Preston Brown with an interesting quote..

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are allowed to count what could have been instead of wharf actually was, then we went 16-0, swept through the playoffs with ease and will be hosting the season opening Thursday night game.

Give me a break with all the bad results mean nothing stuff dude. Results are results. Rex sucked and botched the defense badly based on results. Based on what some people view as what could have been, Rex was great. Also, Beerboy shot an 18 at his golf outing yesterday.

Common man. Your crusade has reached epic levels. Merely pointing out that a player was in excellent position to make what would have been a game-saving tackle is nothing more than that.

Merely pointing out that a player was in excellent position to make what would have been a game-saving tackle is nothing more than that.

I agree 100% but that simply isn't what was done. People are actually subtracting that play from statistical totals and pointing to that game as a success after the subtraction. That is ridiculous.

I have not been paying as much attention to discussions here since the season ended, but what i get from some of the comments is that now we believe that the failures of the defense last year were all the fault of Mario Williams and had nothing to do with Rex.

Got it.

It's always nice to have a scapegoat. Who's it going to be this season? I predict Doug Whaley.

Edited by Dr. K

I have not been paying as much attention to discussions here since the season ended, but what i get from some of the comments here is that now we believe that the failures of the defense last year is all the fault of Mario Williams and has nothing to do with Rex.

Got it.

It's always nice to have a scapegoat. Who's it going to be this season? I predict Doug Whaley.

ESPN speculated Doug may get stabbed in the back. They are usually wrong so Whaley might feel a little better. Likely scapegoats include:

- Preston Brown who has already been set up like a bowling pin

- Kyle Williams with so many nice words from Rex about "what he used to be"

- Injuries....already in progress

- Lack of depth that can be partially solved in the first 3 rounds of the draft plus 4 FA signings.

- Ed Reed getting his "sea legs" as a coach

Rob already said that Rex has the best defensive system in football history so it can't be that.

I have not been paying as much attention to discussions here since the season ended, but what i get from some of the comments is that now we believe that the failures of the defense last year were all the fault of Mario Williams and had nothing to do with Rex.

Got it.

The defense is Rex's responsibility and he failed last year, it doesn't mean Mario wasn't a malcontent all year when he felt he couldn't do what he wants/likes to do.

Cop out. The key to any defense is putting people in position to make plays. Bradham just didn't make the play; that's not on the defensive scheme. The Bills' D was not bad vs. the Giants.

Funny who rushed Eli from the left end (#20) and who was dropped in coverage (#94) on that play. No bearing on the outcome except a sure tackling safety may have ended the play sooner... Giants knew exactly what to call to get a rb in space 1 on 1 vs a LB coming across hard to catch the play... Bills had 8 in the box and almost all up on the line.

#defensivegenius

Got it.

This is probably why you shouldn't post if you aren't paying attention.

Got it.

What I thought was comical was reading an article today that talked about a player that used to play on Ryan's D talking about how he had to have the right players in there to translate the D for the others and talking about that's how Ryan's D was so great in NY ....... oh yeah, in 2009.

No mention that it went downhill from there sorely with scoring Ds ranked 20th, 20th, 19th, and 24th, all well below average for the math-challenged, and how we plummeted from 4th to 15th while in Portrait of Dorian Gray fashion the Jets leaped from Ryan's last 24th to 9th with practically the same talent and a rookie coach. The difference? No complex Ryan defense.

Now factor in Rob Ryan whose performances are even worse and all of a sudden, apparently, they're ready to tell Belicheat to move over.

The only thing improving on this team is the mound of bull **** that fans of this team need to step over in order to get to the truth.

Got it.

Oh, by the way, Whaley will never be the scapegoat, he has 9 lives, like a cat. Even he thought he would be fired, as he should have been, given Manuel, his pick as he himself states despite the denial of his very own words by many here, and yet, after the Watkins thing, after our overspending catching up with us, he's still here and has the support of many despite being the team's worst drafting GM during our playoff drought.

Not to mention he's the one in the saddle extending that playoff challenge to historic as well as ongoing proportions after yet another playoff-less season this year.

On any other team his supporters in Buffalo are making a mockery of him, but here in Buffalo, he's a golden boy and has done a great job.

I mean who can argue, just look at his 1st-round picks since he's been in charge:

For four 1st-round picks and a 4th-rounder he's gotten Manuel, Watkins, and Lawson. A BUST, a player that's one significant injury away from being a bust and nowhere near worth two 1st's and a 4th and not even the best WR in his draft class as well as a player that can't stay on the field for 16 games otherwise, and a player that will be all but useless in his rookie season.

How can that record of excellence possibly be challenged.

Again, if he were the Browns' or Raiders' GM there wouldn't be a fan in Buffalo not making a mockery of that track record.

Edited by TaskersGhost

What I thought was comical was reading an article today that talked about a player that used to play on Ryan's D talking about how he had to have the right players in there to translate the D for the others and talking about that's how Ryan's D was so great in NY ....... oh yeah, in 2009.

No mention that it went downhill from there sorely with scoring Ds ranked 20th, 20th, 19th, and 24th, all well below average for the math-challenged, and how we plummeted from 4th to 15th while in Portrait of Dorian Gray fashion the Jets leaped from Ryan's last 24th to 9th with practically the same talent and a rookie coach. The difference? No complex Ryan defense.

Now factor in Rob Ryan whose performances are even worse and all of a sudden, apparently, they're ready to tell Belicheat to move over.

The only thing improving on this team is the mound of bull **** that fans of this team need to step over in order to get to the truth.

Oh, by the way, Whaley will never be the scapegoat, he has 9 lives, like a cat. Even he thought he would be fired, as he should have been, given Manuel, his pick as he himself states despite the denial of his very own words by many here, and yet, after the Watkins thing, after our overspending catching up with us, he's still here and has the support of many despite being the team's worst drafting GM during our playoff drought.

Not to mention he's the one in the saddle extending that playoff challenge to historic as well as ongoing proportions after yet another playoff-less season this year.

On any other team his supporters in Buffalo are making a mockery of him, but here in Buffalo, he's a golden boy and has done a great job.

I mean who can argue, just look at his 1st-round picks since he's been in charge:

For four 1st-round picks and a 4th-rounder he's gotten Manuel, Watkins, and Lawson. A BUST, a player that's one significant injury away from being a bust and nowhere near worth two 1st's and a 4th and not even the best WR in his draft class as well as a player that can't stay on the field for 16 games otherwise, and a player that will be all but useless in his rookie season.

How can that record of excellence possibly be challenged.

Again, if he were the Browns' or Raiders' GM there wouldn't be a fan in Buffalo not making a mockery of that track record.

Not paying Jairus Byrd, drafting Ronald Darby, trading broke ass kiko for McCoy, bringing in Taylor.

Whaley all day baby. Cry baby cry.

I agree 100% but that simply isn't what was done. People are actually subtracting that play from statistical totals and pointing to that game as a success after the subtraction. That is ridiculous.

I'm people. And the game, even with that play in the stats, was one of the best for the defense and one of the worst for the Giants' offense. The latter part of your statement here is straw man, plain and simple.

When allowing 24 point was one of your best games, you've got problems.

In terms of expected points ranking on this site, the Giants game was the Bills' 3rd best defensive showing of the season.

Edited by eball

When allowing 24 point was one of your best games, you've got problems.

I agree. And two of those problems were:

1. Wiffing on a TFL, resulting in a 51 yard touchdown
  2. Throwing a TD from your own 6 yard line, which led to a TD two plays later.

How many offenses in 2015 you think scored 24 points by only gaining 303 yards? I doubt many. But I'd be genuinely interested to see.

I agree. And two of those problems were:

• Wiffing on a TFL, resulting in a 51 yard touchdown
  • Throwing a TD from your own 6 yard line, which led to a TD two plays later.

How many offenses in 2015 you think scored 24 points by only gaining 303 yards? I doubt many. But I'd be genuinely interested to see.

Yards accumulated or allowed are the metrics upon which mythical geniuses build their legend despite chronic losing. It's a pathetic reach for moral victory absent the ability to realize a legitimate one.

Defenses have 1 very simple job, keep opponent from scoring points. That's their only job.

The fact that it took fewer yards than normal to amass 24 points only further indicts the defensive failure, or at a minimum lack of composure.

Also even if yards mattered, the total yards surrendered sum neglects a very real additional 100+ yards the defense surrendered that would not appear in the passing or rushing stats.

Here, I'll just tell you. Search query returns 25 results:

http://goo.gl/5z8R4O

Remove results with games that had ST or defensive touchdowns such that offenses scored less than 24 points and you have 14 occurrences in 2015 (counting both Bills v NYG and Bills v Jax) of offenses scoring 24+ points on 305 yards or less. So it happened in 5.5% of total NFL games in 2015, but 12.5% of Bills games (both resulting in losses). Also, those two losses account for half of the four of 14 games in which teams did this and still lost. Go figure. EDIT: I HAD THIS PART ASS BACKWARDS

The other games it happened, teams that did it:

Arizona over Chicago on 9/20

Carolina over Tennessee on 11/15

Cincy over SFO on 12/20

Cincy over Baltimore on 1/6

Denver over KC 9/17

KC over Oakland on 12/6

KC over Denver on 11/5

MIN over SD on 9/27

NE in a loss to DEN

NYJ over Jax on 11/8

PHI over NE on 12/6

TEN in loss to IND on 10/30

Yards accumulated or allowed are the metrics upon which mythical geniuses build their legend despite chronic losing. It's a pathetic reach for moral victory absent the ability to realize a legitimate one.

Defenses have 1 very simple job, keep opponent from scoring points. That's their only job.

The fact that it took fewer yards than normal to amass 24 points only further indicts the defensive failure, or at a minimum lack of composure.

Also even if yards mattered, the total yards surrendered sum neglects a very real additional 100+ yards the defense surrendered that would not appear in the passing or rushing stats.

Based on these numbers, yards accumulated are a predictor of points scored. And the yards accumulated by the Giants are a predictor of less than 24 points and the combination of 24 points and 303 yards SHOULD have resulted in a win, which again supports my argument that the defense did not lose that game. SORRY, TEAMS THAT SCORED ONLY 24 POINTS AND ACCUMULATED 300 YARDS OR LESS PREDOMINATELY WON, which I find strange, but hey.

Edited by The Big Cat

The Bills lost that game mostly due to the fact they were penalized an absurd amount of times. 20 to 21 flags I believe.

Yep. The 135 penalty yards didn't help.

But The Bills first 11 drives went:

1. 3 plays, punt
  2. 3 plays, punt
  3. 5 plays, FG
  4. 1 play, INT
  5. 3 plays, punt
  6. 3 plays, punt
  7. 6 plays, punt
  8. 3 plays, punt
  9. 3 plays, punt
  10. 13 plays, missed FG