2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

I don't want to force the Dak stuff on him but Dobbs excelled in the SEC as a dual-threat QB. He has some nice tools and seems like he could surprise people.

Josh Dobbs, who was down at the Senior Bowl, again he continues to impress me, said Riddick, who prior to his current role as ESPN analyst was the director of pro personnel for the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles.

He looked very comfortable, looked a little bit robotic in some of his drops, but his accuracy, again, was good, and he didnt flinch at all in this, which I think continues to bode well for his prospects once he continues to get the kind of NFL environment coaching hes going to get.

Dobbs, Athlons 2016 SEC Offensive Player of the Year, posted 3,781 total yards of offense last season and joined Mississippi States Dak Prescott and Floridas Tim Tebow as the only SEC quarterbacks in history to record 15 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs in multiple seasons.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-josh-dobbs-nfl-combine

He looks like a pro QB in the pocket. I know that isn't the best description but that's just how it feels to me. In addition, they say that he is really, really bright. He majored in aerospace engineering.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks like a pro QB in the pocket. I know that isn't the best description but that's just how it feels to me. In addition, they say that he is really, really bright. He majored in aerospace engineering.

"Ehhh, just looks like a run first QB like Tyrod, take a big white guy"

Yes, some teams asked him if he could handle an NFL playbook and he mentioned he was taking astronautics, propulsion, and an aerodynamics class on the same day as he was leading an SEC football team.

Another Dobbs story was his team was down in a game and he gets in the huddle and tells everyone that they have it, they're going to win the game and then delivers. I want guys like Dobbs on my team, even if he is not the star.

"Ehhh, just looks like a run first QB like Tyrod, take a big white guy"

Or a white guy that lost his job to Dobbs...

:thumbsup:

Yet teams that know how to scout QB's are bringing in Dobbs such as the Steelers and Chiefs. Dobbs might not be worth a high pick but I would love to have the kid in the 5th.

Why are you so enamored with these QBs when most people think these QBs are marginal ? (serious question)

I don't think kids care like they used to, they would rather be with family on draft day is the impression I get.

John C. made this post in another thread:

The attached link is a WGR interview with Greg Gabriel. He talks about the qb class and his belief that the class is better than many non NFL analysts indicate. He pointed out that the top part of the class is going to be drafted in a rather short order.

http://www.wgr550.co...-mike-schoppmp3

Note: The relevant part of the interview is from about the 7 minute to shortly after the 11 minute mark. It's pretty interesting.

Edited by Dr. Who

Why are you so enamored with these QBs when most people think these QBs are marginal ? (serious question)

I don't think kids care like they used to, they would rather be with family on draft day is the impression I get.

There is a lot of lazy group think going on. Marginal compared to what? 2004? 2016?

I have stated over and over you don't get a prize for drafting a QB from a "good" class nor get a penalty from a "bad" class. Unless you are sure this is the 2013 draft class. And most of the people I see saying that are still emotionally scarred by EJ and scared to get back in the game or hanging onto hope for Tyrod because points scored or Dennison will unleash him, etc.

If this is a bad class like 2014 then that's fine. I see a Derek Carr prospect in Patrick Mahomes. He is being downgraded for the same reasons Carr dropped and I want my team to benefit.

It's not a bad QB class like 2013 but there just aren't any top 10 picks because none are ready to start right away. There won't be more than one of two teams imo willing to spend a 1st round kick on a player who won't contribute for at least a year. SF might because the coach and GM are obviously in rebuilding mode and have 6 year contracts. Still, could see them waiting past and seeing who shakes out on the 2nd or trading back up into bottom of 1st if needed. Don't think any are top 10 value, in this class especially.

It's not a bad QB class like 2013 but there just aren't any top 10 picks because none are ready to start right away. There won't be more than one of two teams imo willing to spend a 1st round kick on a player who won't contribute for at least a year. SF might because the coach and GM are obviously in rebuilding mode and have 6 year contracts. Still, could see them waiting past and seeing who shakes out on the 2nd or trading back up into bottom of 1st if needed. Don't think any are top 10 value, in this class especially.

If teams are really going to pass on a franchise QB because he might not provide utility in the first year it really shows how backwards most of the thinking in the NFL still is.

If teams are really going to pass on a franchise QB because he might not provide utility in the first year it really shows how backwards most of the thinking in the NFL still is.

Teams are passing because they are not sure they are franchise QBs. This draft will probably produce 1 or 2. As of today not one of these guys is a lock to be a franchise guy. There isn't even a Carson Wentz. This draft has some intriguing prospects (unlike 2013) but they all have holes. It isn't often that the top 3 teams drafting are in desperate need of QB, and all are likely to pass in the 1st. It isn't as much about year 1 contribution as it is spending the next 3 years on a prospect that may or may not ever be even average.

if you look at the history and think it might predict the future, there is only one QB drafted since 2006 who appears to be a franchise QB after sitting his first year, Kirk Cousins. If the team is rebuilding and ready to just throw the guy out on the field immediately even though he's not ready and take their lumps (I.e. SF) then I think they do it. Otherwise, it's hard to pass on a great prospect in the top 10 for one of these guys looking it's worked out in the last decade +. Clearly, it doesn't mean you don't take one of them if you like one. But can't see a bunch going early.

Teams are passing because they are not sure they are franchise QBs. This draft will probably produce 1 or 2. As of today not one of these guys is a lock to be a franchise guy. There isn't even a Carson Wentz. This draft has some intriguing prospects (unlike 2013) but they all have holes. It isn't often that the top 3 teams drafting are in desperate need of QB, and all are likely to pass in the 1st. It isn't as much about year 1 contribution as it is spending the next 3 years on a prospect that may or may not ever be even average.

I would take Mahomes over Wentz even after Wentz had a decent rookie year and Trubisky over Jared Goff.

That standard means you never draft a QB. I am starting to see that's what you desire.

If the QB prospects were so great that Todd McShay and Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock all agreed they were wonderful future franchise QB's then we couldn't even trade up for them! Even if we offered our entire draft.

Edited by jeffismagic

Most rookie qbs are not ready to play right away. That is the norm. If it takes a season or two to prepare a qb prospect then by waiting another year to select a qb you will again be stretching out the time before you can get a better return on your investment. Without a doubt getting a credible prospect in the pipeline sooner rather than later is the better approach to take.

I made the following comment in another post so I apologize for the repetition. The Bills are built to be at best an 8-8 team. So even if there were better prospects in the draft that doesn't mean that the team will be in a position to get one. Dithering is not a solution---it is the problem.This backwater franchise that hasn't had a legitimate qb in over twenty years. Isn't it time to demonstrate some urgency on this issue?

Most rookie qbs are not ready to play right away. That is the norm. If it takes a season or two to prepare a qb prospect then by waiting another year to select a qb you will again be stretching out the time before you can get a better return on your investment. Without a doubt getting a credible prospect in the pipeline sooner rather than later is the better approach to take.

I made the following comment in another post so I apologize for the repetition. The Bills are built to be at best an 8-8 team. So even if there were better prospects in the draft that doesn't mean that the team will be in a position to get one. Dithering is not a solution---it is the problem.This backwater franchise that hasn't had a legitimate qb in over twenty years. Isn't it time to demonstrate some urgency on this issue?

John, don't you get it yet?

Bills can only select a QB if they are 6'4'', 240 lbs. The QB must be a great leader and very interesting while having no actual opinions on anything outside football. They must never throw a bad pass and throw with grace and perfect mechanics as measured by Greg Cossell and they must meet the data requirements of Irishman Fahey.

They should be mobile but a pocket QB. They must have a great football brand well established before coming to the NFL.

Only an obvious generational prospect that could change the football universe should be drafted by our Buffalo Bills. And they will be an obvious top overall pick but the year they come out the team with the pick will say, "Hey, let's not be greedy. It's Buffalo's turn. Here you go, take our player."

John, don't you get it yet?

Bills can only select a QB if they are 6'4'', 240 lbs. The QB must be a great leader and very interesting while having no actual opinions on anything outside football. They must never throw a bad pass and throw with grace and perfect mechanics as measured by Greg Cossell and they must meet the data requirements of Irishman Fahey.

They should be mobile but a pocket QB. They must have a great football brand well established before coming to the NFL.

Only an obvious generational prospect that could change the football universe should be drafted by our Buffalo Bills. And they will be an obvious top overall pick but the year they come out the team with the pick will say, "Hey, let's not be greedy. It's Buffalo's turn. Here you go, take our player."

Don't forget they need to be white from a cold weather school.

Yet teams that know how to scout QB's are bringing in Dobbs such as the Steelers and Chiefs. Dobbs might not be worth a high pick but I would love to have the kid in the 5th.

Teams draft horrible QBs literally every year. I expect this year to be no different.

I would take Mahomes over Wentz even after Wentz had a decent rookie year and Trubisky over Jared Goff.

That standard means you never draft a QB. I am starting to see that's what you desire.

If the QB prospects were so great that Todd McShay and Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock all agreed they were wonderful future franchise QB's then we couldn't even trade up for them! Even if we offered our entire draft.

I haven't seen anyone that has these guys graded ahead of Wentz. He was a decent prospect IMO and still don't love him.

I have tried to be pretty clear as to what I desire. The Bills are getting decent QB production. It is in line with Miami, Baltimore, Cincy, KC and Minnesota. It isn't perfect. I have no interest in drafting a prospect that is maybe a 35% chance to ever get to that level. I am only interested in a prospect that is 50/50 to exceed it while at worst being in that group. The Bills have the luxury of being selective (like those other teams). If you see a guy that has a floor like that group and a ceiling like the elite guys go get him. I don't see it in this group and I don't think that I am alone. That standard doesn't mean you never draft a QB. There are probably 3 guys now in 2018 that check that box.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.