2016 NFL Draft Grades

Evan Silva: Lawson "could be a high-impact player" (13:46)
Rotoworld Senior Football Editor Evan Silva called in to The John Murphy Show to discuss his recent ‘Draft Grades’ for each NFL team. Silva weighed in on the Bills selections and tells us why he feels the top two picks will strengthen Buffalo’s defense.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consensus Draft Grades

I took all the grades I could find- thanks to 26Blitz. Outliers have alot less weight. The more info I got the less a team could move.

A-......Jax, Was

B+.....Bal,Buf,Cin,Chi,Den,Min

B.......Mia,KC,SD,Ind,Sea,GB,NO,Hou,TB

B-.....Ten,Cle,Dal,Oak,Az,NYG,SF,Det,LA

C+....NE,Car,NYJ,Pit,Phi

C......Atl

I don't know how anyone gives Dallas better than an "F" at this point when it's only on paper. Sure, Elliot could be the next Adrian Peterson, and Smith the next Urlacher; but as it stands today they spent the 4th overall pick on a halfback and an early second rounder on a guy who may never play again. If I were a Cowboys fan I'd be furious. As it stands, their only saving grace is that they weren't able to trade back into the first round to make a third massive mistake on Paxton Lynch despite their best efforts. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I don't know how anyone gives Dallas better than an "F" at this point when it's only on paper. Sure, Elliot could be the next Adrian Peterson, and Smith the next Urlacher; but as it stands today they spent the 4th overall pick on a halfback and an early second rounder on a guy who may never play again. If I were a Cowboys fan I'd be furious. As it stands, their only saving grace is that they weren't able to trade back into the first round to make a third massive mistake on Paxton Lynch despite their best efforts.

Agreed.

@TBNSports

ChiCzSWWUAAow3m.jpg

Rex Ryan predictably boasted he would have a tough time believing “somebody had a better draft” than the Buffalo Bills.

Here’s a guess that he didn’t consult anyone affiliated with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who came away with arguably the two best defensive players in the draft in cornerback Jalen Ramsey and linebacker Myles Jack. Cincinnati and Minnesota also have reason to do a little bit of chest-puffing of their own.

But this much seems clear (or at least as clear as any of the countless first-glance assessments of the 2016 NFL Draft can be): it’s hard to imagine any of the Bills’ AFC East counterparts making the same claim as Ryan with a straight face.

It’s fair to say the Bills found at least two, and possibly three, quality rookie starters with their first three picks (Clemson outside linebacker Shaq Lawson, Alabama inside linebacker Reggie Ragland, and Ohio State defensive tackle Adolphus Washington). They also just might have come up with a long-term solution at quarterback in Ohio State’s Cardale Jones.

http://www.predictionmachine.com/nfl-draft-grades-class-rankings-2016-browns-bears-bengals

Here is one analytics site that likes what the Bills did. While it ranks their draft as 11th best overall they put the Bills in a statistical tie for 2nd in terms of predicted added wins from this draft. They also have the Bills moving up to 9th overall as a team. That all seems reasonable. I liked the Bills draft very much from a need-filling perspective and I loved the Shaq pick even aside from need.

@NFL_CFB

Ranking every team's #NFLDraft (via @LanceZierlein): 1 #Titans 2 #Ravens 3 #Jaguars FULL: http://on.nfl.com/1QRvoHN

ChjBp7dW4AAKk9E.jpg

18. Buffalo Bills

Draft picks: Shaq Lawson (No. 19 overall), Reggie Ragland (No. 41 overall), Adolphus Washington (No. 80 overall), Cardale Jones (No. 139 overall), Jonathan Williams (No. 156 overall), Kolby Listenbee (No. 192 overall), Kevon Seymour (No. 218 overall)

The Bills added toughness and need-based players with Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland, and bargains with Jonathan Williams and Kolby Listenbee. This grade could turn into an A+ if Cardale Jones somehow finds a way to become an NFL starter at QB.

AFC East draft grades: Miami's vice? The Tunsil risk

Laremy Tunsil experienced a surreal draft-day slide before Miami scooped him up. Were the Dolphins wise to gamble on the talented left tackle? Bucky Brooks provides a report card for the AFC East.

Buffalo Bills

» Round 1: (No. 19 overall) Shaq Lawson, DE.

» Round 2: (41) Reggie Ragland, ILB.

» Round 3: (80) Adolphus Washington, DT.

» Round 4: (139) Cardale Jones, QB.

» Round 5: (156) Jonathan Williams, RB.

» Round 6: (192) Kolby Listenbee, WR; (218) Kevon Seymour, CB.

The Bills entered the draft intent on rebuilding a defense that failed to live up to the hype in Rex Ryan's debut season. The team's first three picks were designed to improve a front seven that needed a little juice. Shaq Lawson and Adolphus Washington are energetic defenders with hand skills and agility. Lawson should set the edge against the run and provide a spark as a polished pass rusher. Washington is a sack-hungry interior defender with the quickness to press the pocket on finesse moves. With Reggie Ragland also adding some thump as a downhill player with outstanding instincts and awareness, the Bills' defense should return to prominence in 2016. On offense, the Bills scooped up a couple of wild cards with the selections of Cardale Jones and Jonathan Williams on Day 3. Jones is a talented gunslinger with a big arm and sneaky athleticism. If he diligently works on his craft and masters the mental side of the position, "12 Gauge" could emerge as a potential starter down the road. Williams missed all of 2015 with a foot injury, but scouts believe he has the tools to be an RB1 in the right environment. Kolby Listenbee is a sleeper pick to watch. The track star has speed to burn and adds a big-play element to a run-first offense that creates one-on-one chances on the perimeter. GRADE: B+

@NFL_CFB

Five best bargain picks for AFC East teams --> http://on.nfl.com/1rjBATR

#NFLDraft
ChjoFdJWkAAfWTw.jpg

LB Reggie Ragland, Buffalo Bills

Drafted: 2nd round (41st overall)

Why he's a bargain: The heart-and-soul linebacker of the Alabama defense wasn't expected to slip out of the first round, much less 10 picks deep into the second. Ragland is a Day 1 starter on run downs, and plays well enough in space to at least challenge for playing time on third down as well. The enlarged aorta that might have helped precipitate his slide isn't expected to be a problem for his football career.

RB Jonathan Williams, Buffalo Bills

Drafted: 5th round (156th overall)

Why he's a bargain: After spending all of 2015 on the sideline due to a foot injury, Williams was something of a draft afterthought. His absence helped backfield mate Alex Collins enhance his draft profile last year, but when both shared the backfield as a healthy tandem in 2013 and 2014, Williams was the more consistent and reliable player. He's an effective receiver and, barring an injury setback, should not only make the team but earn an early rotational role as well.

Saw comments of what a good draft by Rex.

Just for the the purposes of future credit or failure attribution, let's remember this was a:

Doug Whaley (Rex Ryan) draft,

NOT a

Rex Ryan (Doug Whaley) draft

@JohnMurphyShow

He gives the #Bills draft an "A-" Live with Senior Analyst Steve Palazzolo of Pro Football Focus at 810pm @PFF_Steve

Palazzolo: Lawson "will upgrade that position" (14:11)
Pro Football Focus Senior Analyst Steve Palazzolo joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his recent draft grades, where he gave honor roll marks for the Bills. Palazzolo runs down the Bills picks and shares his thoughts on how Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland will fit in Rex Ryan’s defense.

Saw comments of what a good draft by Rex.

Just for the the purposes of future credit or failure attribution, let's remember this was a:

Doug Whaley (Rex Ryan) draft,

NOT a

Rex Ryan (Doug Whaley) draft

AMEN. Rex coaches. Mostly defense. With mixed results. Don't blame Doug when Rex does what Rex does. (Although as HC he gets no pass on ST.)

2016 NFL Draft Wrap: Grading the AFC East

By: Jon Ledyard

Buffalo Bills

1st (19) EDGE Shaq Lawson, Clemson

2nd (41) LB Reggie Ragland, Alabama

3rd (80) DT Adolphus Washington, Ohio State

4th (139) QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

5th (156) RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas

6th (192) WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU

6th (218) CB Kevon Seymour, USC

UDFAs: CB Julian Whigham, TE Glenn Gronkowski, LB Eric Striker, C Rob Kugler, WR Gary Chambers, DE Bryson Albright, DL Justin Zimmer, WR Davonte Allen, OL Jamison Lalk, K Marshall Morgan, LS Reid Ferguson, DE Claudell Louis, OG Marquis Lucas, OL Keith Lumpkin

Best Pick: Shaq Lawson was a top eight prospect in this class, at a huge position of need for Buffalo, and the Bills landed him at No. 19. Outstanding.

Worst Pick: I put a fifth round grade on Adolphus Washington after watching team-after-team put him on the ground repeatedly in games. He’s probably a sub-package interior rusher in Buffalo, but I wouldn’t value him in the third.

Steal: Cardale Jones or Jonathan Williams could apply here, but I’ll give the nod to Williams because I think he could start in Buffalo eventually as he rounds back into form from a foot injury.

Analysis: The Bills came into this draft needing a receiver who could stretch the field, an inside linebacker and a pass rusher, and Buffalo managed to land all three and their potential quarterback of the future. The only need they didn’t really address was 3-4 defensive end, as I can’t see Washington ever being asked to two-gap given his lack of functional strength.

Lawson and Ragland were both first round talents on my board, while Williams and Jones carried second round grades. For my money the franchise got excellent value with both players, and Kevon Seymour is a fun, athletic prospect that projects well to the slot in the NFL. Big-time draft for the Bills, who quietly enter 2016 with a pretty loaded roster.

UDFA to Watch: Eric Striker is a man without a true position, facing size and athletic limitations, but he has the heart of a warrior, and Rex Ryan will respect that and his work ethic.

Grade: A-

http://www.predictionmachine.com/nfl-draft-grades-class-rankings-2016-browns-bears-bengals

Here is one analytics site that likes what the Bills did. While it ranks their draft as 11th best overall they put the Bills in a statistical tie for 2nd in terms of predicted added wins from this draft. They also have the Bills moving up to 9th overall as a team. That all seems reasonable. I liked the Bills draft very much from a need-filling perspective and I loved the Shaq pick even aside from need.

This team could make some noise if they can settle down on a RT and #2 WR. This team is going to add 2+ wins based on the play of Henderson, Woods and possibly TE Clay.

Analysis: Big-time draft for the Bills, who quietly enter 2016 with a pretty loaded roster.

I am not sure about the loaded roster...This team had gaping holes and depth issues. They have filled some of the holes on defense...They still have holes at RT, WR, Safety...And depth at WR is still a big concern. Loss of Hogan and Harvin will hurt this team even if Listenbee comes through

5-4: MATT RICHNER PREDICTIONMACHINE.COM ON WGR (20:37)

PFF's Steve Palazzolo hands out A-F grades for all 32 NFL franchises based on every pick made in the 2016 NFL draft: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

After months of speculation and a 253-pick whirlwind, the 2016 NFL draft is over. Future Super Bowl champions made franchise-altering decisions, and every team comes out of draft weekend with optimism. Whether filling gaping holes on the roster, adding to positions of strength or picking players that will pay off down the road, every pick is of utmost importance to the future of each franchise.

We have been evaluating picks through all seven rounds, and now present our grades for the draft classes of all 32 franchises. We took into account pick value relative to our college player grades and prospect evaluations, in addition to each team’s ability to address roster needs and find ideal fits for their respective schemes.

Here are our 2016 NFL draft grades for all 32 NFL teams:

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills, A-

1 (19) Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
2 (41) (from Chicago) Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
3 (80) Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
4 (139) Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State
5 (156) Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas
6 (192) Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
6 (218) Kevon Seymour, CB, USC

Day 1: Buffalo gets a stout run defender in Lawson (No. 2 run grade among edge defenders in the class) who also showed the ability to get after the quarterback (No. 9 pass-rush grade at +25.9). He had a breakout 2015 season after a strong performance in limited snaps in 2014, and he’ll step in to replace Mario Williams opposite Jerry Hughes on the edge.

Day 2: Once thought to be a first-round pick, Ragland fell to the second where his clean run-stopping ability makes him a solid pick. While there are questions about his athleticism in coverage, he can make plays in front of him in zone, and his pass-rush ability can help him find a role on third down (he is movable blitzer, and the Bills can isolate him on running backs). Washington is another strong pick from a production standpoint, as he played all over Ohio State’s defensive front the last two years and he posted third third-best pass rush grade among the draft’s interior defensive linemen in 2015.

Day 3: Jones has a cannon for an arm and he’s worth a developmental shot, even though his accuracy between six and 30 yards is among the worst in the class. Jonathan Williams missed all of 2015, but his 101.9 elusive rating ranked fifth in the FBS in 2014. Listenbee is a nice late-round speed addition as he may be the fastest player in the draft and it showed on the field when he was healthy in 2014 (526 deep yards, 10th in the nation).

@JohnMurphyShow

More good grades for the #Bills draft-this one from Fox Sports Peter Schrager. He joins us tonight 810pm @PSchrags

Peter Schrager: "I love what the Bills did" (12:27)
Peter Schrager, Senior National Writer for FoxSports joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his recent post-draft grades, where he gave the Bills high marks. Schrager also weighed in some other notable selections from last week's NFL Draft.

Best and worst 2016 NFL Draft picks: AFC East

While the Dolphins could have a steal in Laremy Tunsil, the Jets might have reached for Christian Hackenberg. Lance Zierlein reveals his picks for the best and worst selections by AFC East teams.

Buffalo Bills

Best pick: Reggie Ragland, LB (Round 2, No. 41 overall)

Skinny: Card-carrying tough guy who goes from Nick Saban to Rex Ryan. Come on, now. How is that not perfect?

Worst pick: Kevon Seymour, CB (Round 6, No. 218 overall)

Skinny: I respect the Bills' hustle in drafting on traits with this pick. Seymour has decent size and ran really well at the NFL Scouting Combine. My issue with the pick is that Seymour lost playing time due to injury and performance in his final season. He does not have much of a history of making plays on the ball.

@NFLTotalAccess

Check out our experts draft grades for the AFC East. Have something to add? Let us know right here!

CiIdhAGUYAAgQrl.jpg

@NFL_CFB

2016 #NFLDraft class power rankings 1. @Titans 2. @ChicagoBears 3. @Jaguars 4-32: http://on.nfl.com/1WsfX1

CiRDUloUYAA0r2t.jpg

BUF_logo.png
16. Buffalo Bills

Score: 161 points (3 players)

The lowdown: The Bills absolutely loaded up on defense, and Ragland and Lawson should be Day 1 starters. Listenbee brings elite speed to a Bills team that already has former Olympian Marquise Goodwin on the roster. Who's up for a match race?

The players (points):
No. 18: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama (83)
No. 24: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson (77)
No. 100: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (1)

@NFL_CFB

2016 #NFLDraft class power rankings 1. @Titans 2. @ChicagoBears 3. @Jaguars 4-32: http://on.nfl.com/1WsfX1

CiRDUloUYAA0r2t.jpg

BUF_logo.png
16. Buffalo Bills

Score: 161 points (3 players)

The lowdown: The Bills absolutely loaded up on defense, and Ragland and Lawson should be Day 1 starters. Listenbee brings elite speed to a Bills team that already has former Olympian Marquise Goodwin on the roster. Who's up for a match race?

The players (points):

No. 18: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama (83)

No. 24: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson (77)

No. 100: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (1)

That was a weird way to judge the draft. Only the top 100 players that we grade count. Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th are worth no points??? This feels like one of the more terrible ways to assess a draft.

That was a weird way to judge the draft. Only the top 100 players that we grade count. Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th are worth no points??? This feels like one of the more terrible ways to assess a draft.

Definitely outside the box and IMO it misses the mark because many players outside of their top 100 could very well make contributions to their respective teams.

Definitely outside the box and IMO it misses the mark because many players outside of their top 100 could very well make contributions to their respective teams.

It's a self-serving way to view the draft. If you view someone as a rd 1 pick and he goes in the 3rd, then his value was that of a 3rd round pick and your analysis was wrong, you don't give the team who drafted that guy a high score because they agreed with you.

@NFL_CFB

Report: Leonard Fournette has 2 insurance policies, each worth $10 million --> http://on.nfl.com/1WswUsl

CiRimHdUgAADlTB.jpg

It's a self-serving way to view the draft. If you view someone as a rd 1 pick and he goes in the 3rd, then his value was that of a 3rd round pick and your analysis was wrong, you don't give the team who drafted that guy a high score because they agreed with you.

Can't be broken down any better than that. :thumbsup:

@JoshNorris

Brian offered some great info on the #Bills draft. Rest of AFC East also discussed http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/62731/461/podcast-afc-east-recap

In the latest episode of the podcast, Josh Norris filed through each AFC East draft class and spoke with Brian Galliford of Buffalo Rumblings to detail the Bills' exact reasonings for their selections.

For more, here are Josh's press conference notes from the AFC East.