"The #1 thing you can look forward to with me is attitude"

So NFL coaches tell the truth to the media, all the time? They couldn't possibly be just giving lip service? Is that really where you hang your hat?

i have no idea why anyone would take anything Rex says seriously. I haven't done so since he was with the jets. Somehow people still hang on his words and cry when they find out it's not real. He says nothing of importance to the media. He likes to get a rise out of them. He's a media troll.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea why anyone would take anything Rex says seriously. I haven't done so since he was with the jets. Somehow people still hang on his words and cry when they find out it's not real. He says nothing of importance to the media. He likes to get a rise out of them. He's a media troll.

Yes, and he has a lot of fun doing it too.

Why not bench him? Because Rex is famously soft on star players--especially ones eating up so much in annual cap. You really think he's going to bench Mario in any scenario ever?

And you really watched Mario this year and were convinced he was doing his best? You must be joking. Did he need to hold up a sign for you to read?

As for the second bolded sentence....maybe the rest of us fans don't "get" it because Rex was crystal clear in every press conference from his hiring through preseason that this team had all the players he needed to succeed on D. But you seem to think he needs a few years or roster turnover before his system will work? You should give him a call...

Everyone has an excuse for everything.

Apparently Ryan thought the roster was going to work last year too. Like when he said "we will make the playoffs" and "we will be the number one defense for the 2015 season". Then not even close for either. Sucks for me when I chose to believe the guy.

The man knows how to run one defensive scheme and if the players don't match that scheme then the defense won't be very good. It will be years of drafting before that two-gap scheme of his works in Buffalo to be a top 5 defense whether you or anyone else believes it or not. And that is "if" the bills manage to draft the right players.

Plus, like I said Mario was a pro bowl pass rusher in Jim Schwartz's scheme, as was Dareus, Kyle Williams and Hughes should have gone too with his 10 sacks. Put those men in a two-gap scheme and they all sorta look average because they don't fit well in it. You know, kinda like last year. I also said Mario was a lousy DE in a 3-4 two-gap mostly because he isn't used to playing in it. Just like his line coach mentioned.

I also stated Mario doesn't get a pass because of his attitude and deserves some criticism. Just not to the extent that some here are railing on him for.

Edited by Nihilarian

Everyone has an excuse for everything.

Apparently Ryan thought the roster was going to work last year too. Like when he said "we will make the playoffs" and "we will be the number one defense for the 2015 season". Then not even close for either. Sucks for me when I chose to believe the guy.

The man knows how to run one defensive scheme and if the players don't match that scheme then the defense won't be very good. It will be years of drafting before that two-gap scheme of his works in Buffalo to be a top 5 defense whether you or anyone else believes it or not. And that is "if" the bills manage to draft the right players.

Plus, like I said Mario was a pro bowl pass rusher in Jim Schwartz's scheme, as was Dareus, Kyle Williams and Hughes should have gone too with his 10 sacks. Put those men in a two-gap scheme and they all sorta look average because they don't fit well in it. You know, kinda like last year. I also said Mario was a lousy DE in a 3-4 two-gap mostly because he isn't used to playing in it. Just like his line coach mentioned.

I also stated Mario doesn't get a pass because of his attitude and deserves some criticism. Just not to the extent that some here are railing on him for.

There is no one on this board who is more critical than I am of the buffoonish HC. Regardless how anyone feels about the HC it is difficult for me to understand how anyone who watched the games last year can not come to the conclusion that Mario blatantly malingered on the field.

As I said in a prior post WGR's Sal Capaccio who is one of the most benign media members in the sports business said that he was well aware that Mario mailed it in even before the season began because he did not want to play in the Rex system.

Rex coached like an incompetent; and Mario played with no integrity and respect for the game. I think you are over analyzing the situation. Trust your eyes and you will come up with a more accurate picture.

Edited by JohnC

Rex sucked for most of last year. Mario didn't try for most of last year.

Both pissed me off.

Hopefully Rex proves a lot of Bills fans wrong next year and Mario sucks in Miami.

this exactly

Yes, and he has a lot of fun doing it too.

tis true enough Nanks

There is no one on this board who is more critical than I am of the buffoonish HC. Regardless how anyone feels about the HC it is difficult for me to understand how anyone who watched the games last year can not come to the conclusion that Mario blatantly malingered on the field.

As I said in a prior post WGR's Sal Capaccio who is one of the most benign media members in the sports business said that he was well aware that Mario mailed it in even before the season began because he did not want to play in the Rex system.

Rex coached like an incompetent; and Mario played with no integrity and respect for the game. I think you are over analyzing the situation. Trust your eyes and you will come up with a more accurate picture.

nice retort

That's the thing, John, as I've watched the games and understand what a DE's responsibility is in a two-gap scheme. Especially for a player that isn't used to playing in it at all. Then Ryan's scheme is a particularly overly complicated defensive scheme in that the DE might have 5-7 reads on each pass play. Then depending on what the defensive call is the player needs to read and react while thinking of what he is supposed to do rather than just allowing instinct to take over.

Even some of the Bills players are torn on what they saw on the field. Some say he was dogging it while others say he wasn't. This was from a link I posted in an earlier post.

"Inside linebacker Preston Brown asserts that Williams “definitely bought in” to Ryan’s defense and that effort hasn’t been an issue.

“He was trying to do what the coaches asked him to,” Brown said. “When you’re 30 years old, it’s kind of hard to start doing stuff you’ve never done. … He’s out there doing his job. I know he’s out there doing his job day in and day out.”

All I was saying is that in Ryan's scheme it looked like Mario Williams wasn't playing at full speed and yet he wasn't being asked to rush the passer. He was being asked to stay in one position to hold the point of attack until the direction of the play could be determined and then make the read on what to do. To the layman, and to someone not privy to what the defensive play call is, this makes the DE look like he isn't doing anything for a few seconds but standing in one spot.

Mario Williams had 5 sacks on the season so he must have been giving some effort to attain those sacks. On the other side Jerry Hughes also only had 5 sacks. In regards to the difference in tackles between Jerry Hughes and Mario is that if you were an offensive coordinator which player would you slant the play towards? The 6'6 290 LB all-pro DE or the 6'2 253 lb DE?

My take on this situation is that Mario was very unhappy about his role in Ryan's scheme and because he was very vocal about it, then one could easily define him as having a bad attitude. Nobody on that D-line looked good in Ryan's scheme vs Schwartz's scheme except perhaps that Manster #99 who looked like he did what he wanted on some plays and didn't always stay put to allow the LBers behind him make the plays.

I'm not so much defending Mario as I am condemning the 2015 Bills DC and the bozo who took an all pro D-line in being the number one team in the league in sacks and castrated them into looking like a bunch of average players who were almost last in the league in sacks. Going from 1st to 31st is beyond ridiculous. I tend to agree with Preston Brown and the Bills coaches on this issue.

All I was saying is that in Ryan's scheme it looked like Mario Williams wasn't playing at full speed and yet he wasn't being asked to rush the passer. He was being asked to stay in one position to hold the point of attack until the direction of the play could be determined and then make the read on what to do. To the layman, and to someone not privy to what the defensive play call is, this makes the DE look like he isn't doing anything for a few seconds but standing in one spot.

The bold take is false and completely incorrect. I've discussed this with you before. I've even shown/posted you pictures.

Yes, when a defensive lineman is given a two-gap responsibility, his job is to quickly diagnose the play and pick which gap is the weak point. That is correct. The problem is, you don't seem to understand Rex Ryans scheme. Rex Ryans defensive scheme is not a two-gap scheme for the DL on every single play. It is multiple. They run combinations. Half the line could be playing a 3-4 concept and the other half could be playing a 4-3 concept.

Mario Williams did not have two-gap responsibility on every single play. He was asked to rush the passer plenty of times. Did Mario Williams have plays where he had two-gap responsibilities? Yes, he did. Is that the most effective way to use his freak athletic speed/strength? No, it probably isn't. Does that make Mario Williams mailing it in, ok? No it certainly does not.

It is entirely possible to not agree with Rex Ryans scheme and how he used Mario AND be upset at how Mario reacted to what he was being asked to do. Just because Mario didn't like the position/role he was being asked to play is not an excuse for the way he acted. Other players on the line didn't mail it in.

It is entirely possible to not agree with Rex Ryans scheme and how he used Mario AND be upset at how Mario reacted to what he was being asked to do. Just because Mario didn't like the position/role he was being asked to play is not an excuse for the way he acted. Other players on the line didn't mail it in.

A cogent articulation of the fundamental issue! Rex isn't the issue here. Player accountability and responsibility are. His sporadic play demonstrated a lack of integrity and respect for the game. Nihilarian is attempting to use nuanced arguments justifying MW's disinterested play. There is no justification for his willful reluctant play on the field.

Mario's intermittent good play isn't an argument that he was giving good effort (Nihilarian's point) ; it is a an argument that he wasn't always playing with conviction and integrity. That is the point.

The bold take is false and completely incorrect. I've discussed this with you before. I've even shown/posted you pictures.

Yes, when a defensive lineman is given a two-gap responsibility, his job is to quickly diagnose the play and pick which gap is the weak point. That is correct. The problem is, you don't seem to understand Rex Ryans scheme. Rex Ryans defensive scheme is not a two-gap scheme for the DL on every single play. It is multiple. They run combinations. Half the line could be playing a 3-4 concept and the other half could be playing a 4-3 concept.

Mario Williams did not have two-gap responsibility on every single play. He was asked to rush the passer plenty of times. Did Mario Williams have plays where he had two-gap responsibilities? Yes, he did. Is that the most effective way to use his freak athletic speed/strength? No, it probably isn't. Does that make Mario Williams mailing it in, ok? No it certainly does not.

That Bolded Is not completely incorrect because you yourself acknowledged that Mario was utilized in a two-scheme at times. I have also pointed out to you that that I knew Ryan used multiple schemes and sets last year and even had the defense line up in Schwartz's wide-nine scheme with Mario on the outside of the tackle to rush the passer. Although that didn't happen very often and with not much success either. I think a big part of the problem was that Ryan's schemes and play calls are so complex that the players are no longer going by instinct and are forced to think about what their responsibilities are on any given play. This hurts the defense quite a bit because it slows things down for them.

Another gripe that Mario had is that he felt he was being asked to drop into pass coverage more than he ever had done in the past. Even Buffalo's Jim Kelly said he would have loved to play against the Bills front four to see Mario, Marcell, Kyle, and Hughes dropping into pass coverage rather than just rush the passer. Then with the combination of late play calls, late player substitutions and players not being set when the ball was snapped the defense looked like a clusterfluck half the time.

My talking about the 3-4 two-gap is because it looked like Ryan ran that scheme most of the time and more than any other play. The reasoning being is the lack of sacks, hits, hurries on opposing QB's all season long. Now this year Ryan states the team will move to the 3-4 full time. But saying that I also realize Ryan will still utilize multiple looks and sets to keep the offense guessing. It will probably be a combination of two-gap and one-gap schemes. He also stated he will simplify the play calls for the players who haven't played that much in his defense.

The sole reason I kept bringing up the two-gap scheme is because so many Fans are saying the guy mailed it in and I brought up the fact that when that play is run it merely looks like the DE isn't doing anything! You even reinforced that in your post. But, If that were truly the case that Mario mailed it in, he wouldn't have even gotten the five sacks he had on the year or the coaches and players wouldn't be vouching for him.

Yes, the guy had a bad attitude and yes he was vocal about his dislike for the way he was being utilized. However, like I said, I'm siding with the Bills coaches and Preston Brown on this.