Carolina rescinds tag on Norman

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow

@panthers

#Panthers GM Dave Gettleman: After a number of conversations with Joshs agent we realized that a long-term deal was not attainable."

@mikegarafolo

Over past few months, Josh Norman's agent had been looking for a deal in range of $16m per yr and up, sources said. Tag = just south of $14m

Carolina has a good message board. The Carolina huddle or something. Xanr remember it. It'll have info. But I'd heard this down here is that talks were terrible and neither side was ever going to be close. The panthers not believing he is worth it and didn't want to give him more than 4 yrs. He was looking for 6+ yrs. Etc

Basically, he's overrated as can be

Carolina has a good message board. The Carolina huddle or something. Xanr remember it. It'll have info. But I'd heard this down here is that talks were terrible and neither side was ever going to be close. The panthers not believing he is worth it and didn't want to give him more than 4 yrs. He was looking for 6+ yrs. Etc

Basically, he's overrated as can be

and already 29

I admire Dave Gettleman for standing up against player power.

That fanbase is going to HATE it but it might be the best long-term move.

Could be a similar scenario in the making here, that's what I found most interesting. Some great corners are going to be available at the end of the 1st round I don't blame Carolina.

Now I will safely slot Alexander to Carolina in the 1st.

I admire Dave Gettleman for standing up against player power.

That fanbase is going to HATE it but it might be the best long-term move.

most fans realize his not that amazing. They're too busy on their knees for cam. Believing he is the key to their success

Late in FA, but 6 teams still have >$20M in cap space: Bears (22.1), Giants (22.2), Titans (29.4), Browns (39.8), 49ers (52.2) & Jags (53.7)

I'd love to see him on the giants with Beckham. In fact it makes sense for him to go there with his big attitude.

Bears also make sense. But he will now have something to prove and want to show it. Too bad he's awful at man coverage

Wouldn't you try to trade Norman if you're Carolina?

maybe they did try, but trading a player like that is very difficult. First, you need to give up picks, second, you need to have the ability to pay his tag amount this year, and 3rd you have to be confident he will sign with you long term or you just traded for a rented player. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd love to see him on the giants with Beckham. In fact it makes sense for him to go there with his big attitude.

Bears also make sense. But he will now have something to prove and want to show it. Too bad he's awful at man coverage

Been saying all along, if he were in a bills uni hes no better than Corey Graham

and already 29

truth is if he was smart he would go for $11mm. Sign somewhere with long term idea of playing free safety in a system which he can cover deep and keep the play ahead of him. He could make a great safety. Belichick would covet this guy along with ravens older style d paired with end reed. Pittsburgh, Houston or Denver also fit his style if he would go to fs

maybe they did try

its surprising they couldnt get ANYTHING for him though.

if he thinks hes going to get 16m+ you would think someone would see him worth a 7th even on a tag. unless hes threatening ugly holdout until he gets a long term deal.

its surprising they couldnt get ANYTHING for him though.

if he thinks hes going to get 16m+ you would think someone would see him worth a 7th even on a tag. unless hes threatening ugly holdout until he gets a long term deal.

i don't think he ever signed his tag. So he'd have to agree to the team he's being traded to in order to sign the tag, so they can trade him Edited by YoloinOhio

Maybe.

But now you get nothing... Wouldn't you take. 2nd or a 3rd at that point?

they can't trade an unsigned player. So if they tried to trade him and found a trade partner who has the cap space to fit him, he still needs to sign the tag before they can move forward. At that point he needs to agree to be traded. I doubt he would do that - he wants to be a FA. Edited by YoloinOhio

they can't trade an unsigned player. So if they tried to trade him and found a trade partner who has the cap space to fit him, he still needs to sign the tag before they can move forward. At that point he needs to agree to be traded. I doubt he would do that - he wants to be a FA.

I get that, but Carolina controls the strings. They basically gave Norman what he wanted. You would think they could use his services this year if he refused the trade. What does freeing up $14MM at this point do?

I get that, but Carolina controls the strings. They basically gave Norman what he wanted. You would think they could use his services this year if he refused the trade. What does freeing up $14MM at this point do?

i would think they could use him this year, yes. It's possible they think he could be a distraction. Or something happened behind the scenes that we don't know. Clearly this almost never happens so it is probably that and he's going to hold out, and they want to draw a line in the sand and not set a precedent. Edited by YoloinOhio

He's a nobody. Any team that pays up for him is foolish. It's like asking would you pay revis money for Corey Graham? Course not. Add that wih his attitude and it's best to stay miles away from this guy.

Not exactly.

I will throw a hypothetical out there. Would you trade Gilmore to Carolina for a 2nd (assuming they can reach a long-term deal) and use the new found cap space to sign Norman to a long-term deal?

No. Gilmore is just entering the prime years of his career.

Late in FA, but 6 teams still have >$20M in cap space: Bears (22.1), Giants (22.2), Titans (29.4), Browns (39.8), 49ers (52.2) & Jags (53.7)

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. Norman screws himself a bit by limiting his audience to that small group if he's hoping to break the bank this offseason. But it's the NFL so someone will probably jump at or close to his demands.

Edited by KD in CT