5-24: Doug Whaley on WGR

So when I slap my forehead my brain does that?

If you've cut the top of your skull off, peeled off the protective membrane covering your brain, and drained all of shock absorbing CSF from your head, then yes, lightly slapping your forehead would make your brain do that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TBNSports

Football is "a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play," Doug Whaley said today: https://t.co/zQ50EC1Ssr

The game of football has been under fire for a while now. But usually the criticism doesn't come from those drafting players to, you know, play the game of football.

That changed on Tuesday as Doug Whaley offered the most biting criticism of the sport we've heard from a current general manager or head coach.

When asked if Sammy Watkins was injury prone, Whaley dove into a more macro answer.

"This is the game of football," Whaley told WGR 550 Radio Tuesday morning. "Injuries are part of it. It's a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play."

Head coach Rex Ryan was asked after Buffalo's organized team activity (OTA) practice Tuesday about Whaley's comments and offered his much-different take.

"I can say this, I love the game," Ryan said. "I think it's the greatest sport. I know it's the greatest sport. It's the greatest game. We all know how I feel about it. When your son is out there playing in college, OK, when your son is out there practicing..."

Biting criticism? What a stretch by Dunne! You'd think this was the main point Whaley was trying to make in the interview based upon media reaction.

@TBNSports

Football is "a violent game that I personally don't think humans are supposed to play," Doug Whaley said today: https://t.co/zQ50EC1Ssr

Biting criticism? What a stretch by Dunne! You'd think this was the main point Whaley was trying to make in the interview based upon media reaction.

It's ridiculous that they refuse to make the logical jump from Watkin's injury to this is a rough sport that will result in injuries because normally humans don't run into each other at full speed. Nope, they will stick with the "Whaley is opposed to football because it is a violent game, and doesn't think players should be playing it" which is so far from what he said, it is mind boggling.

The Bleacher Report article on Doug's statement is linked on CNN's headline page.

In the B/R article there's a poll and so far 76% of respondents agree with DW.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642137-bills-gm-doug-whaley-comments-on-violence-in-football-injuries-and-more?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I mean..... I don't think humans were "meant" to do a lot of the things we do, but we do them anyway. Doug played football and has made his career in it off of the playing field so I'm fairly certain he isn't trashing the game. The bobble-heads will run with anything.

Football is just one of MANY challenges men aren't ALREADY built for.

Whaley just sometimes has to put his foot in his mouth. He gets wide eyed and bushy tailed in front of a mic. :lol:

At least someone in the local Buffalo media understands context.

@hsimon62

what did you think about Doug Whaley's comments about humans not playing football? cant believe it went viral. its a non story

his comment was re why players are hurt.bodies not designed to sustain violent collisions.he didnt mean game too dangerous to be played

At least someone in the local Buffalo media understands context.

@hsimon62

what did you think about Doug Whaley's comments about humans not playing football? cant believe it went viral. its a non story

his comment was re why players are hurt.bodies not designed to sustain violent collisions.he didnt mean game too dangerous to be played

We created the media monster and now have to live with it.

It's clear that Whaley chose the wrong words for what he was trying to say, especially since the context involved a foot injury

We created the media monster and now have to live with it.

It's clear that Whaley chose the wrong words for what he was trying to say, especially since the context involved a foot injury

The overreaction by the likes of ESPN and Pro Football Talk is indicative of what I really find distasteful about today's media coverage. PFT is actually suggesting that his innocuous throwaway comment while making a larger point could cost him his job.

What an utterly ridiculous notion!

It's ridiculous that they refuse to make the logical jump from Watkin's injury to this is a rough sport that will result in injuries because normally humans don't run into each other at full speed. Nope, they will stick with the "Whaley is opposed to football because it is a violent game, and doesn't think players should be playing it" which is so far from what he said, it is mind boggling.

It's better business for the media to have 2 things to freak out about (Watkins injury, and Whaley's non-comment) versus 0 things. They'll drudge up as much garbage as possible, especially in the offseason.

It's better business for the media to have 2 things to freak out about (Watkins injury, and Whaley's non-comment) versus 0 things. They'll drudge up as much garbage as possible, especially in the offseason.

You are obviously not a "realist". :rolleyes:

If Whaley had said "built to play" instead of "meant to play," doubt there would have been nearly the reaction.

Meant or built is just semantics. With either word it would have been a throwaway line in the context of his larger point. Seriously overblown.

Holy hell, people are running with *that* line?

Seriously, we're 'supposed' to do things like forage and light hunting, and that's about it... football? Not so much. The statement makes perfect sense, but hey, offseason. Lets have an outrage party.

It's a pretty big deal for an NFL GM to say something like that.

It's like an executive of Papa John's making a public statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to eat pizza. Oh by the way, keep eating pizza you fat suckers."

It's not only bad for the brand, but it makes Whaley look like a deplorable person for willingly continuing to make his living signing players on to participate in a sport that he believes "human beings aren't supposed to play" because it's so hazardous to their long-term health.

It's one more example in a list of many of Whaley making himself look extremely unintelligent and unqualified for the position he currently holds.

It's a pretty big deal for an NFL GM to say something like that.

It's like an executive of Papa John's making a public statement "I personally don't think humans are supposed to eat pizza. Oh by the way, keep eating pizza you fat suckers."

It's not only bad for the brand, but it makes Whaley look like a deplorable person for willingly continuing to make his living signing players on to participate in a sport that he believes "human beings aren't supposed to play" because it's so hazardous to their long-term health.

It's one more example in a list of many of Whaley making himself look extremely unintelligent and unqualified for the position he currently holds.

This is a complete misinterpretation of the intent which is the human body isn't designed to sustain the extreme forces that are inherent to playing football at the NFL level and therefore players will get injured. Nothing more and nothing less.