Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson retiring

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hilarious. They asked him to take a pay cut and he was like, "Nah, I'm good. I don't think that I want to play anymore." He waited until after FA so they could replace him there. Now they must go OT in the 1st I would think (unless they don't re-sign Fitz).

To be fair, the Jest just asked him to take the paycut. It's not like he screwed them around thinking about it. It sure seems like they forced his hand with the paycut request. They knew he was considering retiring and had to know it might push him in that direction. Why they'd want to risk pushing him out the door is what baffles me.

To be fair, the Jest just asked him to take the paycut. It's not like he screwed them around thinking about it. It sure seems like they forced his hand with the paycut request. They knew he was considering retiring and had to know it might push him in that direction. Why they'd want to risk pushing him out the door is what baffles me.

I'm sorry for not being clear. I do not think that he maliciously waited. It is just kind of funny that it worked out that way.

@AlbertBreer

Jets will have LT options at 20, but don't assume they wait til the draft. Could look at trading for Ryan Clady, Joe Thomas or Luke Joeckel.

This makes sense. I bet it's Clady.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think the Browns are going to trade Thomas at this point unless they get a king's ransom. They just lost their RT and center and they need to keep RG3 healthy. Never say never but I don't see them parting ways for anything less than a 1st and more, and then the jets have his contract to deal with which I don't think they can afford with Fitz too. Jets are in a tough spot. They will either need to start a rookie or use a draft pick to trade for one who is likely to be a downgrade if a team is willing to let him go.

Edited by YoloinOhio

QB

I agree with this. There's 3 reasons a team tries to jump up 20 spots to #1: QB, QB, and QB.

This is the smart thing to do. You avoid blowing all available cap space on Fitz, pick up a real franchise QB, and there's an inordinately large bust rate for OTs picked in the top 5.