Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/05/sabres-okposo-hospitalized-icu-department/

"Okposo is in the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General Hospital, Paul Hamilton of WGR-AM 550 reported Wednesday. The Buffalo News has confirmed the story.

website for the UCLA Neurosurgery Department, the neuro ICU cares for patients with all types of neurosurgical and neurological injuries, including stroke, brain hemorrhage, trauma and tumors."

Spooky stuff. Prayers for Okposo. I really hope he is ok.

Wow. That's scary. I hope he is ok.

I know its sacrosanct around here, but ROR has not exactly had a stellar season either. Getting better seasons out of Gionta and Foligno than anyone expected, ROR needed to step his game up...and he has not. Not awful, just not as good as last year.

ROR was simply over-used. He played too many minutes, including special units, that left him exhausted. O'Reilly's game is not about flash or explosion. He is one of the best two way players in the game whose game was not near his normal level because he was worn down. I'm also starting to be concerned with the enormous amount of minutes that Risto plays. Although he is a young player the accumulated minutes takes a toll on a player, especially as the season advances.

Does any playoff team wind up with a more favorable path than the Rangers? They're going to face the Habs, who they may very well wind up ahead of in terms of points on the season. They get placed into the fairly weak Atlantic division while the top three teams in the entire NHL point-wise (or 3 of the top 4) have to fight through each other. I'd say Washington gets a little break when they get Ottawa/Boston/Toronto, but they're still the Craps and probably will find a way to screw up. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Rags in the Finals simply because they avoided some wear and tear.

I'll be curious to see if Columbus might be able to make some waves now that Letang is done. Their first round opponent just got a bit weaker. Are they still throwing stiffs like Ruhwedel back there on a nightly basis?

I know its sacrosanct around here, but ROR has not exactly had a stellar season either. Getting better seasons out of Gionta and Foligno than anyone expected, ROR needed to step his game up...and he has not. Not awful, just not as good as last year.

As of 2 weeks ago he was leading EVERY forward in the NHL in ice time. That's not a good thing and it's reflected in his production at both ends of the ice.

On WGR they were talking about the Nylander, Rodrigues and Ennis line. This is without a doubt a speed line and a skill line. This was by far Ennis's best game. He probably was the standout player in the game for us. As mentioned on the radio Nylander kept his game simple and didn't look out of place. It's obvious that he is skilled but also he has a good feel for the game. If there was one surprise player for us in this disappointing season it was Rodriques. I thought he was a throw in addition but he is better than that.

One of the major positive developments for me is the play of Evander Kane. It's not so much that he scored at a good clip but that he tamed his wild game and played within the unit with his linemates.

With the news about Okposo it put a pall on this game and the rest of the season. I'm hoping it quickly gets better.

On WGR they were talking about the Nylander, Rodrigues and Ennis line. This is without a doubt a speed line and a skill line. This was by far Ennis's best game. He probably was the standout player in the game for us. As mentioned on the radio Nylander kept his game simple and didn't look out of place. It's obvious that he is skilled but also he has a good feel for the game. If there was one surprise player for us in this disappointing season it was Rodriques. I thought he was a throw in addition but he is better than that.

One of the major positive developments for me is the play of Evander Kane. It's not so much that he scored at a good clip but that he tamed his wild game and played within the unit with his linemates.

With the news about Okposo it put a pall on this game and the rest of the season. I'm hoping it quickly gets better.

Rodrigues was a solid player, but nothing special at BU until Eichel showed up. I really didn't expect much out of him. It's good to see him being a productive player now even though he's not out there with Eichel. It's really tough to see the development of a guy at the NCAA level when you're switched over onto a line with an all world talent, but kudos to this scouting department for being able to see it.

Edit: And I forgot to mention that the explosion in Rodrigues' game once he was paired with Eichel is the exact thing I hope that Jack can also bring to the NHL level. Whether it's Nylander or one of the other young guys, I want Jack to be able to bring out the best in whoever his linemate winds up being.

Edited by shrader

Not sure who your coach will be by the time Nylander is up full time, but if he puts him on a line with this caliber of players, he should be fired on the spot. I get why he is on that line now, but when he's ready, playing with anyone less than your best players will be criminal.....

The cupboard was pretty bare when he got here, really. The deal that kinda pissed me off was for O'Reilly because it contained both Compher AND the 31st pick in the draft. If it was one or the other I'd have probably been OK with it but I don't see how taking McGinn's expiring contract (then not keeping him) makes sense with the 4 assets we sent. I was happy to see Grigorenko go because he has bust written all over him (thanks Darcy).

The Lehner move is either going to look great or really stupid. There isn't much middle ground. I don't subscribe to not trading First round picks above the high teens (traditionally they have a ridiculous bust rate) but for Lehner?

I disagree they were bare. Many publications and blogs had the Sabres' prospect pool in the top 3-5 in the league. They had a glut of upcoming 1st-3rd round picks. Plus the promise of trading a few more pending UFAs in Miller and Ott, as well as having a highly coveted piece in Tyler Myers

Just the trade of Brayden McNabb is a microcosm of the consistent bleeding of assets. McNabb AND (2) 2nd round picks for Fasching and Deslauriers. Other high end prospects/picks they have gotten rid of are Armia, Zadorov, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Brendan Lemieux (who was a recent 1st pick in round 2), Compher, and previously mentioned Myers. I know now in hindsight, some of those prospects arent as valuable, but a few years ago they had real value.

Traded a 2nd rounder for Gorges, a 1st in the Kane trade (along with Myers who was rumored to be bringing back a high end return)., a 1st for Lehner, 1st pick in the second round in the OReilly trade, burned a 3rd for Vesey, burned a 3rd in the Pysyk trade, and a 4th getting Nilsson.

And now, there isnt much to show for it. It was exciting, the Sabres holding all those picks with an incoming GM who supposedly was a drafting expert. The Sabres do not have much depth, and Rochester is bare. Some of these picks really need to pan out.

I disagree they were bare. Many publications and blogs had the Sabres' prospect pool in the top 3-5 in the league. They had a glut of upcoming 1st-3rd round picks. Plus the promise of trading a few more pending UFAs in Miller and Ott, as well as having a highly coveted piece in Tyler Myers

Just the trade of Brayden McNabb is a microcosm of the consistent bleeding of assets. McNabb AND (2) 2nd round picks for Fasching and Deslauriers. Other high end prospects/picks they have gotten rid of are Armia, Zadorov, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Brendan Lemieux (who was a recent 1st pick in round 2), Compher, and previously mentioned Myers. I know now in hindsight, some of those prospects arent as valuable, but a few years ago they had real value.

Traded a 2nd rounder for Gorges, a 1st in the Kane trade (along with Myers who was rumored to be bringing back a high end return)., a 1st for Lehner, 1st pick in the second round in the OReilly trade, burned a 3rd for Vesey, burned a 3rd in the Pysyk trade, and a 4th getting Nilsson.

And now, there isnt much to show for it. It was exciting, the Sabres holding all those picks with an incoming GM who supposedly was a drafting expert. The Sabres do not have much depth, and Rochester is bare. Some of these picks really need to pan out.

I don't want to go through all the transactions you listed but I will address a couple of them. Lemieux was not going to sign with Buffalo for whatever reason (as you noted). So he was a lost player from the beginning. That's something that the franchise had no control over. So including him in the deal isn't a loss because basically we didn't have him.

The legend of McNabb is an illusion that keeps coming up. There is nothing special about him. He doesn't dress for a lot of games for the team he is playing on. He's an inconsequential player in a world where plenty of inconsequential can be had. So there is no loss there. With respect to the Kane deal, at least for me, getting back consistent goal scorer is a net plus for the team. I come to the same conclusion on the O'Reilly deal. Getting him in a deal is a plus for the team he lands with.

When a team makes a deal you have to give up assets: give talent to get back talent. You're not dealing with fools. The calculation you make for what is overall best for your team is not the same calculation that your trading partner is making for themselves. So the issue really isn't who got the best of the deal ---it comes down to does it improve your roster.

I and others have offered our judgment on the Lehner deal. Most of us felt that it wasn't a good deal. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a reasonable deal. I believe that the deal that the GM declined for Fowler was the right approach to take because I believe in the long run Nylander is going to be a quality player for us.

My basic view on Murray's wheeling and dealing is that it is a net plus. And my basic view on him is that I would rather have an active GM than a passive GM who is hesitant to make moves to upgrade the roster.

Well, if they cant extend/re-sign Kane, or if he gets into hot water this Summer, that is a huge waste. Hopefully he wants to stay. Kulikov too. He walks and that Pysyk and a 3rd is basically for zilch.

The master plan IMO was to draft top end players as well as a cupboard full of developing prospects, to create a strong, deep organization. Murray spent a lot of assets to 'speed the rebuild' and got various guys in who he personally coveted/scouted for Ottawa (Carrier, Fasching, Lehner, Kane, Kulikov, probably Bogosian, OReilly). Also signing Okposo.

The step back this season was a big failure. They are going to need to show progress next year, and also start to bear fruit in Rochester, or Murray's seat could get really warm. He really needs to shore up the blue line. Really needs to sign Peterson and have him and Johansson from Sweden backstop the Amerks, with Lehner and Ullmark with the Sabres. Pu and Estephan need to keep progressing, as do Nylander and Guhle in Rochester. Hopefully Fasching works hard this Summer and shows something in camp.

We will see. With a new coach and a few changes on the blue line, it isnt difficult to imagine this team solidly up there with the top few in the Division. That along with some of the above named prospects starting to bear fruit in Rochester, Kane signs on a somewhat reasonable deal and things start to look rosey.

Definitely a huge offseason for Murray and the franchise

Well, if they cant extend/re-sign Kane, or if he gets into hot water this Summer, that is a huge waste. Hopefully he wants to stay. Kulikov too. He walks and that Pysyk and a 3rd is basically for zilch.

The master plan IMO was to draft top end players as well as a cupboard full of developing prospects, to create a strong, deep organization. Murray spent a lot of assets to 'speed the rebuild' and got various guys in who he personally coveted/scouted for Ottawa (Carrier, Fasching, Lehner, Kane, Kulikov, probably Bogosian, OReilly). Also signing Okposo.

The step back this season was a big failure. They are going to need to show progress next year, and also start to bear fruit in Rochester, or Murray's seat could get really warm. He really needs to shore up the blue line. Really needs to sign Peterson and have him and Johansson from Sweden backstop the Amerks, with Lehner and Ullmark with the Sabres. Pu and Estephan need to keep progressing, as do Nylander and Guhle in Rochester. Hopefully Fasching works hard this Summer and shows something in camp.

We will see. With a new coach and a few changes on the blue line, it isnt difficult to imagine this team solidly up there with the top few in the Division. That along with some of the above named prospects starting to bear fruit in Rochester, Kane signs on a somewhat reasonable deal and things start to look rosey.

Definitely a huge offseason for Murray and the franchise

Not exactly. Sabres were really high on Asplund and moving up 5 slots meant that they got him.

Pysyk was not expected to be protected in the Vegas draft & would almost definitely be higher on Vegas' board than anyone else the Sabres would make available (Kulikov being an UFA @ end of this season doesn't factor into Vegas draft), so the Sabres pretty much traded 1 year of Pysyk's services for 1 year of Kulikov's & Asplund.

The 3rd round pick was pretty much a throw in.

That's 10 games if you are a Sabre.

To make it worse, this is Marchand's FIFTH suspension in his short career, and that's not even mentioning how many fines he's received for other dirty plays (like sucker punching Landeskog for ex), and he gets 2 games for a totally intentional spear to the nuts (but to be fair, some guys wouldn't even get suspended at all for that play).

While Ristolainen gets basically 4 games (3 games plus his game misconduct penalty) for a clean hit on a broken play on his very first offense ever. Had Girgensons not intercepted that puck,it was a perfectly clean, legal hit. Ristolainen has absolutely no history of dirty play either. He hardly even takes many penalty minutes.

This new player safety department is very, very inconsistent. It almost makes me miss Brendan Shana-ban running things (plus, he wouldn't be with the Leafs either, which would be a huge plus. lol).

To make it worse, this is Marchand's FIFTH suspension in his short career, and that's not even mentioning how many fines he's received for other dirty plays (like sucker punching Landeskog for ex), and he gets 2 games for a totally intentional spear to the nuts (but to be fair, some guys wouldn't even get suspended at all for that play).

While Ristolainen gets basically 4 games (3 games plus his game misconduct penalty) for a clean hit on a broken play on his very first offense ever. Had Girgensons not intercepted that puck,it was a perfectly clean, legal hit. Ristolainen has absolutely no history of dirty play either. He hardly even takes many penalty minutes.

This new player safety department is very, very inconsistent. It almost makes me miss Brendan Shana-ban running things (plus, he wouldn't be with the Leafs either, which would be a huge plus. lol).

I agree that Marchand is a serial d-bag and should have gotten a lot more, but that Risto hit was far from clean!