Police Shamelessly cite Terrorism in Patrolling Private Lots

Fingon

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/22/orchard-park-board-discusses-proposal-for-police-access-to-private-parking-lots-on-game-days-at-stadium/

“The issue is public safety,” Supervisor Patrick J. Keem said. “Unfortunately in our society in general, there have been some breakdowns in behavior.”

In particular, the threat of terrorism was cited as the main reason that police want access to private lots.

Police Chief Mark F. Pacholec, who recently attended a National Football League security conference, said that there have already been a number of plots interrupted at games. He also described suspicious incidents at Bills games, with people caught conducting surveillance on the stadium.

Bull ****, we all know the primary reason is that you don't want people destroying folding tables on youtube. It's pretty shameful that they would use the guise of terrorism to justify stopping people from breaking tables. No one was talking about this before a year ago. Let's go back a little bit and see what Mark Poloncarz had to say last season:

That’s what Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz says about the video of a man jumping on a burning table, catching his pants on fire Sunday. It’s the latest in a string of videos to end up on a national website called Deadspin, and whether it’s Bills fans having sex in the open or people doing dangerous stunts, County Executive Mark Poloncarz has had enough. “We want our community to cheer for the Bills, which means it would be nice if you could take a ten year old to a football game, but I’m not so certain I’d want to take a ten year old when you’ve got all this stuff going on outside the stadium.”

Police believe Sunday’s stunt happened on a private lot, and Poloncarz believes it may be time to start patrolling even those. He plans to have multiple discussions with the Sheriff’s Office, Orchard Park Police and possibly State Police to try an bring security outside the Stadium to a new level before next season. “We need to, as a community, stand up and say enough’s enough. We don’t want to be the laughing stock of idiocy so to speak.”

http://wivb.com/2016/01/04/county-officials-react-to-bills-fan-behavior/

Edited by Fingon

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't you simply deny a police officer from entering your private property without just cause or a warrant? Would tailgating be considered just cause to enter private property?

You have to get a permit to be able to have people park on your lot. They are trying to have the requirement to waive your 4th amendment rights in order to get a permit. Interesting that this all starts the season after Bills fans go viral on youtube. It's definitely about terrorism, though.

so let me digest this.. they are using the word "terrorism" to justify patrolling a bunch of beer drinking, hard working bills fans?? but.. a guy shoots 49 people dead in a nightclub in the name of radical islam, which the current administration refuses to acknowledge?? color me perplexed.

Edited by dwight in philly

so let me digest this.. they are using the word "terrorism" to justify patrolling a bunch of beer drinking, hard working bills fans?? but.. a guy shoots 49 people dead in a nightclub in the name of radical islam, which the current administration refuses to acknowledge?? color me perplexed.

You never know when you will encounter radicalized Bills fans. You know, the ones that pledge allegiance to OJ before going on killing sprees...

When Bills fans stop behaving like hooligans at a rowdy Phish concert, they'll have a legitimate cause to complain about these types of things. The behavior in and around the stadium is intolerable. People need to grow the f- up.

At least they can be honest about it and not claim they are doing it to fight terrorism.

Call me crazy, but I don't have a problem with an officer walking through a private lot (until someone explains how this impacts my ability to have fun and enjoy the game day experience).

1000% agree. If they want to stop people from acting like drunken idiots, so be it. I have said for years that a Bills game would be an easy target for a terrorist attack. I'm glad the police are looking at being more proactive.

Then you get the you tube video of some fan getting the crap kicked out of him and everyone is drunk

but hey.....lets make law enforcement the villian

They wouldn't be the villain if they were just upfront about the reason for patrolling the lots.

They wouldn't be the villain if they were just upfront about the reason for patrolling the lots.

not that I would expect anything to happen. But do you really feel that Terrorism is not a legitimate concern? Especially in a place where almost 80k people are gathering.

Just another curious question... Do you fee that guns should be banned so criminals cannot get their hands on them?

not that I would expect anything to happen. But do you really feel that Terrorism is not a legitimate concern? Especially in a place where almost 80k people are gathering.

Just another curious question... Do you fee that guns should be banned so criminals cannot get their hands on them?

Terrorism is a legitimate concern, but let's not act like that's the reason for this. The real reason is that Mark Poloncarz has been breathing down their necks trying to stop Bills fans from going viral on YouTube. We literally have him saying that he will be doing exactly that. Let's also not act like terrorism is a new concern, as 9/11 happened 15 years ago. It's awfully strange they need to patrol people's back yards for terrorists after Deadspin posts a "Year in Bills Fans" video.