Vacation - who is going where

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're heading back to Rarotonga (Cook Islands) in August.

Can't wait. Love it there. Most chilled out place I've ever been.

Awesome! We honeymooned in French Polynesia (Moorea & Bora Bora). Next time we go there we're staying longer and going to do some more islands. Thought about checking out Rarotonga.

So far have a late summer trip planned out west. It's something different for us, we're usually tropical/beach people. Couple nights in Vegas, 3 nights in Grand Canyon general area, 3 nights in Sedona, then a final night in Vegas before the morning flight home.

If you're actually going, don't bother with Patong. Unless you want really seedy bars and cheap hookers, then by all means stay in Patong. I regret not picking one of the resort areas with better beaches. Pretty sure a bar girl spiked my drink there too.

Could be there right now with my next door neighbors. his wife is Thai and would have a great tour guide. Plus her dad owns a nice farm inland. So missed on that plus round trip air from Tampa was $720. Tampa-DC- Japan-Thailand. They Bought tix in January. busness prevented the trip for us. will keep your advice in mind. seedy bar days are over.

Good topic! Wife and I have been tossing around several ideas but have not cemented plans yet which is very unusual for us. I think we are actually headed to the Bay Area for a week or so. Will definitely spend 3 or 4 days in SF. Deciding between other nearby areas (Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa, etc) for the balance. Also will be actively trying to avoid Chef's "advice". Also will be doing our annual visit to see our daughter in Maine, which is always wonderful.

Definitely skip Napa, hit Sonoma County instead. Better wineries, coast, not as snobby. You can't go wrong w/ Tahoe either.

Got thinking during lunch what am I going to do for a vacation this year. Life change has me able to do what I want, when I want.

Saw a show on PBS recently about Mt Rushmore and I thought that would be a cool 1 week road trip from Cbus OH. Thinking late Aug / early Sep.

I'm also tossing around a road trip to Manitoulin ONT to North Bay (where my family had a cottage for 25+ years) ONT, to Buffalo.

Thoughts?

What are your vacation plans?

Took the kids to the black hills/badlands a couple years ago. Badlands is one of my favorite places, definitely try and do a hike there if you can. Almost didn't bother with Rushmore, with Custer State park, Jewel and Wind caves, the museums (son is huge into dino fossils) and devil's tower nearby. Never even made it into Sturgis, just tons to do. Great area, especially for riding motorcycles.

For me this year, probably pictured rocks in the UP of MI. And our family vacation out at Chautauqua.

Definitely skip Napa, hit Sonoma County instead. Better wineries, coast, not as snobby. You can't go wrong w/ Tahoe either.

I agree with Sonoma over Napa. We've lived in the Bay Area over 7 years now and go almost exclusively to Sonoma. As a matter of fact 30 times the first 3 years we lived here. It is bigger, easier to get to, much less crowded (mainly due to th size) and less snobbery. I will disagree with the better wine sentiment however. The best wine I've had while up here has come from the Napa Valley. Nothing against Sonoma wines, they are world class too but Napa has the best.

Yeah, I’ve been to Tahiti/Moorea before and loved it. (Nothing like a beautiful wahine speaking in French.)

However, there’s just something about Raro. It's just sooooo laid back and easy.

The Cook Islands are cheaper that French Polynesia, uses the same currency as here (NZ dollars), is only a 4-hour flight from Auckland and isn’t nearly as “touristy” as other islands. The snorkelling and diving is also world class.

Rarotonga and Fiji are the islands that Kiwis tend to travel to the most, because of these reasons. You should check it out sometime!

That said, if you’ve never been to the South Island of New Zealand (where I live), you need to do yourself a favour and come out here for a couple weeks. It’s easily the most beautiful place I’ve ever been.

Awesome! We honeymooned in French Polynesia (Moorea & Bora Bora). Next time we go there we're staying longer and going to do some more islands. Thought about checking out Rarotonga.

So far have a late summer trip planned out west. It's something different for us, we're usually tropical/beach people. Couple nights in Vegas, 3 nights in Grand Canyon general area, 3 nights in Sedona, then a final night in Vegas before the morning flight home.