Stadium Naming Rights

Look for PSE to sell the naming rights in the near future. Pegulas can't ask the state and county for any renovation or new build money when they aren't exhausting all of their own revenue streams.

Terry noted at a business luncheon roughly a year ago that he wouldn't sell the rights "yet." I could see them incorporating Ralph's name into whatever deal they make, someway somehow.

Any thoughts on good fits? New Era seems perfect.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's a part of the new stadium revenue. I don't think that it comes until then. You are probably only talking $5-$7M a year. It's isn't a ton.

Delaware North seems like the natural fit to me. They can invest the cash to help offset the privately financed portion. If the privately financed portion is $400M and the public part is $400M I could see Delaware North picking up $200M of that. It would be a combination of naming rights and their concession deal.

I hope it is structured like a players contract with a large signing bonus at beginning by company which is paying for naming rights; often these companies go bankrupt and that way the Bills can sell it again.

I think that it's a part of the new stadium revenue. I don't think that it comes until then. You are probably only talking $5-$7M a year. It's isn't a ton.

Delaware North seems like the natural fit to me. They can invest the cash to help offset the privately financed portion. If the privately financed portion is $400M and the public part is $400M I could see Delaware North picking up $200M of that. It would be a combination of naming rights and their concession deal.

I'd rather the Bills' Stadium NOT be named after a company which is trying to do a money grab and trademarked "Yosemite National Park" and other national names.

".

I have heard Delaware North was interested in helping out in the past, but I never truly understood what this means?

Why would they give hundreds of millions of dollars for the concession right? Do they make that much? And if so, why are they and other concession companies not doing that now or in the past on other stadiums?

Seems like the NFL teams would want to negotiate that seperately to keep all that they can?

Which is why I am confused as to why Deleware North would want to do this?

A drop in the bucket.

New stadium plus or minus a billion. Top 10 rights deals start at 200 million and the Bills won't have a namer close to that.

When you say $200 million, is that for one year or the entire contract? What is the per year value? Also what is your source for this figure?

As a comparable, The Jaguars got $43MM for 10 years from Everbank in 2014. So is $5MM/yr doable in Buffalo?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

In NYS, a guy who made his billions from fracking is never going to get 400 million of state money for his stadium.

What would you consider a reasonable value for naming rights of an NFL stadium, even one in Buffalo?

It's whatever the market will bring. But the top 10 deals of all US stadium/arenas begin at 200 million. I don't see any company in Buffalo that will offer that (or need to) to get the rights.

In NYS, a guy who made his billions from fracking is never going to get 400 million of state money for his stadium.

It's whatever the market will bring. But the top 10 deals of all US stadium/arenas begin at 200 million. I don't see any company in Buffalo that will offer that (or need to) to get the rights.

The engineering firm I worked for did TONS of work in the fracking field, and we were awarded state contracts with astonishing regularity.

I'd be surprised if they don't get funding from the state.

You keep throwing around the $200MM number but you don't say under what terms. $200MM/yr? Over 10 years? Again, I ask where did you get that figure? Also who said that only Buffalo companies buy naming rights? If Jax got $43MM/10 yrs then Buffalo is worth at least $50MM/10 yrs in 2016-17.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We shall see. The public-private partnerships seem to be the norm recently. I wouldn't be even a little surprised at $400M.

Not sure where you are getting $200M on a naming rights deal? I was thinking $5M a year over 20 years.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Shocked I'd be.

Indeed.

If the public wants to share in the revenue of the stadium, the least they could do is contribute public funds to a guy that's spent hundreds of millions of dollars into revitalizing an economically unstable region.

The engineering firm I worked for did TONS of work in the fracking field, and we were awarded state contracts with astonishing regularity.

I'd be surprised if they don't get funding from the state.

Is the state giving your firm money just because it asks for it.. or does it do work for the state and gets paid for that work?

You keep throwing around the $200MM number but you don't say under what terms. $200MM/yr? Over 10 years? Again, I ask where did you get that figure? Also who said that only Buffalo companies buy naming rights? If Jax got $43MM/10 yrs then Buffalo is worth at least $50MM/10 yrs in 2016-17.

For real? Google it.

Forbes in January:

Biggest U.S. Venue Naming-Rights Deals

Total Length value of deal Stadium Team Sponsor ($mil) (years) MetLife Stadium New York Jets/Giants MetLife $450 25 AT&T Stadium Dallas Cowboys AT&T 400 20 Citi Field New York Mets Citigroup 400 20 Mercedes-Benz Stadium Atlanta Falcons Mercedes-Benz 310 27 Reliant Stadium Houston Texans NRG Energy 300 30 SunTrust Park Atlanta Braves SunTrust Banks 250 25 Gillette Stadium New England Patriots Gillette 240+ 30 Levi’s Stadium San Francisco 49ers Levi Strauss 220 20 FedEx Field Washington Redskins FedEx 205 27 Barclays Center Brooklyn Nets Barclays 200 20 U.S. Bank Stadium Minnesota Vikings U.S. Bancorp 200 20 Philips Arena Atlanta Hawks Philips 185 20

Anyway, all stadium rights stretch over 20-30 years depending on the amount pledged. 50 million over 10 years sounds about right for Buffalo. A drop in the bucket.

Edited by Mr. WEO

New Era field at Ralph Wilson Stadium, similar to Sports Authority Field at Mile High

If that were to happen, I hope that it works out better for New Era than it did for Sports Authority . . . .

Shocked I'd be.

Some change for "infrastructure" maybe.

Indeed.

If the public wants to share in the revenue of the stadium, the least they could do is contribute public funds to a guy that's spent hundreds of millions of dollars into revitalizing an economically unstable region.

They do? Anyway, the second bolded part is an interesting concept. Because a guy has become a developer (speculator, essentially), he should be repaid for his speculation with public funds for the part of his empire that is a guaranteed profit maker? No thanks.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Here's some real numbers to cogitate over.

"After the 49ers move out of Candlestick Park, just seven stadiums will remain in the league without sponsorship: Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Chiefs), Cowboys Stadium (Dallas Cowboys), the Georgia Dome (Atlanta Falcons), Lambeau Field (Green Bay Packers), Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati Bengals), Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo Bills), and Soldier Field (Chicago Bears)."

Here's some real numbers to cogitate over.

"After the 49ers move out of Candlestick Park, just seven stadiums will remain in the league without sponsorship: Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City Chiefs), Cowboys Stadium (Dallas Cowboys), the Georgia Dome (Atlanta Falcons), Lambeau Field (Green Bay Packers), Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati Bengals), Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo Bills), and Soldier Field (Chicago Bears)."

You can cross Atlanta and Dallas of that list (Mercedes & AT&T)