Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Watching this game the most positive thing I took away from it is that our defense played soundly. They played a very simple and sound game. Kulikov played well, especially for someone who has been out of the lineup for quite a while. I thought Bogo also played a simple and efficient game.

While Toronto is a fast skating team the Sabres are a much stronger team. Carrier did a lot of hitting.

Lernher was the first star for me. I have been a critic of Murray's deal for him but watching him tonight it seems to be a more reasonable deal.

Last year and in the beginning of this season Kane played a perimeter game that was not attached to his linemates. Now he is doing a lot of work near the net and it has made him a much better player.

Yeah, you guys are almost in the playoffs!

Are you afraid to acknowledge that tonight we were the better team? A little graciousness would serve you well.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching this game the most positive thing I took away from it is that our defense played soundly. They played a very simple and sound game. Kulikov played well, especially for someone who has been out of the lineup for quite a while. I thought Bogo also played a simple and efficient game.

While Toronto is a fast skating team the Sabres are a much stronger team. Carrier did a lot of hitting.

Lernher was the first star for me. I have been a critic of Murray's deal for him but watching him tonight it seems to be a more reasonable deal.

Last year and in the beginning of this season Kane played a perimeter game that was not attached to his linemates. Now he is doing a lot of work near the net and it has made him a much better player.

Are you afraid to acknowledge that tonight we were the better team? A little graciousness would serve you well.

Was responding to a smart ass comment. You guys beat us tonight. Good job. I will decide what serves me well thanks!

And your guys can't beat my guys.

You guys have our number for sure but the season is not based on head to head between 2 teams. (Until playoffs of course)

Edited by thebug

At least I am here to take my medicine. Had it been a Leafs win I would be talking to myself!

Hopefully we can bump them off one more time and help knock them out of playoffs... How sweet it would be if they missed by a point!

God... Are you watching, the world can't stand the Cubs of Hockey... 2016 WS is enough for a century!

We didn't even lose any ground tonight as the islanders lost as well.

Hopefully we can bump them off one more time and help knock them out of playoffs... How sweet it would be if they missed by a point!

God... Are you watching, the world can't stand the Cubs of Hockey... 2016 WS is enough for a century!

tell me about it.

At least I am here to take my medicine. Had it been a Leafs win I would be talking to myself!

No. Not really. Just like with Cubs, I am torn. BFLo teams are in same boat. I tend to follow the money and big markets and side against them when making my judgements.

We didn't even lose any ground tonight as the islanders lost as well.

BUT Bruins are kept in fold. 3 vs. 2.

It would have been better for you guys to have Isles win. The Bs are in position to also take the 3rd Division spot. Isles only can grab WC.

Again... You want 2 teams in fold not 3... But there is 4 now w/Lightning.

Also... Leafs have game in hand. Which could be second BFLo game. :-P

No. Not really. Just like with Cubs, I am torn. BFLo teams are in same boat. I tend to follow the money and big markets and side against them when making my judgements.

BUT Bruins are kept in fold. 3 vs. 2.

It would have been better for you guys to have Isles win. The Bs are in position to also take the 3rd Division spot. Isles only can grab WC.

Again... You want 2 teams in fold not 3... But there is 4 now w/Lightning.

Also... Leafs have game in hand. Which could be second BFLo game. :-P

We have a game in hand and swept the Bs so that also gives us head to head. The good thing is that teams in the hunt have to play each other still. (Bruins vs Tampa) Bruins had lost 4 in a row going into today's game and they have a really tough schedule left (so do most trying to get in.) islanders have a much easier schedule left.

Leafs have to win games or the rest doesn't matter. They have been very good about stopping losing streaks.

I'm looking forward to a giant sophomore slump for the leafs rooks next year....they all blew their load together and they all can certainly take a dump together

I love how all you guys are more concerned about the Leafs than your own team! 😀

I would be ok with the Leafs missing the playoffs because we would probably end up picking ahead of the Sabres after the lottery! Lol 😂 we would take the big D man you wanted!!! (Which we need)

fNF1ZG44_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

PANTHERS (33-30-11) at SABRES (31-32-12)

MON MAR 27, 2017 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 372)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 75 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 39 games
Cody Franson (undisclosed; March 20) – 3 games
Taylor Fedun (foot; March 20) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/23: Assigned F Justin Bailey, D Brady Austin and D Casey Nelson to Rochester (AHL)
3/25: Recalled D Brady Austin from Rochester (AHL); Activated F William Carrier from IR; Assigned F Hudson Fasching to Rochester

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, March 28: Buffalo at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Sunday, April 2: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 3 p.m.
Monday, April 3: Toronto at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 5: Montreal at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 8: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

PANTHERS at SABRES
This is the third of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
Last meeting: Florida defeated Buffalo 4-3 (SO) in Florida on Dec. 20
Next meeting: Saturday, April 8 in Florida
The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 3-6-1 at home.
This is the 91st game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 47-35-8 series record.
The Sabres are 26-16-4 at home against the Panthers all-time.

Morning Skate: March 27, 2017 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

@BuffaloSabres

Kulikov & Ennis shine with breakout game against the Leafs: http://bufsabres.co/1nrMul

C732CfJV4AAb_M2.jpg

Tomorrow will mark Brian Gionta's 1,000th career @NHL game. He reflects back 25b6.pnghttp://bufsabres.co/1nrMul

C74Klq8VsAAnLB8.jpg

Sunday's Practice

63 Tyler Ennis - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo
82 Marcus Foligno - 15 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
9 Evander Kane - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 12 Brian Gionta
48 William Carrier - 28 Zemgus Girgensons - 26 Matt Moulson

29 Jake McCabe - 77 Dmitry Kulikov
4 Josh Gorges - 41 Justin Falk
67 Brady Austin - 47 Zach Bogosian
44 Nicolas Deslauriers - 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

40 Robin Lehner
31 Anders Nilsson

Kulikov played well in the Maple Leaf game and showed what was expected of him when he was traded for. The organization recently signed a Russian defenseman from the KHL and Guhle will probably be with the Sabres next season. That would be a good start to rebuilding the defensive corps. However, recently on WGR Paul Hamilton stated that he didn't believe that Kulikov, a free agent, wanted to remain in Buffalo. Maybe some of his negativity was due to him be hurt for most of the season and not connecting with his new teammates because he was not playing?

When watching the Leaf game it is evident that there is little difference between a lower playoff qualifying team like them and the Sabres. Getting the blue line addressed this offseason should put this team in a much better situation.

I would be ok with the Leafs missing the playoffs because we would probably end up picking ahead of the Sabres after the lottery! Lol 😂 we would take the big D man you wanted!!! (Which we need)

The League would some how make it work for big market TO.

And anyway, it would have to be a straight out win of the lottery, right? Second worse team gets the second slot and rest fall in line due to order of finish... If I am right?

am I right?

No. The rules have changed. Eichel was the last guaranteed "worst finisher can be no worse than 2nd in the draft" pick.

1. All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery

2. Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the Lottery

3. The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

4. The 2nd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

5. The 3rd overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls

6. Remaining lottery teams, sorted by points, fill out picks 4-15

7. Ties are broken by teams' total number of regulation and non-shootout overtime wins (ROW), and then head-to-head if still tied

8. Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

9. Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

10. Conference finals losers sorted by points are assigned picks 28 and 29

11. Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 30

12. Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32

13. Note: The new Las Vegas franchise will be slotted at #3 for the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery

No. The rules have changed. Eichel was the last guaranteed "worst finisher can be no worse than 2nd in the draft" pick.

7. Ties are broken by teams' total number of regulation and non-shootout overtime wins (ROW), and then head-to-head if still tied

8. Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

9. Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

13. Note: The new Las Vegas franchise will be slotted at #3 for the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery

Thanx...

Then the Leafs should tank. ;-) Seeing how they most likely WON'T win the Stanley Cup this year and will be picking higher than 16 & won't get that big D-man...

I kid, I kid...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The League would some how make it work for big market TO.

And anyway, it would have to be a straight out win of the lottery, right? Second worse team gets the second slot and rest fall in line due to order of finish... If I am right?

Of course they would, the Leafs have had so many advantages over other teams over the years.. ***rolls eyes***

This!

Kulikov played well in the Maple Leaf game and showed what was expected of him when he was traded for. The organization recently signed a Russian defenseman from the KHL and Guhle will probably be with the Sabres next season. That would be a good start to rebuilding the defensive corps. However, recently on WGR Paul Hamilton stated that he didn't believe that Kulikov, a free agent, wanted to remain in Buffalo. Maybe some of his negativity was due to him be hurt for most of the season and not connecting with his new teammates because he was not playing?

When watching the Leaf game it is evident that there is little difference between a lower playoff qualifying team like them and the Sabres. Getting the blue line addressed this offseason should put this team in a much better situation.

So you got all that from one game where the Leafs were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and you guys were sitting and waiting for them since your Tuesday night game. I enjoy the Jekyll and Hyde fan base. A couple of wins and the rebuild is on schedule and a couple of losses and they suck. lol.

Edited by thebug

So you got all that from one game where the Leafs were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and you guys were sitting and waiting for them since your Tuesday night game. I enjoy the Jekyll and Hyde fan base. A couple of wins and the rebuild is on schedule and a couple of losses and they suck. lol.

The Leafs are a good and talented young team. I'm acknowledging the obvious. But they are not a demonstrably better team. As everyone is well aware our defensive unit is lacking and is a major liability. If the the GM can get that reasonably resolved this offseason then the teams will be more closely matched.

I'm not making my judgment on this one game. With a better defense this year they should have been in the same point range as the Leafs. But "what if" judgments are meaningless. It's my unschooled judgment that with an upgraded defense the Leafs and Sabress are comparable or near comparable teams.