Your thoughts on Hughes as a 3-4 olb vs 4-3 de

Dopey

I'm curious what the thoughts are on moving Hughes to a 3-4 olb from 4-3 de. I'm really concerned and the main reason is wasn't he drafted as a 3-4 olb and flame out in Indy? We got him for a steal because he wasn't working out as an olb. We bring him in as a 4-3 de and bamm! He blossoms into a disrupting sack machine. 10 sacks 2 yrs straight. Now he's back to a position where he struggled enough to warrant a trade for a song. I routinely bash Rex,that's not what I'm trying to do here, but why would Rex move him back to a position where he failed when he showed so much before Rex? How does this even make sense? I hope this move works out, but I have serious doubts and if he resorts back to his Indy performance along with Lawson out for a while we are screwed. IMO Rex is not putting Hughes in a place where he can succeed. Thoughts?

Edited by Dopey

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious what the thoughts are on moving Hughes to a 3-4 olb from 4-3 de. I'm really concerned and the main reason is wasn't he drafted as a 3-4 olb and flame out in Indy? We got him for a steal because he wasn't working out as an olb. We bring him in as a 4-3 de and bamm! He blossoms into a disrupting sack machine. 10 sacks 2 yrs straight. Now he's back to a position where he struggled enough to warrant a trade for a song. I routinely bash Rex,that's not what I'm trying to do here, but why would Rex move him back to a position where he failed when he showed so much before Rex? How does this even make sense? I hope this move works out, but I have serious doubts and if he resorts back to his Indy performance along with Lawson out for a while we are screwed. IMO Rex is not putting Hughes in a place where he can succeed. Thoughts?

I'm not sure he really flamed out in Indy. They didn't really use him until his last season there. But, I think you're right about sacks. He will be rushing the passer less = fewer sacks.

It's hard not to pine for the defense as coached by Schwarz. All four of the D-line had double digit sacks. Who wouldn't miss that? But, I think Hughs has the ability to play OLB. His last season in Indy, where he played in 16 games, he had about the same number of tackles. If what the optimists are saying is true, and Rex's D is "a zillion miles" from where they were last season, I think Hughs will be great. But, I do wish he would get the opportunity to rush Tom Brady's ass*, rather than chasing Gronk downfield.

All that matters is each guy does his own job. Stop thinking about individual stats and learn this defense needs every guy to do his job.

Bill Belichick always tells his team "Do your job," this is what needs to happen here. If everyone does their job the only stat that will matter is PPG.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Whatever they ask Hughes to do he does it 110 miles an hour, he was great as a DE two years ago but the whole front was great with JS. I'm not sure that is a good enough sample size to say he is better strictly as a DE opposed to being an OLB. He will still have plenty of chances to go forward and his ability to run with anyone makes him a valuable chess piece. As most discussions go around here, his productivity will be dependent upon the entire unit putting forth a better effort and some tightening of the screws from Rex and company.

All that matters is each guy does his own job. Stop thinking about individual stats and learn this defense needs every guy to do his job.

Bill Belichick always tells his team "Do your job," this is what needs to happen here. If everyone does their job the only stat that will matter is PPG.

Right and now the question remains - have we created a round hole for a well fitting square peg.

I think he can do it, but as augie said, he's much more valuable going forward than the level of confusion brought by dropping him adds. Just a gut reaction there though, and not saying he can't be successful but don't think him being an olb maximizes the sum of our talents, generally.

Right and now the question remains - have we created a round hole for a well fitting square peg.

I think he can do it, but as augie said, he's much more valuable going forward than the level of confusion brought by dropping him adds. Just a gut reaction there though, and not saying he can't be successful but don't think him being an olb maximizes the sum of our talents, generally.

No they haven't... the hole is round and so is the peg. I will trust a good defensive coach on what to do with his players then anyone else. Edited by Beef Jerky

No they haven't... the hole is round and so is the peg. I will trust a good defensive coach on what to do with his players then anyone else.

I trusted that "good defensive coach" last year and...dammit, I said I wasn't trying to bash Rex here and what do I do? Caught myself.

Kinda what I'm thinking. Like Jim Kelly said last year about Mario: "he's getting paid a boat load of $ to hit the QB".

I trusted that "good defensive coach" last year and...dammit, I said I wasn't trying to bash Rex here and what do I do? Caught myself.

Kinda what I'm thinking. Like Jim Kelly said last year about Mario: "he's getting paid a boat load of $ to hit the QB".

Hope dies last!!

Hoping on Rex will ultimately be death!!

No they haven't... the hole is round and so is the peg. I will trust a good defensive coach on wh

at to do with his players then anyone else.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Websters Dictionary

Enjoy the season and smoke show!

Rex is a buffoon and if you continue to believe in him you are insane!!

?

What are you asking?

Hughes lead our defense in run stops, which is amazing considering he wasn't much of a run defender in the past. He also lead our defense by a lot in total sacks/hits/pressures. He was still one of the best in the NFL rushing the passer even though the sacks weren't there. He also was effective in coverage.

Hughes probably deserved another 4-5 sacks he just missed. He really turned into an all around stud player for us last year.

Actually Hughes played very well last year. See you are only thinking about stats and not looking at what he was doing.

I'm not "only thinking about stats." That's just flippantly dismissive. I believe Hughs can be an effective OLB. But. I certainly don't think he was played to his strengths last season, and he was far less productive than the previous season. The fact that the stats just happen to bear that out is incidental.

He will be an 3-4 OLB less than 40% of the snaps. Every team plays four DL in nicel and dime formations.

However I really like Dareus as a 3-4 DE with Hughes at OLB. Dareus can take out two lineman or get to the QB with a quick inside move leaving Hughes, a safety, or a DB to blitz into the space vacated by Dareus. If the OT leaves Dareus one on one with the OG waiting for a blitz that may not even come, Dareus will blow the play up.

Hughes played better against the run that I thought he would as a DE last year. I was wrong. Kudos to him for stepping up to the challenge.

All this still leaves the question, who plays NT? There is not a qualified player on this team to play 3-4 NT.

With all the Nickel situations we and the League are using know we will be in a 4 man front a lot. That said hopefully Hughes does better at OLB know that he has a few yrs in the league and Rex uses him to the best of his ability.

Hope dies last!!

Hoping on Rex will ultimately be death!!

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Websters Dictionary

Enjoy the season and smoke show!

Rex is a buffoon and if you continue to believe in him you are insane!!

But it helps make the offseason fun, drink some koolaid and pretend it will be awesome, we have all season to complain if things go south again. And there is the possibility we could be good. :beer: