Aaron Williams is Back, but with a New Approach to Injuries

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching the Bills vs. Carolina Panthers game from 2013. The game is tied 14-14, Carolina's ball, 3rd and 12 (Panther's end). Cam Newton overthrew his intended WR by a great deal, and Aaron Williams (with all of his emotion) drilled the WR further out of bounds (blatant unnecessary roughness). The penalty allowed the Panthers to keep the ball.

I bring it up to highlight his intensity for the game. We've seen it at other times (Patriots week 2, last season). And on occasion, it has hurt the Bills. I hope he plays with that same emotion, but with a mature approach. That'll also mean he's healthy and playing! I see him as the leader of our defense. He will be the "Ed Reed" of this year's team and will tie it all together (physically and mentally).

(Side note: Mario was a beast.)

I'm watching the Bills vs. Carolina Panthers game from 2013. The game is tied 14-14, Carolina's ball, 3rd and 12 (Panther's end). Cam Newton overthrew his intended WR by a great deal, and Aaron Williams (with all of his emotion) drilled the WR further out of bounds (blatant unnecessary roughness). The penalty allowed the Panthers to keep the ball.

I bring it up to highlight his intensity for the game. We've seen it at other times (Patriots week 2, last season). And on occasion, it has hurt the Bills. I hope he plays with that same emotion, but with a mature approach. That'll also mean he's healthy and playing! I see him as the leader of our defense. He will be the "Ed Reed" of this year's team and will tie it all together (physically and mentally).

Aaron was attempting to step into a leadership role in the secondary last year. He was a bit , if not a lot, overzealous.

Talking a ton and over pursuing. Not sure how many penalties but he was on the verge of plenty.

Tried to do too much. And more than needed perhaps.

Hope he can find some balance , play smarter and more efficiently. I do like the Kid once he moved into the middle !

Edited by 3rdand12

That play is THE one that I think about when I consider his temperament on the field. I was furious when it happened--incredibly selfish and stupid.

We need him to play his A-game; he's the best safety on the roster, and we need that to be a good thing.

He was a complete dumbass against the Patriots in week 2.

I was screaming at my tv to get him off the field. He came off eventually, but because of injury. He's a solid player but way too emotional at times and as a result does really stupid and unnecessary things. These dumb penalties offset his solid play.

Some Bills fans were talking of AW like we were missing an all pro during the season. Not the case at all, IMO.

We were all frustrated, I was irate with his decision making. His loss due to injury very much hurt the Bills last season (not the loss of his bone headed penalties - but I do agree, at times his play and mental lapses in judgment offset each other). A healthy Aaron Williams and he being a a good leader will help the Bills defense this year. I guess I'm envisioning a player that really had time for quality soul searching.....He'll appreciate the game and his role more. Not only will Ed Reed help, I'm sure Fred Jackson had A. Williams over to the house a plenty this off season. He can finally fill Fred Jackon's role.

I wish DBs were taught to not look for the big hit, but rather for the sure thing. I hate when Gilmore does his diving headbutt/shoulder block, I feel like he misses so many tackles because of that. Wrap the legs and twist, people.

I wish everybody would stop with the diving shoulder tackles. You can still get a big his by driving your shoulder into their gut and wrapping up the legs and you'll miss far fewer tackles.

• 2 months later...

2nd biggest negative impact on the defense last year was the loss of AW and the opportunity to work in tandem with CG, imo. Never had a chance to flatten out the curve as they learned how to adapt various scheme elements to certain opponents and looks. Safety is such a critical aspect to our defense; moreso than ever.

GO BILLS!!!

An eagle eyed K-9 drops it next to the flag with a slightly uphill putt for the birdie.

I'll bet Robert Blanton has fewer personal foul penalties this year when he's the starting SS.

Ha ! Likely true

I honestly feel Bills better have a backup plan.

I watched his interview and he does not honestly believe he is ready to play.

His mind ain't right.

Bills asked him to become a vocal leader when moved to safety, He used his hitting and emotion as his weapons of choice.

He should have been reigned in sooner ( hindsight of course)

I do not like to say this. but i think he may be done before the season starts.

BTW he really wasn't all that great. Some like Chris Brown speak as if he was nearly an enigma. It was just such a big dropoff after he was sidelined

He might have developed into a very very good one though.

The play against NE was far from being one of his more unsafe initiations of contact.

The problem is that the damage was done in 2014 on one of his patented lead-with-the-head-and-risk-a-15-yard-penalty....for no reason.....plays.

His play was middling the rest of the 2014 season while trying to keep from ending up on IR.

It healed so well that after about 9 months without much contact he nearly paralyzed himself on a routine tackle in game 2 the next season.

It's nice that he knows the cost of playing out of control NOW.......but it wouldn't have saved him in that NE game.

If he can somehow sustain a long career and play good football again without f*cking up that neck then it will be a medical marvel, IMO.

The play against NE was far from being one of his more unsafe initiations of contact.

The problem is that the damage was done in 2014 on one of his patented lead-with-the-head-and-risk-a-15-yard-penalty....for no reason.....plays.

His play was middling the rest of the 2014 season while trying to keep from ending up on IR.

It healed so well that after about 9 months without much contact he nearly paralyzed himself on a routine tackle in game 2 the next season.

It's nice that he knows the cost of playing out of control NOW.......but it wouldn't have saved him in that NE game.

If he can somehow sustain a long career and play good football again without f*cking up that neck then it will be a medical marvel, IMO.

I am keeping my finger's crossed that this is not true....he is very talented

• 3 weeks later...

I wish DBs were taught to not look for the big hit, but rather for the sure thing. I hate when Gilmore does his diving headbutt/shoulder block, I feel like he misses so many tackles because of that. Wrap the legs and twist, people.

Not to mention that's how Gilmore gets put on IR seemingly every year.

Yet many posters here claimed his loss was the main reason the defense fell off a cliff. I never bought it.

Well I do

Its not the hits with the head that made him valuable...it was his on field communication that was REALLY the reason why last years team dropped in my opinion

Strong communication is needed at the Safety and LB position in this defense.....we lost one of them and the LB didnt handle the role well

That is why I think having Aaron back and drafting Ragland is gonna be big for this team