Like Adam Sandlers Ex Girlfriend Says

In the movie Wedding Singer, "I'm not in love with the Robbie now. Im in love with Robbie from 6 years ago. Robbie the lead singer of Final Warning. With the leather pants and the silk shirt unbuttoned. Licking the microphone like David Lee Roth."

I think this is how I feel about the Bills. I grew up and fell in love with the the way Andre Reed got open on third down. Bruce Smith coming up with a huge sack on third down. The way Thurman Thomas hit the hole. Jim Kelly somehow becoming mobile enough when it counted to avoid pressure and make a big throw on a crucial play. Chances are we will never see a group of players like that for the Buffalo Bills again.

And we didn't need to know everything about their personal lives. If Thurman threw a women's only party and stomped on people at night clubs over a bottle of champagne we didn't know about it. If Andre Reed thought people were below him he didn't have twitter to post about it. If the incoming rookie class had a combined iq of 87 there was no rookie tour video to display that.

As the NFL continues to become more and more like Walmart everyday, combined with social media, it is becoming clear things will never be the same again. Not even these brilliant slogans like "Lead the Charge" the marketing department comes up with every year are enough anymore to deflect from the current state of not only the Bills, but the NFL as a whole.

I'll apologize now for not having my head in the sand and making a positive post. I do write dark comedy for a living.

The nfl as we know it (or should I say loved it) is over. Any shred of the good ole nfl days will be torn apart in the coming years of CTE issues and Concussion problems. It's only a matter of time before they start playing flag football.

Enjoy it while it lasts people cause the end is near. At least in the ways that you loved the game.

The teams that still go to that playoff stuff are still enjoying the Robbie of 6 years ago, I bet. I wouldn't know, I'm just guessing.

(But yes, times have changed, and I don't like it more for the changes.)

The nfl as we know it (or should I say loved it) is over. Any shred of the good ole nfl days will be torn apart in the coming years of CTE issues and Concussion problems. It's only a matter of time before they start playing flag football.

Enjoy it while it lasts people cause the end is near. At least in the ways that you loved the game.

The only 'sport' you can effectively compare pro football to is Pro Wrestling. It's brutal road grind, savage injuries (see what I did there?) and alarmingly high death rates resulting from their participation. It's been going strong since before the advent of television and still incredibly popular. As long as people (and owners) are willing to pay big bucks to be entertained, players will play.

The teams that still go to that playoff stuff are still enjoying the Robbie of 6 years ago, I bet. I wouldn't know, I'm just guessing.

(But yes, times have changed, and I don't like it more for the changes.)

Yes, that Robbie is still in Final Warning.

Patriots fans have their Robbie right now. It can be done. It starts with management that wants to win more than make money. I think we have that now...I think. Then you need a HC who wins by quietly studying the game and making adjustments to his system as needed. We dont have that yet. Then an elite qb and some supporting elite players. Good management gets the elite players and good HC does the most with whats left. It can be done.

Me and my buddies were just talking about this last night. The over-saturation of all things NFL is incredibly off-putting. Perfect example, I was watching ESPN after the schedule came out and Herm Edwards was going through the Patriots' schedule, emphatically predicting a winner for each game. That right there is dumber than a group of girls getting together to watch The Bachelor. Fantasy football has also kind of ruined things for me. While I happen to enjoy it myself, it also makes every idiot in your office an expert on Monday morning when they don't know s**t about the game. If I have to hear one more debate on the NFL network between grown men over the top 10 linebacking units or the top 10 receiving corps or whatever, I swear to God. While this stuff maybe lures in a casual fan or two, it just drives away a lot of true fans. The NFL is the classic example of not knowing when to just leave well enough alone. Do color rush Thursday night games enhance the viewing experience for anyone in the world? To me, the NFL was the best when Topps football cards were .50 a pack for 15 cards, Tecmo Super Bowl was the hype, the Bucs wore orange and we didn't know anything about the brain injury stuff. It'll never be the same. That being said, I'll be pretty psyched by the time the season rolls around I'm sure.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

In the movie Wedding Singer, "I'm not in love with the Robbie now. Im in love with Robbie from 6 years ago. Robbie the lead singer of Final Warning. With the leather pants and the silk shirt unbuttoned. Licking the microphone like David Lee Roth."

I think this is how I feel about the Bills. I grew up and fell in love with the the way Andre Reed got open on third down. Bruce Smith coming up with a huge sack on third down. The way Thurman Thomas hit the hole. Jim Kelly somehow becoming mobile enough when it counted to avoid pressure and make a big throw on a crucial play. Chances are we will never see a group of players like that for the Buffalo Bills again.

And we didn't need to know everything about their personal lives. If Thurman threw a women's only party and stomped on people at night clubs over a bottle of champagne we didn't know about it. If Andre Reed thought people were below him he didn't have twitter to post about it. If the incoming rookie class had a combined iq of 87 there was no rookie tour video to display that.

As the NFL continues to become more and more like Walmart everyday, combined with social media, it is becoming clear things will never be the same again. Not even these brilliant slogans like "Lead the Charge" the marketing department comes up with every year are enough anymore to deflect from the current state of not only the Bills, but the NFL as a whole.

I'll apologize now for not having my head in the sand and making a positive post. I do write dark comedy for a living.

One of the great teachings of Buddhism is that nothing is permanent. Everything is subject to change. While we won't recapture the magic of the 90s, this current mediocrity will change too. This isn't the new reality. There is no new reality. Just a constant unfolding.

As the Sufis like to say, "This too shall pass." More change is coming. Let's hope it's good change.

One of the great teachings of Buddhism is that nothing is permanent. Everything is subject to change. While we won't recapture the magic of the 90s, this current mediocrity will change too. This isn't the new reality. There is no new reality. Just a constant unfolding.

As the Sufis like to say, "This too shall pass." More change is coming. Let's hope it's good change.

Very true. All this CTE stuff potentially ruining football may pass too. Why is everyone so convinced that helmets and other technology can never be upgraded to the point of preventing CTE? We are just at a crossroads right now. Football will either be ruined,changed dramatically, or we will find a way to increase safety and let guys play again. I guess we will all find out.

The only 'sport' you can effectively compare pro football to is Pro Wrestling. It's brutal road grind, savage injuries (see what I did there?) and alarmingly high death rates resulting from their participation. It's been going strong since before the advent of television and still incredibly popular. As long as people (and owners) are willing to pay big bucks to be entertained, players will play.

eventually, society will not allow the barbaric game to continue.

Given the trend toward overall demasculinization of our society, I'd have to agree with that.

people need their "safe place" now and transgender bathrooms. There's no place for barbaric sports. Except for MMA because it's the hip thing to watch. Go figure.

Fantastic. When in a significant way? Cleveland Browns fans are curious too.

Those were the hey days. Now it is just an overhyped overproduced spectacle. There are so many better sporting events out there it boggles the mind how the charade grows and amplifies until one day the blinders come off and the exposed underbelly is laid bare.

How can the N.F.L have non-profit tax status?

Why are the commercials four times as long as the actual game?

When will OSHA step in and declare it an unsafe work environment?

What parent in good conscience lets their child play tackle football?

The beast will die a bloated ignominious death when the populous wakes up to these realities.

We have seen the high watermark. It truly is just a matter of time.

I'd love to watch a game with no commercial breaks, $2 beers and a raucous crowd. It would be great to see a player(s) or an offense or defense actually get tired from being on the field too long. Maybe this is called rugby.

Years ago the result of many football games was actually based on a team outlasting the other. With all of the breaks, the length of the breaks, and the substitution rules, it is virtually impossible for a player to get tired on the field in today's NFL.

I'd love to watch a game with no commercial breaks, $2 beers and a raucous crowd. It would be great to see a player(s) or an offense or defense actually get tired from being on the field too long. Maybe this is called rugby.

Years ago the result of many football games was actually based on a team outlasting the other. With all of the breaks, the length of the breaks, and the substitution rules, it is virtually impossible for a player to get tired on the field in today's NFL.

Agreed! Play one game the way it was meant to be played. You know like before television was invented. Yes kids, once upon a time there was no TV and no internet. I know it is hard to fathom but look it up. They didn't stop the clock every five seconds to look at replays and sell you a new car. They played football. No one sprinted onto the field after kickoffs to stand around for three minutes, which looks so stupid when you are at the game. Kind of reminds me of the old bull/young bull story, but I digress. It is like a parade now, everyone smile and wave for the cameras, we will be back soon!