USA Today Ranks NFL Head Coaches

With Rex it is always about Rex. Instead of taking the view of how best to utilize the players he has on hand his view is how do I get them to make my system work. This draft was dedicated to propping up Rex and making it work within the confines of his system. What worked before his arrival didn't work under him so it now is undergoing a deconstruction to accommodate him. Another example of our organization moving forward and then taking a step back to start all over again.

Roman is the antithesis to Rex. Look at how he handled Tyrod Taylor? He was aware of TT's limitations as an inexperienced qb and managed his limitations very smartly. The outcome was that he got as much production out of him as was possible. This season I'm confident that the playbook will be expanded and his responsibilities will be increased.

Roman also had a major deficiency on the OL, most evident on the right side. He managed that liability and still had one of the better running games in the league. My point is obvious: Good coaches manage their deficiencies and accentuate their strengths. Rex did the opposite.

I still shake my head at the Rex hiring and repeatingly say: WTF!

To take it a step further they improve their weaknesses at the same time. By the end of last year the Bills had one of the best OL's in football (top 10 anyways). That is also a credit to Kromer (even though he's crazy).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To take it a step further they improve their weaknesses at the same time. By the end of last year the Bills had one of the best OL's in football (top 10 anyways). That is also a credit to Kromer (even though he's crazy).

The RT position troubles me a lot. The misfire on the Kujo draft selection was very damaging. I'm more optimistic about Miller who did struggle in his rookie year.

What I'm going to be closely watching on offense is whether TT can make plays in the middle of the field. Last year the majority of his passes were to the boundaries of the field. If he can use the whole field more often then our offense should be better balanced and be even more effective.

The RT position troubles me a lot. The misfire on the Kujo draft selection was very damaging. I'm more optimistic about Miller who did struggle in his rookie year.

What I'm going to be closely watching on offense is whether TT can make plays in the middle of the field. Last year the majority of his passes were to the boundaries of the field. If he can use the whole field more often then our offense should be better balanced and be even more effective.

Kujo isn't any good. They swung and missed on a prospect that a lot of teams were high on, after all he was invited to the draft. Miller will be okay.

The beauty of the OL is that the individual players are less important than the unit. That probably isn't the case anywhere else (besides maybe the secondary). On the rest of the field if you do your job good things will happen. The flipside is if you don't do your job bad things will happen. On the OL that isn't the case. Cordy Glenn can stand his guy up and dominate him for 10 seconds and the QB can get sacked.

So even if the RT is a weakness you can minimize that by running left or having a back or TE help out. You can cover that. You can't assist a WR that can't get open, a DE that can't beat his man, or a QB that can't make all of the throws. The OL relies on the entire unit to be productive. That's part of the reason that I would never draft a RT or G in the 1st round (unless that was my ONLY need). It just isn't an area where you can control your own destiny.

Personally, I do not think that Rex is very good. I think that the Bills have done a nice job on the personnel side. I would have the FO around the top ten. I would have the coaching bottom ten (and that is with getting a boost from Roman). Rex did less with more last year than any coach that I can remember. In addition, he is a horrible game manager.

Well said. Since his first 2 years as a head coach (great), he has been an average to bad head coach. He probably shouldn't be ranked this high.

He gets one more chance but I would be ok with firing him if we get off to a slow start. Hopefully, he will flashback to his first 2 season.

Your right about 2013.

He did a good job with a pretty **** team which is why Idzik was pretty much forced to bring him back. Idzik wanted his own guy in there but Woody loved Rex. There are many who believed Idzik purposely gave Rex even less in 2014 so Woody would have no choice to get rid of Rex. Unfortunately for Idzik they both got the boot.

I think Rex got lazy and was somewhat unmotivated for most of last year unless the opponent was the Jets/Patriots. I hope he has a lot of ambition this season to prove the media and fans like myself wrong.

I got the exact same feeling.........his game planning from week to week was all over the place.......he had good game plans for 3 of the 4 Jets/Pats games and then there were games where it was like they hadn't even looked at film on these teams.

I had considered that maybe he hired so many coaches because he basically didn't want to work that hard anymore............and now that guys like Dennis Thurman have shown they aren't really up to the task he's brought in his bro...............not sure if he's realizing that he needs to work harder on his side of the ball or if he just thinks maybe he can just upgrade the quality of lacky at DC and go back to the original plan of mailing it in.

If he thinks Rob is anything more than a bench coach he's probably wrong. A year like last year would have been a GOOD one by Rob's recent standards. Pew.

Yep.

And a lot of that applies to Marvin Lewis too. The Bengals FO has built a very good team that is being very averagely coached.

Post Season Records:

Rex Ryan: 4-2

Marvin Lewis: 0-7

I don't think that Rex is particularly good but I'd rather have him than Lewis. Then again, that's like being asked if you'd rather be shot or stabbed.

Fisher is close to breaking the all time record for losses I heard. :thumbdown:

Ok I see 8-8. For some reason I thought he had been an interim and only coached a few games. Thanks. Still think he's pretty high! :thumbsup:

I've never understood teams' fascination with him or how he's hung around so long. He's the Philadelphia Phillies of football. I can't wait until he's let go and finally has to step down from the competition committee.

im not saying Lewis isn't a good coach. But he's accountable for the fact those guys acted like idiots. His teams lack discipline and poise.

Hard to say, It's hard to control millionaire divas who think the rules don't apply to them.

They are guilty of low character guys but I don't know how much say Lewis has in that.

head coachis vastly different than positional or coordinator. And what's he ever won?

and Rex has won ....

I think Rex works harder this year than any other he's ever coached. He brought his brother in for what may be the final ooorrah with his Dad watching. This year is for his old man. I don't think anyone will it take more personally than Rex if they don't improve, especially on Defense. He feels slighted and embarrassed from last year. Although odd, his comment about being fully pregnant is spot on. Your on the train or your not. He won't accept behavior like Mario's, not this season.

I think Rex works harder this year than any other he's ever coached. He brought his brother in for what may be the final ooorrah with his Dad watching. This year is for his old man. I don't think anyone will it take more personally than Rex if they don't improve, especially on Defense. He feels slighted and embarrassed from last year. Although odd, his comment about being fully pregnant is spot on. Your on the train or your not. He won't accept behavior like Mario's, not this season.

Was't he the HC last year? Why did he accept such blatant disregard from the malcontent player last year? The bumper sticker notion that this huckster HC is peddling that you are either on or not is silly. He was the HC last year and he was running the show. He is acting as if their were forces making him do what he didn't want to do. What a bogus position to take for someone who was the sole authority to do whatever he wanted.

The reality last year was that he grossly miscalculated in managing the players he had on defense. Strengths that were accentuated in the two prior years with different DCs were minimized under him. Weaknesses that were minimized under the two prior DCs were more exposed under him.

The more Rex talks the more he exposes how shallow he is. He should just STFU and coach. He is a freaking embarrassment!

Was't he the HC last year? Why did he accept such blatant disregard from the malcontent player last year? The bumper sticker notion that this huckster HC is peddling that you are either on or not is silly. He was the HC last year and he was running the show. He is acting as if their were forces making him do what he didn't want to do. What a bogus position to take for someone who was the sole authority to do whatever he wanted.

The reality last year was that he grossly miscalculated in managing the players he had on defense. Strengths that were accentuated in the two prior years with different DCs were minimized under him. Weaknesses that were minimized under the two prior DCs were more exposed under him.

The more Rex talks the more he exposes how shallow he is. He should just STFU and coach. He is a freaking embarrassment!

He trusted a highly paid veteran superstar to do what was asked of him. Yes, he probably should have pulled Mario and taken a stand against the BS, but he was trying to do what he thought would get the best from the guys.

He screwed up and has admitted to it. He's not acting like there were "outside forces". It was just an error in judgement on the attitudes of the players we had.

REX: Well, but that’s my fault. That was the difference. That was a mistake that I made. It was the exact opposite of that. Nobody told me to do this. I screwed up, and that’s totally on me. So if people lost a little faith in it, or whatever, I can understand. I should be doubted, because I made a mistake in judgment. But just go back and look at the history. You are going to get the real deal this year, and we’ll see how it goes. I know how it has gone my whole career.

http://mmqb.si.com/m...s-interview-nfl

Where do you think he'll be ranked after this season, assuming he is still a head coach next year?

I'd like to see a ranking of GMs. Whaley in top half or bottom 16? (I'd rank him higher as a GM than Ryan as HC.)

There was already an article and thread on that from before the draft, I believe. I think they had Whaley around #20, iirc?

He trusted a highly paid veteran superstar to do what was asked of him. Yes, he probably should have pulled Mario and taken a stand against the BS, but he was trying to do what he thought would get the best from the guys.

He screwed up and has admitted to it. He's not acting like there were "outside forces". It was just an error in judgement on the attitudes of the players we had.

REX: Well, but that’s my fault. That was the difference. That was a mistake that I made. It was the exact opposite of that. Nobody told me to do this. I screwed up, and that’s totally on me. So if people lost a little faith in it, or whatever, I can understand. I should be doubted, because I made a mistake in judgment. But just go back and look at the history. You are going to get the real deal this year, and we’ll see how it goes. I know how it has gone my whole career.

http://mmqb.si.com/m...s-interview-nfl

There was already an article and thread on that from before the draft, I believe. I think they had Whaley around #20, iirc?

Rex was not an inexperienced HC who was learning on the job. He's been a HC for 7 consecutive years. You don't think that during his prior experiences as a HC he hasn't dealt with players who were not on board? You don't think that he hasn't had to deal with players who didn't care and act disinterested. You don't think that he has had to contend with bad dudes during his stint in NY and in Baltimore? All coaches in all sports deal with these type of characters. All bosses in all professions deal with these type of characters. That goes with the territory with being in a position of authority.

This commentary from him about now getting the real deal is part of the problem. He needs to do a lot less talking and get more involved with coaching. What I find troubling about him is that there is always a commotion surrounding him because for him it is always about him.

I want one thing from Rex this season: STFU and coach more smartly!

Edited by JohnC

Hard to say, It's hard to control millionaire divas who think the rules don't apply to them.

They are guilty of low character guys but I don't know how much say Lewis has in that.

and Rex has won ....

you don't win 4th place. this isn't little league baseball or jv tennis.

this is real sports.

rex won that 6 and 7 years ago. 3 centuries ago in nfl years. i think in human years this would equate to the hunter gatherer discovery by early man during the paleolithic era.

you don't win 4th place. this isn't little league baseball or jv tennis.

this is real sports.

rex won that 6 and 7 years ago. 3 centuries ago in nfl years. i think in human years this would equate to the hunter gatherer discovery by early man during the paleolithic era.

I honestly believe Rex talks so much because he deflects off his bad coaching record since his first 2 years.

I really, really want to like Rex but he is making it very hard. I'd love to drink beers with him but I'm starting to question if he should be the face of your franchise.

I honestly believe Rex talks so much because he deflects off his bad coaching record since his first 2 years.

I really, really want to like Rex but he is making it very hard. I'd love to drink beers with him but I'm starting to question if he should be the face of your franchise.

you're in that much denial? he's the face of your franchise, too.