2016 NFL Draft Grades

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills get an A-. The Williams pick keeps this from being an A, but that's a minor quibble. Solid draft, all addressing areas of need. Solid values getting Lawson, Ragland, and Jones all after their projected spots. Big fan of this draft. On paper the best since 1985 (Bruuuce, Derrick Burroughs, Frank, Andre).

Thoughts and observations on the final day of the 2016 NFL Draft

By: Jon Ledyard

I’m not going to judge winners and losers of the third day of the NFL draft, because the exercise would be unfair and nearly impossible. I can’t fault teams for looking to fill out special teams units despite the fact that better players are on the board. Day three is where each team’s mindset begins to switch from who the best players are, to what they need to complete each aspect of their roster. So I’ll just offer some overall thoughts on the day in general.

If I’m Buffalo, I’m feeling great about my draft class as a whole, especially now that day three is in the books. You got your developmental quarterback in Cardale Jones in case things don’t work out with Tyrod Taylor. You got your future starting running back in Jonathan Williams in case of LeSean McCoy’s next “issue”. You got a deep threat who can take the top off a defense in WR Kolby Listenbee, opening things up for Sammy Watkins. And CB Kevon Seymour is good value in the 6th round as a small cover man who can potentially contribute on special teams amidst a crowded secondary. Great day.

Only time will reveal the teams who drafted the best from the 2016 NFL Draft, but the instant reactions point to these five teams as franchises who did the best in terms of securing value and acquiring talent.

Buffalo Bills

• 1 (19) DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
  • 2 (41) ILB Reggie Ragland, Alabama
  • 3 (80) DT Adolphus Washington, Ohio State
  • 4 (139) QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State
  • 5 (156) RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
  • 6 (192) WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU
  • 6 (218) CB Kevon Seymour, USC

Rex Ryan's defense in Buffalo was largely a disappointment in his first season as the Bills' head coach. So the organization went defense early and often in the 2016 NFL Draft, starting with Lawson in the first round as a reliable pass rush threat. Ragland might only be a two-down player, but he gives Ryan his version of David Harris in Buffalo. Two Buckeyes came off the board next for the Bills, including Jones, who is worth a fourth-round pick to see if he can develop into a quarterback who can push for starting reps. Williams is a top-three back in this class if healthy and Listenbee adds more speed to the Bills already fast wide receiver group.

What are the Cowboys thinking taking a RB at No. 4? Or the Bucs trading up for a kicker in Round 2? We grade every team's draft haul.

BUF.pngBuffalo Bills

Best pick: Fifth-round running back Jonathan Williams from Arkansas has second-round talent. But he missed last season with a foot injury. He has skills.

Questionable move: I know they needed pass-rush help, but I am not a big fan of first-round pick Shaq Lawson. There is a tendency to over-draft pass rushers, and this could be a case of that.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round receiver Kolby Listenbee is a speed burner who can amp up the passing game. He was a 100-meter runner at TCU, which tells you he can fly. He's raw, but they have to love that ability to get down the field.

Analysis: If you love Lawson and second-round linebacker Reggie Ragland, this is a good draft. If you don't, and I don't, it's just OK. That's why I rate this as an average draft.

Grade: C

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the haul of this draft and UDFA. We are looking deeper and this is Rex's chance to prove us all wrong with the D. No one has any excuses with the roster that Whaley has provided. If Rex does not deliver at least 9-7, then it's time to ship his ass out.

This is a talented roster.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with the haul of this draft and UDFA. We are looking deeper and this is Rex's chance to prove us all wrong with the D. No one has any excuses with the roster that Whaley has provided. If Rex does not deliver at least 9-7, then it's time to ship his ass out.

This is a talented roster.

With the talent on hand and the 2nd year in the same offensive/defensive systems, they have a chance to be successful this season. Can't wait until September.

@si_nfl

How did your team do in the '16 draft? @ChrisBurke_SI & @SI_DougFarrar hand out final grades http://on.si.com/1O4XKhG

ChVjWRpUcAA1x8m.jpg
Buffalo Bills: A-

First pick: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson (No. 19)

Other notable picks: Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama (41); Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State (139); Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas (156)

The Bills used their first three picks on defense, even trading up to get Ragland (at a steep cost: the No. 49 selection and two fourth-rounders). He was a potential first-round fit for their defense, so finding the ILB hammer still available at the 41st pick has to be considered a win. The same really goes for Lawson, who was considered a possibility for teams like Tampa Bay and the Giants within the top 10. Third-round DT Adolphus Washington rounded out the Buffalo run, and the brothers Ryan have to like his versatility. What the Bills did on the other side of the ball is intriguing, to say the least. Cardale Jones is an ideal developmental candidate behind starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor—it does not require much imagination to see Jones uncorking deep balls to burner Kolby Listenbee in the near future. Running back Jonathan Williams will outplay his draft slot if he’s healthy, although he enters a crowded backfield.​ —CB

Winners and losers: Jags ready for playoff push

The draft is officially in the books and the Jaguars will not be a "sleeper" playoff pick this year after adding Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack. Gregg Rosenthal names the winners and losers of the draft.

Rex Ryan: Wherever Rex Ryan goes, defensive draft picks follow. (It's almost as if he ignores his offense and has no idea how to solve problems on that side of the ball.)

With that out of the way, the Bills' defense truly does look better after taking defensive end Shaq Lawson, thumper inside linebacker Reggie Ragland, and third-round defense tackle Adolphus Washington from Ohio State. Another Buckeye, fourth-round pick Cardale Jones, provides the team a talented signal-caller to develop behind Tyrod Taylor. The Bills need to hit on their late-round offensive picks because general manager Doug Whaley might not be allowed to take a premium offensive player for a while.

:blink: To the text in bold. Someone doesn't get that Whaley makes the calls on who gets drafted.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Instant draft reaction: Best, most worrisome picks
As the dust settles following the 2016 NFL Draft, Elliot Harrison presents the picks he loved and the picks that raised an eyebrow. Where do the selections of Paxton Lynch and Myles Jack fall?

Drafts I liked

Buffalo Bills: The Bills drafted two players who can make a difference on Day 1 of the 2016 season in defensive end Shaq Lawson (19th overall pick) and linebacker Reggie Ragland (41st overall). The latter was a high-value pick, going where he went. Defensive tackle Adolphus Washington carries a couple of question marks, including off the field, but it seems everyone agrees he's tough to block, man-on-man. Coach Rex Ryan isn't playing around with his defense anymore. I don't mind the Bills taking a flier on quarterback Cardale Jones with the very last pick of the fourth round, which was a compensatory selection to boot.

My favorite draft classes belong to Green Bay and Jacksonville

I was dying to get your boy Kyle Murphy in the 6th after watching a video you'd posted. Alas he went to a front office that knows what they're doing and a coaching staff that can develop players so good for him. Edited by Aaron

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: Three up, three down: NFL Draft edition: https://t.co/nR8AQ3T7bO

Repeat it with me: Grading NFL draft classes a day after they've been formulated is silly.

I understand why people do it (page views!), but the reality is it will take two or three years before we truly know which teams hit it rich in the 2016 NFL Draft and which teams struck out.

However, it's natural to have a reaction to each team's class. Some picks will be met with a nod of approval, while others are met with a shake of the head.

Here is a look at three teams who are up and three who are down in my view after the draft:

Three up

Buffalo Bills: Every pick made by General Manager Doug Whaley was a logical one. The team went about rebuilding its defense by using its first three picks on the front seven. A developmental quarterback was needed, and Whaley got the one with perhaps the biggest ceiling in the fourth round. After that, he added a vertical threat at wide receiver who has game-changing speed, took a shot on a talented running back coming off of injury and stayed true to form by drafting another cornerback – which he says he'd like to do every year.

The only minor quibble I have is the selection of Adolphus Washington in the third round. In what was perceived to be a deep defensive line class, Washington did not stand out. Making matters worse was his arrest for solicitation – which at the very least shows a glaring lack of judgment.

Outside of that, however, it's hard to complain about much.

@MelKiperESPN

Draft grades for 2016 are up. Primetime special to break it all down tonight at 7 ET. https://t.co/1GRQW1R03m

Buffalo Bills: B

Top needs: DE, LB, WR, DT

This draft class is an impressive double-edged sword for Rex Ryan and brother Rob Ryan: it gives them some much-needed help on defense, and could also be the class the front office points to if the defense doesn't get better. It's "Here you go, Rex. This better work."

Last year was bizarro football for a Rex Ryan-coached team -- it was the defense that kept Buffalo from the playoffs. Well, here comes some help. Shaq Lawson led college football in tackles for loss last season, and was my No. 12 prospect, so I like the value at No. 19. The concern: a number of teams believe he needs shoulder surgery, even if it can be delayed. I love the addition of Reggie Ragland at linebacker (even though the price was steep), a classic thumper who lacks elite range but can be a leader in the middle of the defense. Adolphus Washington provides solid value in Round 3 at another need position along the D-line; he can be a penetrator from the interior, and early in the season I wouldn't have suspected he'd be available this late. Cardale Jones is nowhere close to starting an NFL game, but he doesn't need to be, and the value is fine.

5 teams that flat-out crushed it putting together their 2016 NFL Draft class

Buffalo Bills

• 1 (19) DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson
  • 2 (41) ILB Reggie Ragland, Alabama
  • 3 (80) DT Adolphus Washington, Ohio State
  • 4 (139) QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State
  • 5 (156) RB Jonathan Williams, Arkansas
  • 6 (192) WR Kolby Listenbee, TCU
  • 6 (218) CB Kevon Seymour, USC
Rex Ryan's defense in Buffalo was largely a disappointment in his first season as the Bills' head coach. So the organization went defense early and often in the 2016 NFL Draft, starting with Lawson in the first round as a reliable pass rush threat. Ragland might only be a two-down player, but he gives Ryan his version of David Harris in Buffalo. Two Buckeyes came off the board next for the Bills, including Jones, who is worth a fourth-round pick to see if he can develop into a quarterback who can push for starting reps. Williams is a top-three back in this class if healthy and Listenbee adds more speed to the Bills already fast wide receiver group.

Prisco's NFL Draft Grades: 32 grades for 32 teams but only one A+

BUF.png

Buffalo Bills

Best pick: Fifth-round running back Jonathan Williams from Arkansas has second-round talent. But he missed last season with a foot injury. He has skills.

Questionable move: I know they needed pass-rush help, but I am not a big fan of first-round pick Shaq Lawson. There is a tendency to over-draft pass rushers, and this could be a case of that.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round receiver Kolby Listenbee is a speed burner who can amp up the passing game. He was a 100-meter runner at TCU, which tells you he can fly. He's raw, but they have to love that ability to get down the field.

Analysis: If you love Lawson and second-round linebacker Reggie Ragland, this is a good draft. If you don't, and I don't, it's just OK. That's why I rate this as an average draft.

Grade: C

Here are Pricso's grade on each Bills pick, Lawson B-, Ragland B, Washington B-, Jones B, Williams B-, Listenbee B and Seymour C-. He then gives an overall game of C? Is he giving greater weight to the last pick, which is really 7th rounder?

Here are Pricso's grade on each Bills pick, Lawson B-, Ragland B, Washington B-, Jones B, Williams B-, Listenbee B and Seymour C-. He then gives an overall game of C? Is he giving greater weight to the last pick, which is really 7th rounder?

Never expect logic from Prisco.

can't believe this awful drafting. 2 1st round graded players with the first 2 picks. Explain that, Whaley! And a pass rushing NT. Unacceptable. You can't hit Brady.

Hoping for a safety/CB (Buchanan from Miami?) with the next pick, or a OT (Beavers, Western Michigan).

Personally I thought they should have gone punter in all seven rounds. Nothing but incompetence at OBD. Edited by Billsmovinup