wood Theater, which holds less than 500 people. I found out about the concert after it happened because it was so poorly advertised. Pissed.

Well, I just walked in the door and put my bag down. Wound up staying for Paul last night. It's a loooong story. I'm straight as an arrow these days, but I thought I was having a major flashback when I saw Bobby followed by Gronk on stage. WTF? Pooj is right about the sound. Awesome. Funny thing is I ran into people from Buffalo I haven't seen in years lol. Sleepy time now.

Oh speaking of people from Buffalo. I was in line at The Fox in Oakland. I asked a guy where he was from. He said NY. I said where. He said Rochester. I said I was from Batavia (no one has heard of the town I'm from) and he said "holy ****, we played you guys in high school." That's a small world.

Wow, that must have been awesome.

Stanley Jordan played here in Glens Falls a while back at the Wood Theater, which holds less than 500 people. I found out about the concert after it happened because it was so poorly advertised. Pissed.

This was a Yoshi's. A sushi/jazz club. One in SF and one 10 minutes from our place in Oakland. Great lineup there and I'm on the mailing list. We've seen Al there a few times plus Stanley Clark a few years ago. I really love the Bay Area music scene.

Oh speaking of people from Buffalo. I was in line at The Fox in Oakland. I asked a guy where he was from. He said NY. I said where. He said Rochester. I said I was from Batavia (no one has heard of the town I'm from) and he said "holy ****, we played you guys in high school." That's a small world.

This was a Yoshi's. A sushi/jazz club. One in SF and one 10 minutes from our place in Oakland. Great lineup there and I'm on the mailing list. We've seen Al there a few times plus Stanley Clark a few years ago. I really love the Bay Area music scene.

Man, I would LOVE to see Stanley Clark. Lucky mo fo.

It was a decent show. The musicians he had in his band were all very young from some music school I think. But I did see him at the Greek in LA with Billy Cobham and Larry Carlton many years ago. One word for that show......... :o

It was a decent show. The musicians he had in his band were all very young from some music school I think. But I did see him at the Greek in LA with Billy Cobham and Larry Carlton many years ago. One word for that show......... :o

Yeah, that's a real HOF lineup. Wow. Best lineup I've seen - which was at the Albany Palace Theater (my favorite venue) and I weaseled up to the front row for - was the Experience Hendrix show a few years back:

Kenny Wayne Shepard, Johnny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Billy Cox, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Ana Popovich, and Bootsy Collins.

Yeah, that's a real HOF lineup. Wow. Best lineup I've seen - which was at the Albany Palace Theater (my favorite venue) and I weaseled up to the front row for - was the Experience Hendrix show a few years back:

Kenny Wayne Shepard, Johnny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Billy Cox, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Ana Popovich, and Bootsy Collins.

The Hendrix thing was at the Fox. Didn't make it

I saw Stanley Clarke a few years ago with Dennis Chambers on drums at Jazz Alley in Seattle. Probably 40 feet from the stage. I also saw him in Dallas on the Modern Man tour.

I have that album. The 20+ minute version of School Days is crazy good.

I'm seeing him Thursday in Hamilton with my wife and my 89 year old in-laws. Told my in-laws to bring ear plugs and my father in-law says 'no problem, I still have some from the Mack Truck plant' - He hasn't worked for Mack truck for at least 23 years!!!

I'm seeing him Thursday in Hamilton with my wife and my 89 year old in-laws. Told my in-laws to bring ear plugs and my father in-law says 'no problem, I still have some from the Mack Truck plant' - He hasn't worked for Mack truck for at least 23 years!!!

It's not that loud.

Well, 14 hours of blacked out sleep is good for the soul. It was quite the weekend. Can't believe it actually happened. Life is hilarious that way. Fun, fun, fun. I'm not entirely sure today will be productive. Oh well lol

Pooj - what was the "memorable moment" from the Philly show?

When my son and I saw them last summer, we had the "When I'm 64" wedding proposal.

BTW - Helter Skelter was one of my favorite parts of the show.

wedding proposal, after 74 year and the last one he had you would think he would be done with marrage.......

Audience members get pulled onstage and propose to each other, seems he does this routine at most shows.

wedding proposal, after 74 year and the last one he had you would think he would be done with marrage.......