Good MMQB piece by Injury-Prone Journeyman Shwartz

Great read, thanks for the link.

I think this is really interesting, coming from a player. I heard/read OL coaches say this, but never a player

I think I’m tired of people attacking the NFL game. Yes, it’s different than it was years ago, but it’s not dying and it’s not a worse product. Just look at how much money the NFL is making. If you want to find a factor that changed the game the most, look at two-a-day practices going away. Two-a-days is a phrase that makes all footballers cringe. The current CBA, under the premise of player safety, did away with two practices a day. But that decision dramatically changed the game. Blocking and tackling will never be the same without two-a-days. Those are skills that need constant repetition. I used to blame collegiate spread offenses for the general decline of O-line play, but the loss of reps is mostly to blame.

Great read, thanks for the link.

I think this is really interesting, coming from a player. I heard/read OL coaches say this, but never a player

the college spread is a BIG problem but do agree that lack of practice has effected blocking and tackling. But the awareness of concussions by the league has changed the League more than anything as football went from physical to soft. Also the emphasis on passing over running has greatly diminished physical play.

Biggest thing I got out of that is that there seems to be a less-than-subtle hint that Monroe got cut by Baltimore for his pot stance.

I know it's been mentioned before but it seems that idea took hold in locker rooms too.

There's no doubt in my mind that Geoff will be a great analyst of the game once he retires. He's intelligent and willing to share his insight. Offensive line play is something so crucial to the game and yet so little is understood or respected about OL play by the majority of football fans.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Bloke and other posters, Geoff Schwartz has now been a guest host for the Morning Drive on NFLR opposite Ross Tucker twice that I've heard, but I'm not on everyday. He did a nice job for a rookie host. I can imagine it's not easy to keep the conversation going for four hours.

You can tell he's preparing himself for post NFL. Smart guy and he is very proud he is a Jewish NFL player. To the OP, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy MMQB.

Good read, thanks for sharing. Totally agree with his take on fans/media equating "injury prone" with "soft." We all do that, and it's really not right. These guys take a beating.

the college spread is a BIG problem but do agree that lack of practice has effected blocking and tackling. But the awareness of concussions by the league has changed the League more than anything as football went from physical to soft. Also the emphasis on passing over running has greatly diminished physical play.

Its not soft by any means. Just tryin to keep guys out of wheelchairs, early dementia, brain/spine trauma and not chewing painkillers just to get out of bed.

Physical teams still win out. Denver and Seattle have proven that, winning recent championships with just a dozen qb completion and nasty defenses who play anything but soft.

Bloke and other posters, Geoff Schwartz has now been a guest host for the Morning Drive on NFLR opposite Ross Tucker twice that I've heard, but I'm not on everyday. He did a nice job for a rookie host. I can imagine it's not easy to keep the conversation going for four hours.

You can tell he's preparing himself for post NFL. Smart guy and he is very proud he is a Jewish NFL player. To the OP, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy MMQB.

I'll be honest, I don't pay much attention to a lot of NFL-related US media. I find most of it to be drivel. The podcast that he mentioned is well worth a listen. Duke is one of the smartest OL guys I've listened to.

I really hope Geoff follows the lead of Matt Bowen. Former journeyman player turned writer. Matt is probably the finest X's and O's writer out there. Informative without coming across as overcomplicated or dumbing down.

Back when the local ESPN affiliate radio station still had a decent afternoon show, Geoff Schwartz was a regular guest. Smart guy and a good candidate to have a nice career in radio or TV after he's retired from the NFL.

Biggest thing I got out of that is that there seems to be a less-than-subtle hint that Monroe got cut by Baltimore for his pot stance.

I know it's been mentioned before but it seems that idea took hold in locker rooms too

I am sure it was a factor but there are other factors as well; if he had been performing as well as his contract was paying him the Ravens would not have made the switch or would have tried to hold him longer attempting to trade but their salary cap issues prevented that.

He mentions in the article that he has/produces a podcast available in iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/block-em-up-with-geoff-duke/id1071989453?mt=2