Bills Working on extensions for Gilmore & Maybe Tyrod

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...$15M per year seems a bit steep for a CB

CBF

At more than $11 million, Gilmore is being fairly compensated now. The Bills, as I understand it, would be willing to put him in the range of about $12.5 million, maybe $13 million, per year. But they aren't going to $15 million. Their cap space doesn't allow it and, with Taylor likely to be getting a huge payday in the future and second-year corner Ronald Darby headed for a whopping second contract in a couple of seasons, they can't justify the room a Norman-like deal would devour.

as i noted on my tweeter yesterday, told chances of Bills reaching contract extension with Tyrod Taylor this summer are slim. and they're even slimmer for Gilmore.

jw

So it's a prove it situation for Tyrod and a price too steep scenario for Gilmore?

Yeah, this is a tough one. Having him and Darby are a large part of Rex's defense. He needs two guys left on an island so the rest of the team can do whatever it is they do.

I agree that 15 mil seems like too much, but with the rising cap and this being a premium position, I don't know if it's that crazy anymore. Is next years 15 the same as 12 a few years back?

I like Gilmore, but I think I'd like to see someone step up that can be a replacement. But either way, we will be paying it to Darby in a few years. Just the nature of the business when you are able to get guys like this.

If Gilmore goes they can use that money to lure Prince from Jacksonville he would be adequate and cheaper. They had a chance at some good corners in the first and second rounds this year, hopefully the draft shakes out similarly in 17'.

If I'm the Bills I stay firm with my offer (assuming it's fair). Gilmore and his agent can talk all they want, they want to get a deal done. He can do little to improve his stock this year and another injury may actually drop his value on the open market. Gilmore would be taking on some risk to play 16' without a future contract and he and his agent know that.

If this is indeed the case, then I'd definitely tag him next season and try to move him for a draft pick.

Not tagging him may mean a high compensatory pick in 2018, but that's a 3rd rounder at best. Odds are you can fetch better in a trade--though the mega-deal he wants will make it tougher to get trade value, as it always does (see Josh Norman).

Disappointing though--I hate losing good players

If this is indeed the case, then I'd definitely tag him next season and try to move him for a draft pick.

Not tagging him may mean a high compensatory pick in 2018, but that's a 3rd rounder at best. Odds are you can fetch better in a trade--though the mega-deal he wants will make it tougher to get trade value, as it always does (see Josh Norman).

Disappointing though--I hate losing good players

Yeah me too but sometimes there is nothing the team can do when a player wants a salary that high.

And not saying this should be the deciding factor, but Gilmore has never played a full season since his rookie year in 2012.

If I'm giving someone $15M a year, I want to make sure he can make it through the entire season.

CBF

It's a tough one. On one hand, he's not Sherman level so matching his $14m/year isn't fair market value.

On the other hand, he's better than Joe Haden and he got $13.5m/year. Both deals were 2 years ago so there's salary cap inflation to take into consideration.

I'd still probably pay him $15m a year if that's what it takes. Not taking any chances on this one, he's a stud.

It's a tough one. On one hand, he's not Sherman level so matching his $14m/year isn't fair market value.

On the other hand, he's better than Joe Haden and he got $13.5m/year. Both deals were 2 years ago so there's salary cap inflation to take into consideration.

I'd still probably pay him $15m a year if that's what it takes. Not taking any chances on this one, he's a stud.

I'm not sure if I would agree with you that Gilmore is better than Haden

CBF

Agreed

Maybe they feel like they can try to pick up a guy like Darius Slay or Robert Alford in FA and save some cash

Agreed

Maybe they feel like they can try to pick up a guy like Darius Slay or Robert Alford in FA and save some cash

If he has to leave, I would love Slay. Loved him in college, turning himself into a high calibre professional. Not entirely sure he would be all that much cheaper on the open market than Gilmore though.

I've not looked too much at the 2017 cap but I thought it was feasible to extend Gilmore and sign a QB. Failure to do so, if plausible, would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit - Since Rex loves Clemson and corners, it's safe to think they might be considering Cordrea Tankersley in the draft as well.

Edited by Blokestradamus

We are not paying 15 million to a player that is injured every year. He is solid but not worth that kind of money. There are many corners in college and in the pros that are quality players that would play well for us for less than half that money. Can you say Kevon Seymore? And watch Michigan corner Jordan Lewis this year. He is tremendous. Has way more upside than Gilmore. Go Blue!!

It is the nature of the NFL that you can't pay everyone. Lets just hope that Gilmore can stay healthy this year, and leaves his best on the field for us, as we make our run deep into the postseason!!

We are not paying 15 million to a player that is injured every year. He is solid but not worth that kind of money. There are many corners in college and in the pros that are quality players that would play well for us for less than half that money. Can you say Kevon Seymore? And watch Michigan corner Jordan Lewis this year. He is tremendous. Has way more upside than Gilmore. Go Blue!!

It is the nature of the NFL that you can't pay everyone. Lets just hope that Gilmore can stay healthy this year, and leaves his best on the field for us, as we make our run deep into the postseason!!

I agree and also for a CB who has never had more than 3 INT's in a season.

CBF