Draft/team needs post first phase of FA

The Bills have made some solid signings for back-up and ST's role players.

Now that the first phase of FA is over, how do you assess the Bills needs.

I still think NT/DT, DE, LB, LB, WR, and OT are the needs. With the FSU kicker in the mix somewhere if he lasts in the draft.

Depending on Henderson's health, OT could be top priority of that list or the last.

I still think LB in the first, then DL or WR depending on BPA.

I still think NT/DT, DE, LB, LB, WR, and OT are the needs. With the FSU kicker in the mix somewhere if he lasts in the draft.

Depending on Henderson's health, OT could be top priority of that list or the last.

I think Safety is a sneaky need. Don't be surprised to see the Bills take one in rounds 2-3.

I think Safety is a sneaky need. Don't be surprised to see the Bills take one in rounds 2-3.

I think that all depends on Aaron Williams and his health....they did sign the vet in the offseason from the vikings

i sincerely hope this does not reflect the thinking at OBD.

To me this is going to depend on whether or not its in a trade down......would love to have some speed at LB....I know we brought in the vet.....but more is needed

would love to have some speed at LB....I know we brought in the vet.....but more is needed

I agree John...But at the expense of one of the many D-linemen that can be had...even in a trade down...I would not touch LB before #49...And even then...Unless it's Fackrell I'm not crazy about it... B-)

I agree SS is a need but they may try to address later in FA.

I still think LB is biggest need but also tend to agree the strength of the first round is DL. I would rather have the 2nd or third best LB over the 8th or 9the best DL if there is a run on DL early.

I still think LB is biggest need but also tend to agree the strength of the first round is DL. I would rather have the 2nd or third best LB over the 8th or 9the best DL if there is a run on DL early.

My understanding was that this draft is very deep in DL with starters available in the first 3 rounds. I have not heard of a big dropoff for DLs but I have heard of a big dropoff for LBs. If that's the case then I would think LB in the first makes sense.

If one resource is scarce and another is plentiful, obtaining the scarce resource must be a priority (why some people say draft a QB in the first every year until you have one). In this scenario its the LBs that are scarce so I have no problem with them picking one early and then getting a DL in a later round.

Agreed

I think that all depends on Aaron Williams and his health....they did sign the vet in the offseason from the vikings

IMO we don't have the luxury to wait and see till preseason. I don't think we will know till preseason on Aaron Williams.

My understanding was that this draft is very deep in DL with starters available in the first 3 rounds. I have not heard of a big dropoff for DLs but I have heard of a big dropoff for LBs. If that's the case then I would think LB in the first makes sense.

If one resource is scarce and another is plentiful, obtaining the scarce resource must be a priority (why some people say draft a QB in the first every year until you have one). In this scenario its the LBs that are scarce so I have no problem with them picking one early and then getting a DL in a later round.

Agreed

So if really good kickers or running backs were scarce, would that mean we should take one in the first round? What about positional value?

So if really good kickers or running backs were scarce, would that mean we should take one in the first round? What about positional value?

You talk value. We should talk results. That's all that matters at the end of the day. LB's in Rex's scheme are important too. They need someone who can cover TE/RB effectively. If there is a LB at 19 who can do that, as opposed to what they currently have on the roster, they should take him, knowing there are options at DT/DE in round 2 and 3 who are considered starter/contributor level players. If the draft were not deep at the DL position I would agree with you, take the DL player over a LB. Although DL is a need, they do have talent on the DL already. Talent at LB is lacking in general.

Edited by purple haze

If they are taking a linebacker in the first it must be someone who you can do a lot with. It has to be a guy who can play all 3 downs, can play the run, can cover tight ends and backs and can be used situationally to rush the passer. Essentially, if you are getting a Luke Kuechly at #19 or even maybe a Lavonte David then great take a linebacker.... but if what you are getting at #19 is a Vontze Burfict for example (good player, no doubt, and a premier run stopper but someone who you can't do that much else with) then it is not making the most value of your pick.

I think there are only two linebackers in this class who fit first round value at #19. One will be long gone, the other might have destroyed his knee so bad he never plays a down in the NFL. Ragland nor Lee would not be positional value at #19 for me (although I think so far as OBD is concerned Lee probably IS very much in the mix for our pick).

Edited by GunnerBill

I say a true 3-4 NT is the greatest need on the defense. We will also need a LDE so we can kick Dareus out to DE on the other side. That would put Hughes as the 3-4 OLB coming off of the edge beside him. This defense will be a whole lot more intimidating if we can do this. We also need one of the cross over in the box type of SS's. Those are the types of Safeties that Rex covets for his defense. I say we need to add a LB or two possibly, but it's not a "must have in the 1st" type of need. This draft is deep on the front 7 so anywhere in rounds one through four starters can be had.

I say a true 3-4 NT is the greatest need on the defense. We will also need a LDE so we can kick Dareus out to DE on the other side. That would put Hughes as the 3-4 OLB coming off of the edge beside him. This defense will be a whole lot more intimidating if we can do this. We also need one of the cross over in the box type of SS's. Those are the types of Safeties that Rex covets for his defense. I say we need to add a LB or two possibly, but it's not a "must have in the 1st" type of need. This draft is deep on the front 7 so anywhere in rounds one through four starters can be had.

Billings

I've said this in other threads, but the round 1 pick for Buffalo for the last 10 years running has been one of the 30 visitors to OBD. If you look at the 19 that have already visited, there's only 7 that grade out as first round value. 3 out of those 7 are LB's (Lee, Ragland, Floyd). 2 are DL (Rankins, Reed). Not a single out of the 19 is a WR. Don't see it happening but perhaps late late rounds. For aristocrat, Eli Applie is on that list of 19 and projected to be first round value. Just FYI.

I've said this in other threads, but the round 1 pick for Buffalo for the last 10 years running has been one of the 30 visitors to OBD. If you look at the 19 that have already visited, there's only 7 that grade out as first round value. 3 out of those 7 are LB's (Lee, Ragland, Floyd). 2 are DL (Rankins, Reed). Not a single out of the 19 is a WR. Don't see it happening but perhaps late late rounds. For aristocrat, Eli Applie is on that list of 19 and projected to be first round value. Just FYI.

Floyd and Ragland do not offer enough. Lee is the only 3 down backer I see around the pick. And Myles Jack knee has ways scared me. This morning on Sirius it terrified me to learn more about it..

Dodd is the only de I want. Rankins and reed aren't that exciting like I'd want in a Rex Ryan defense and they'd struggle too much.

No thanks on apple. I don't think he will be all that in the NFL. Turns to slow. Doesn't have what it will take. Reminds me of the kid the jets took a while back.

I'd love a nark barron type but there aren't many reasonable options there to draft early having Barron's talent

excellent info. thank you

So yes positional value is important. But in this scenario I don't think the position value of an interior DL being >> the position value of an LB, thus I still think you wait on interior DL. Honestly though the draft looks set up to be BPA because its so deep at DL.

I could definitely be wrong about this...I probably will be...And the Bills don't announce their visits anymore anyway...So I don't think we can be 100% sure...

But hypothetically...If the Bills were interested in the same guy I'm enamored with at #19...I would not want him anywhere close to OBD in hopes no one...no one...puts the pieces of the puzzle together...Because I think this kid is a Pro Bowl monster waiting to happen...And the way it's looking he'll be there at #19... B-)