Are the Bills really in "Win Now" mode?

McCoy signed for significantly more money than Stewart and Martin was a far better back than McCoy last year.

36.5 m is significantly less than 40m over 5 years? Considering the production of either back up to that time (Stewart had one 1000 yard season and McCoy had had four of the previous five), I'd say McCoy deserved that extra less than a million per year.

Martin was only a slightly better back in 2015 than McCoy was in 2014 (contract years) and had only one other 1000 yard season (opposed to Shady's three).

McCoy is not even in the same discussion with AP. Please. I'm not at all sure Shady is better than Jonathan Stewart, who is a very different kind of back than McCoy.

He was closer going into his age 27 season than you think. Compare the stats. But that doesn't matter...Clyde Drexler wasn't nearly Michael Jordan, but that doesn't mean Drexler wasn't elite.

36.5 m is significantly less than 40m over 5 years? Considering the production of either back up to that time (Stewart had one 1000 yard season and McCoy had had four of the previous five), I'd say McCoy deserved that extra less than a million per year.

Martin was only a slightly better back in 2015 than McCoy was in 2014 (contract years) and had only one other 1000 yard season (opposed to Shady's three).

He was closer going into his age 27 season than you think. Compare the stats. But that doesn't matter...Clyde Drexler wasn't nearly Michael Jordan, but that doesn't mean Drexler wasn't elite.

https://www.google.com/#q=%22lesean+mccoy+is+an+elite%22

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:beer:

That's fair. McCoys contract is not wildly out of line with what two other somewhat comparable backs are getting. That still doesn't mean he is worth the money to the Bills. (Carolina probably has some buyer's remorse re the Stewart contract.). So far, McCoy has not been worth it. Maybe he will have a better year in 2016, even though he's a year older. Edited by mannc

That's fair. McCoys contract is not wildly out of line with what two other somewhat comparable backs are getting. That still doesn't mean he is worth the money to the Bills. (Carolina probably has some buyer's remorse re the Stewart contract.). So far, McCoy has not been worth it. Maybe he will have a better year in 2016, even though he's a year older.

We obviously disagree on some things, but I do agree that McCoy's first season was a disappointment.

But per the bolded, I'm not sure how you're arriving at that conclusion. The Bills, perhaps more than any other team in the league, need a top level back to pair with Roman's scheme. Compared to Spiller (let's not forget the Bills were going to resign CJ prior to Kelly going nuts), or any of the available backs out there at that time, McCoy was absolutely worth the contract to the Bills at that time. His contract hasn't prohibited the Bills from signing or resigning players, it's less than 5% of the cap.

As for your last sentence, we are hoping for that. :beer:

To the OP's question, no. But there's about 20 Wallers who'll dive off the ledge in Decenber and another few hundred 'experts' who'll march on City Hall to throw the team back 5 years to Square 1 again. It's who we are and how we roll.

?

that means this is their secret plan to tank all the while acting like we can win. (I don't think they actually believe this, just me being a smart ass)

Seriously, you're lumping him in with Geno? Ok. that's twisting your words a bit :).

Good QBs tend to get better as they play more NFL games, so I stick by my argument that nothing says he hasn't shown POTENTIAL for being a franchise QB. Aaron Rodgers' 2008 stats aren't significantly better than Tyrod Taylor's. I'm not saying he's Aaron Rodgers, and Rodgers had higher expectations going in, but it's just one example of how franchise QBs aren't that out of the box (and AR is the most recent example I could think for a QB who was on the bench for a few years before starting).

true, time will tell, I just don't think he will.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

that means this is there secret plan to tank all the while acting like we can win. (I don't think they actually believe this, just me being a smart ass)

So your'e saying Pegs is LETTING it happen in order to justify canning Whaley for Polian, and Rex for Tom Coughlin!... Oh my, what have you started?!! :lol:

But aren't teams like Green Bay and New England in win-now mode? They don't mortgage the future for picks but they certainly aren't going to tear down the team and do a rebuild. They aren desperate. Not when they have a "franchise" QB. But they know and expect to win every year.

Every team has ups and downs, maybe not like the Bills, but when Brady and Rodgers retire they are going to be in the same world as everyone else looking for a QB.

Brady's play has bailed out so many patriots teams that would be average without him.

So your'e saying Pegs is LETTING it happen in order to justify canning Whaley for Polian, and Rex for Tom Coughlin!... Oh my, what have you started?!! :lol:

:flirt:

(I doubt Coughlin, would really like PJ Fleck but hard for college coaches to transition to the NFL, although he had two yrs in the NFL http://www.campusrush.com/pj-fleck-western-michigan-broncos-coaching-style-1366301954.html)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

:flirt:

(I doubt Coughlin, would really like PJ Flick but hard for college coaches to transition to the NFL, although he had two yrs in the NFL http://www.campusrush.com/pj-fleck-western-michigan-broncos-coaching-style-1366301954.html)

PJ Fleck needs to put down the red bull. He's nuts, haha.

I watch a lot of the MAC. I think they should kick a couple teams out of the Big 10 and replace with Toledo or WMU.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I watch a lot of the MAC. I think they should kick a couple teams out of the Big 10 and replace with Toledo or WMU.

Indiana and Illinois?

I saw him coach against Michigan St. last yr and thought this guy has got something here, didn't know he was so animated just could tell he was a good coach.

Indiana and Illinois?

I saw him coach against Michigan St. last yr and thought this guy has got something here, didn't know he was so animated just could tell he was a good coach.

he is seriously wacked out! :lol: Right now I nominate northwestern and IU get the boot. Illinois is on thin ice. They should probably go before IU for all intents and purposes but IU is *shudder* recruiting better than Illinois right now.

Anyway, not to derail the thread. But I wonder who will be the next college coach to make the jump to the NFL.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I detect no true sense of urgency there. Rex has a fat contract, and Ralph's trash is still running the ream. Team would have to really tank to wake Pegs up.

but you're being negative outside of the negative safe space! #oppressor!

honestly, it's sad, too. marrone was a great example of the sense of urgency and he was smart to leave seeing what was clear. whaley is cocky, good and all it seems, but cocky.

Toledo! yes!

actually, i don't know how toledo would fair in the big 10. back in my day there they were beating teams like iowa, penn state, etc quite often. but the big ten is a lot better than it was than, at least top to bottom, at least from my slightly off memory.

niu used to dominate the mac with toledo, ou and wmu being contenders. toledo may be the macs best school over the last 20 years.

also, dont' forget what those sports offer outside of football. indiana basketball is legendary. illinois and northwestern are also strong in some of the minor sports.

Edited by Boyst62

he is seriously wacked out! :lol: Right now I nominate northwestern and IU get the boot. Illinois is on thin ice. They should probably go before IU for all intents and purposes but IU is *shudder* recruiting better than Illinois right now.

Anyway, not to derail the thread. But I wonder who will be the next college coach to make the jump to the NFL.

You should start a thread on it, I would get grilled but you have a better rep around here.

Do you think he is a good coach or just hot air?

You should start a thread on it, I would get grilled but you have a better rep around here.

Do you think he is a good coach or just hot air?

i don't know because i kind of laughed at his pregame and halftime speeches when they played OSU. He's an attraction so the played it on tv. I think he's a ra ra type but people who follow the MAC more closely than me think he has potential to go to a bigger program.

I still think Jim Harbaugh makes his way back to the NFL sooner than later.

Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't know because i kind of laughed at his pregame and halftime speeches when they played OSU. He's an attraction so the played it on tv. I think he's a ra ra type but people who follow the MAC more closely than me think he has potential to go to a bigger program.

I still think Jim Harbaugh makes his way back to the NFL sooner than later.

Interesting

We should have paid him whatever he wanted to come here. Harbough is crazy but he can flat out coach.

I saw Rex in "win now" mode exactly twice. -Both games against the Jets last year... He was so intense, so focused, that the mere THOUGHT of losing was incomprehensible... He would have parted with a lung before giving up either of those games... The difference is that guys like Carroll, and Bellichick operate this way ALL THE TIME... They don't just talk about it, they COACH IT... Their rosters armed with standard bearers who are willing to enforce it..

Who are our standard-bearers? -Who's bringing the fire? I know Rex will rally the troops for at least TWO games this season... It's the other 14 I'm concerned about.

Big element of truth there. Except he seems to plan well for the pats*** also. He just comes up short with the execution.

garrison Sanborn brings his Fire and A game every week imo.

You'd nominate Northwestern and not Purdue?