Williams speech/Alton/Philando/Dallas shootings

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he just him that's what it was until he ran his license or whatever. Maybe one of our resident bills fan cops can tell us if this makes sense or not.

Seems I've been pulled over and they take my license back to the their car without telling me why I was pulled over.

Generally speaking, standard procedure is not to approach a vehicle that you suspect is being occupied by a felon. You get backup and you call them out. In the Castile case, we won't know until more reliable info is released...such as the in car video.

When I see flashing lights behind me I start to worry.

"Don't worry. I'm from the government. I'm here to help."

Hyperlink filled, click to view.

Is Philando Castile the Ultimate Casualty of Driving While Black?

On paper, he looked like a career criminal. But look closer.
By Robin Washington

It’s not yet publicly known if Officer Jeronimo Yanez ran the plates of the Oldsmobile Aurora that Philando Castile was driving before pulling him over in Falcon Heights, Minn., the night of July 6.

If he did — assuming Castile owned the car, also still unconfirmed — the computer in Yanez’s cruiser would have lit up like a Christmas tree. With at least 52 charges and 35 convictions over 14 years, Castile would seem to have the record of a career criminal.

Yet look closer and there’s no evidence of that. Minnesota courts list serious crime and driving records together, and Castile’s show no citations for criminal behavior beyond motor vehicle infractions and a dismissed marijuana charge.

In the heat of the moment of a police stop, that distinction could be lost on an officer scanning the record while maneuvering his quarry to a stop, says one prosecutor.

“If an officer has a report like that, it could cause an extra rush of adrenalin,” said Mark Rubin, the county attorney for Minnesota’s St. Louis County, about 130 miles north of the Twin Cities. “And there could be consequences.”

Rubin is not involved in the case. His personal reaction was “Wow!” when told of the extent of Castile’s file — before learning that none of it involved serious crime.

And virtually no safety violations, either. Castile, 32, had no drunk driving, hit-and-run or reckless driving charges. Except for two speeding tickets and a cryptic charge of “Public Nuisance-Interfere/Obstruct/Render Dangerous Public Road/Water,” none involved safety — save to himself, with three citations for failing to wear a seat belt. His most recent charge, in January, was a parking ticket for “abandon [ing a] motor vehicle on any public/private property without consent,” for which he was fined $36.

Mostly, the St. Paul public schools cafeteria supervisor was dogged by repeated charges of “no proof of insurance,” going back to 2002 when he still had his learner’s permit, and driving after suspension and, later, revocation of his license.

Some of the charges from Philando Castile's driving record
charges7.png
charges7.png

Fred Friedman, the retired chief public defender for Northeast Minnesota, called it unusual to be stopped so many times with no serious charges.

“It’s a big deal to get stopped 52 times. You can’t find somebody who’s been stopped 52 times and doesn’t have any felony convictions or drunk driving. That’s highly unusual,” he said.

“Why was his license revoked? Was it just this insurance nonsense?” he continued, noting there’s little chance that officers would know of Castile’s troubles with the Department of Motor Vehicles just by seeing him driving along. “Here’s the heart of it: Why did he keep getting stopped?”

Diamond Reynolds, Castile’s girlfriend, who live-streamed the harrowing events moments after the shooting as Castile lay dying in the driver’s seat next to her, said they were pulled over for a broken taillight. With an officer’s gun still trained on her, Reynolds also said Castile told the officer he had a concealed carry permit.

Yanez’s lawyer responded to the Associated Press that the St. Anthony, Minn., officer shot Castile not because Castile was black but because he saw a gun.

A report from KARE-TV presented unconfirmed audio purportedly from Yanez’s squad car before the shooting. In it, officers can be heard saying that Castile resembles a man who robbed a nearby gas station on July 2 because of his “wide set nose” — a remark Castile’s family has branded as racial profiling.

“I’m going to stop a car,” one of the officers says on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”

How valid that reason was is yet to be revealed, and may be answered following the investigation.

But why Castile was pulled over so frequently before that may never be explained — except perhaps by the accident of his birth, as a black male.

Robin Washington writes frequently about transportation and civil rights and is the former editor of Minnesota’s Duluth News Tribune. He may be reached at robin@robinwashington.com or via Twitter @robinbirk.

Can someone explain to me how you can be profiled in a moving car?

Seriously. How do cops see who's driving?

Like ExL, maybe he's just a horrible driver.

Easily. Any black looking one. Crown Vic with rims is a big one. Loud music, tinted windows.

Can someone explain to me how you can be profiled in a moving car?

Seriously. How do cops see who's driving?

Look through the window. Windshield going the other way even? Was there violations for overly tinted windows? You know cops hate tinted windows that are too dark. Why? Why do laws exist about tinting your front windows too much?

How does a cop tell, before they pull you over, if you have your insurance card on you?

Usually, if they're pulling you over for a traffic violation, you get the "Do you know why I pulled you over?" question. It's when they don't ask that, that I start to worry.

But any officer who pulls someone over and says "We have a report of an armed robbery; the suspect matches your description" has a death wish. That's a really good way to get shot.

or another good way to be shot is be a minority driving a vehicle.

#hashtag

Licence plate readers cause a lot of this too

there needs to be a meme of a reader showing red flags, bells and whistles for minorities.

Licence plate readers cause a lot of this too

One time a few years ago, I was on the expressway and a State trooper pulled me over. Nothing special, all he said was that he was reading plates and didn't recognize my Illinois plate... I have I&M (Illinois & Michigan) Canal plates... I was cordial and thanked him... Told him I am into history, work on the CAWs (Chicago Area Waterways) & that a certain amount of the reg fee for the plates go into the I&M historical corridor fund, stuff like restoration, recreation, etc... I&M is Illinois' version of the Erie Canal. The old canal is now defunct with canalization of the Illinois River, Des Paines River and other area waterways.

Anyway... I like to chat, but you would think he would have plate reading tech so as not to pester the general public... But again, I was cordial, I wasn't doing anything, going anywhere special. He didn't make me late for work, phuck up an appointment, etc...

Chicago police actually have to make contact with people they come across. Well, from what I hear... Don't know how true it is. They check id, and fill out a contact card with whom they come across with on their shifts. I imagine that would get on citizen's nerves... Have to suck always being pestered and checked out. But they got their quotas and have to make their supervisors happy.

For me... There are times I want to chat, times I don't. Times I got things to do and places to be. That is when I don't like being detained pestered for stupid BS that they probably know nothing about anyway. I tend to get cross in those situations. Just read my plate, you will see that I am clean. Wave, drive away. Sorry I can't do coffee and a donut.

Look through the window. Windshield going the other way even? Was there violations for overly tinted windows? You know cops hate tinted windows that are too dark. Why? Why do laws exist about tinting your front windows too much?

How does a cop tell, before they pull you over, if you have your insurance card on you?

One reason I hate tinted windows is that visually in heavy traffic it's useful to see through the car in front of you such as when traffic in front of the car in front of you is coming to an abrupt stop.

mrz071916dAPC20160720124518.jpg

Isn't that what they are for as a public servant? To serve and do their job without being overbearing, over-officious. I am not down with umbrellas, I will choose to go it alone at all costs if I could. I absolutely hate opening an umbrella... It is such a PITA. I am not sugar, I won't melt in the rain. I think the down with the umbrella thing is a convenient narrative that some like to spin.

Use them for what they are worth. Sure, then thank them. Sometimes I feel many in our society would just rather skip to the thanking and honoring part only.

Just do your job, serve others and be a good, selfless steward, of the people. You know a public servant. You know, the umbrella you see in this picture.

If they feel that position too deeply and not dignified, then they are in the wrong job.

You know... You start seeing this brotherhood of cheerful servitude without expecting any sunshine blown up your arse, you might just start to see change trickling down through various segments of society.

Respect is earned, not willed by force, not coerced through guilt.

Hearts and minds people.

One reason I hate tinted windows is that visually in heavy traffic it's useful to see through the car in front of you such as when traffic in front of the car in front of you is coming to an abrupt stop.

True. I think states only regulate front door windows and windshield.

Isn't that what they are for as a public servant? To serve and do their job without being overbearing, over-officious. I am not down with umbrellas, I will choose to go it alone at all costs if I could. I absolutely hate opening an umbrella... It is such a PITA. I am not sugar, I won't melt in the rain. I think the down with the umbrella thing is a convenient narrative that some like to spin.

Use them for what they are worth. Sure, then thank them. Sometimes I feel many in our society would just rather skip to the thanking and honoring part only.

Just do your job, serve others and be a good, selfless steward, of the people. You know a public servant. You know, the umbrella you see in this picture.

If they feel that position too deeply and not dignified, then they are in the wrong job.

You know... You start seeing this brotherhood of cheerful servitude without expecting any sunshine blown up your arse, you might just start to see change trickling down through various segments of society.

Respect is earned, not willed by force, not coerced through guilt.

Hearts and minds people.

We get it. You don't like cops because for some reason they offend you/treat you like ****. Sometimes the best thing to do is look in the mirror for the answer as to why certain things happen to you.

I hope someday you find yourself in an emergency and a cop comes to your aid. I hope you feel like the true ass you are when that event happens.

We get it. You don't like cops because for some reason they offend you/treat you like ****. Sometimes the best thing to do is look in the mirror for the answer as to why certain things happen to you.

I hope someday you find yourself in an emergency and a cop comes to your aid. I hope you feel like the true ass you are when that event happens.

I know why they happen to me:

ME

Same with everbody else. #BLM, #LEOs, included.

I am not complaining. Just trying to see the side you can't. I am blessed.

My Godfather was a police officer for 30 years. I don't resent cops. I just don't agree with the modern policing and the unholy marriage with the military. There is no place in civilian policing for the warrior mentality.

EDIT:

Oh: "...not coerced through guilt."

I think I did mention that.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I know why they happen to me:

ME

Same with everbody else. #BLM, #LEOs, included.

I am not complaining. Just trying to see the side you can't. I am blessed.

You're not complaining?? Dude you're on the verge of, if not already crossed, violating the TOS regarding personal crusades.

It's funny how you say you're the cause while the whole time blaming the "a-hole" police.

You're not complaining?? Dude you're on the verge of, if not already crossed, violating the TOS regarding personal crusades.

It's funny how you say you're the cause while the whole time blaming the "a-hole" police.

Sorry. No crusade, trust me.

I could have easily suck assed my way out of any of those situations. I chose not to. I did successfully win in court. I am 3/3 in the last 10 years.

I did mention a good story with the trooper? Want me to balance things more. I am just trying to relate to a side many here can't.

I get why most of these people have run ins with police... It is their own stupid, lazy, selfish side mixing with the stupid, selfish lazy side of the officer.

How is this a crusade? It takes two to tango. Tell me this Mr.Libertarian. You are frustrated w/big gov't, laws, etc... Tell me, who's doing the enforcing?

Sorry to confound you.

I could have easily suck assed my way out of any of those situations. I chose not to. I did successfully win in court. I am 3/3 in the last 10 years.

I did mention a good story with the trooper? Want me to balance things more. I am just trying to relate to a side many here can't.

I get why most of these people have run ins with police... It is their own stupid, lazy, selfish side mixing with the stupid, selfish lazy side of the officer.

How is this a crusade? It takes two to tango. Tell me this Mr.Libertarian. You are frustrated w/big gov't, laws, etc... Tell me, who's doing the enforcing?

Sorry to confound you.

I second the motion of crusade.

I final vote the opinion it is also you.

I'm an !@#$ and break the law every time I get behind the wheel. Yet I'm not pulled over all that often. And when I am, which was 3 times in the last year all just wondering why I was out late, maybe a weave etc... what you'd call harassing... and I didn't give two *****.

Sorry to confound you.

Sorry to confound you but I am far from a Libertarian. One can be frustrated with big government but very satisfied with the laws. As a matter of fact I'm on record here as saying that's one of the things I dislike about the Bay Area is they don't enforce laws.

I second the motion of crusade.

I final vote the opinion it is also you.

I'm an !@#$ and break the law every time I get behind the wheel. Yet I'm not pulled over all that often. And when I am, which was 3 times in the last year all just wondering why I was out late, maybe a weave etc... what you'd call harassing... and I didn't give two *****.

I was pulled over 3 times in 10 YEARS. 4 if you count the chat with Smokey the Bear.

Sorry to confound you but I am far from a Libertarian. One can be frustrated with big government but very satisfied with the laws. As a matter of fact I'm on record here as saying that's one of the things I dislike about the Bay Area is they don't enforce laws.

Oops. Sorry, I have you mixed up w/somebody else.

Speaking of somebody else, not that somebody else. Where is our good buddy TYTT? Did I miss something? I wonder what his take on the recent practice of militarized copping is?