The Bills are doing good with FAs, now draft starters.

With the limited amount of salary cap and the loss of starters and role players the Bills are doing exactly what they should be doing in free agency. They sustained from the big money FAs, waited patiently for the next tier of value players and are structuring depth to a roster that has been decimated more than any other recent season that I can remember. I think that with the firigh. or 3 picks that they take in the draft are going to be expected to be starters. If so I like this kind of foresight, filling a roster with experienced depth at a reasonable value and then bringing in what is hopefully starters for rookie wages.

By the end of the 3rd rd it is very realistic that we net 2, possibly 3 starters. Whaley has proven, at least to me that he is a very astute evaluator of talent. Last year's draft really showed me something, with no 1st rder our GM came up L-A-R-G-E. I expect that our first 3 picks will either 1 LB, 1 DL and a QB OR 2 LBs and 1 DL. It seems that a #2 WR and a OL for the right side (RG or a RT) is speculated by more than just a few people. While I also agree that these positions should be addressed, and they will be, I just think that the Bills will be capable of finding the right player(s) for these positions with middle to late rd picks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the notion that the 2015 draft provided any indication Whaley is coming up Large. He hit on Darby and missed on everything else before and after Karlos Williams who looks like he is going to be severely limited in the availability column. He runs straight up and get trashed on anytime he takes contact.

Miller, Steward, O'leary, Lewis have shown nothing that would make me think we can't upgrade at those roster positions. Whaley still hasn't drafted a starting caliber Olineman. He saved face with the Incog signing which may or may not have been a Rex influence.

I'm not going to trash on Whaley but 2016 is make or break for a him. He has found talent but is still yet to form a TEAM worthy of anything above mediocrity. Last season we were all excited about how deep and talented we were...only Ryan Fitzpatrick stood between us and 6-10. Talent alone doesn't win in the NFL, talented TEAMS win in the NFL.

I don't understand the notion that the 2015 draft provided any indication Whaley is coming up Large. He hit on Darby and missed on everything else before and after Karlos Williams who looks like he is going to be severely limited in the availability column. He runs straight up and get trashed on anytime he takes contact.

Miller, Steward, O'leary, Lewis have shown nothing that would make me think we can't upgrade at those roster positions. Whaley still hasn't drafted a starting caliber Olineman. He saved face with the Incog signing which may or may not have been a Rex influence.

I'm not going to trash on Whaley but 2016 is make or break for a him. He has found talent but is still yet to form a TEAM worthy of anything above mediocrity. Last season we were all excited about how deep and talented we were...only Ryan Fitzpatrick stood between us and 6-10. Talent alone doesn't win in the NFL, talented TEAMS win in the NFL.

I love how you waived past Darby and started bitching about the rest of that draft.....brilliant

I love how you waived past Darby and started bitching about the rest of that draft.....brilliant

The first thing I said was Darby, don't let those rays of sunshine blind you John. My son wears a Darby jersey, I think he is going to be an absolute stud but that does not make the 2015 draft an overwhelming success. Did he salvage it after trading the 1st round pick? I'd agree, he salvaged it because he got a soon to be top 5 corner.

The first thing I said was Darby, don't let those rays of sunshine blind you John. My son wears a Darby jersey, I think he is going to be an absolute stud but that does not make the 2015 draft an overwhelming success. Did he salvage it after trading the 1st round pick? I'd agree, he salvaged it because he got a soon to be top 5 corner.

but your digging on players like you know how they are gonna turn out which is baffling to me.....

Not every player "nfl matures at the same rate"

OG Miller.....played with a high ankle sprain for much of the year......and OL dont exactly light it up in their first year much less a 3rd round pick

Steward? Played behind Bradham......where is his playing time gonna come from.....I will say this regarding Steward.....who almost immediately got injured....in the few plays he got before that happened? He was around the ball on every play

5th round running back? If ALL he ever ends up being is a complementary running back to some starter...that is a great use of a pick

Nick O'Leary......who knows.....didnt get playing time till the end of the year.

Dez Lewis......he is a hight weight speed guy who might need some time to get it together.....but at that part of the draft you are basing it on potential

but.hey lets go back to the beginning of the draft.

Keep in mind that Sammy Watkins is also a part of this draft evaluation because the 1st round pick is given up to GET Sammy Watkins.....so that is your first round pick......so your draft is actually Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Miller, Karlos Williams as your first 4 picks

or

You could look at it like we had NO first round pick....but still managed to come up with a runner up rookie defensive player of the year.....a starting OL.....and a very productive big physical back in the first 4 rounds of the draft

That is a excellent draft no matter how you look at it....no GM is gonna hit ever pick.....and not all players are gonna hit their ceilings immediately

Edited by John from Hemet

Teams also involve coaching, so let's not put the blame on a failed 2015 campaign squarely on the roster. Some aspects of our game improved, while others regressed, which was unfortunate but it's on to next year.

However, I mostly want to point out that virtually no team can build a whole roster of starters from drafting alone. Teams miss in all rounds through no real fault of their own. You can pretty much never count on a day 3 selection to be a long term answer to any need your team has. It is always a blessing if that happens. Whaley had a high grade on kujo and wisely added insurance with the Henderson pick. They both could have turned out better, but you can't blame Whaley for poor drafting there. Who else could he have gotten at the time that would have changed everything for us? As for Miller, give him another year.

I can't rant about every pick, I'm just saying teams probably hit on about half of their picks and they can't keep every one of them forever. And really, the only teams that can mask roster holes have stellar coaches and/or QBs.

but your digging on players like you know how they are gonna turn out which is baffling to me.....

Not every player "nfl matures at the same rate"

OG Miller.....played with a high ankle sprain for much of the year......and OL dont exactly light it up in their first year much less a 3rd round pick

Steward? Played behind Bradham......where is his playing time gonna come from.....I will say this regarding Steward.....who almost immediately got injured....in the few plays he got before that happened? He was around the ball on every play

5th round running back? If ALL he ever ends up being is a complementary running back to some starter...that is a great use of a pick

Nick O'Leary......who knows.....didnt get playing time till the end of the year.

Dez Lewis......he is a hight weight speed guy who might need some time to get it together.....but at that part of the draft you are basing it on potential

but.hey lets go back to the beginning of the draft.

Keep in mind that Sammy Watkins is also a part of this draft evaluation because the 1st round pick is given up to GET Sammy Watkins.....so that is your first round pick......so your draft is actually Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Miller, Karlos Williams as your first 4 picks

or

You could look at it like we had NO first round pick....but still managed to come up with a rookie defensive player of the year.....a starting OL.....and a very productive big physical back in the first 4 rounds of the draft

That is a excellent draft no matter how you look at it....no GM is gonna hit ever pick.....and not all players are gonna hit their ceilings immediately

As a GM you think they get credit for two years when they invest two first rounders in one player? Hrm...

If someone is saying Whaley hit it Large in 2015 then in all fairness we can only judge the on field productivity in 2015. We can't speculate or project based on.....??? Loving the Buffalo Bills? Darby was a hit, he wasn't the Defensive ROy either. Williams is a weird guy to judge because his style is so blatantly bad for a RB. Such a talent kid but as we saw last year it's going to be tough sledding each and every week for him to see the field.

The only time John Miller looked good was in OTA's when we all got fed that he was going to be the starting right guard. After that things spiraled downward and were compounded by the injury. Let's see 2016. Again...not a player you would declare a success...in all fairness.

It's to early to give the 2015 draft a fair evaluation but if your going to attempt to do so you need to be unbiased. Darby looks good, Sammy wasn't drafted in 2015, and the rest of the draft looks underwhelming or so limited that they need further time to be given a fair e v a l. I'd suggest looking at draft history through out the NFL and look at some of the great drafts teams have had.

Is Whaley better then Marv Levy? Yep. Is he good enough to win with? Not yet.

Teams also involve coaching, so let's not put the blame on a failed 2015 campaign squarely on the roster. Some aspects of our game improved, while others regressed, which was unfortunate but it's on to next year.

However, I mostly want to point out that virtually no team can build a whole roster of starters from drafting alone. Teams miss in all rounds through no real fault of their own. You can pretty much never count on a day 3 selection to be a long term answer to any need your team has. It is always a blessing if that happens. Whaley had a high grade on kujo and wisely added insurance with the Henderson pick. They both could have turned out better, but you can't blame Whaley for poor drafting there. Who else could he have gotten at the time that would have changed everything for us? As for Miller, give him another year.

I can't rant about every pick, I'm just saying teams probably hit on about half of their picks and they can't keep every one of them forever. And really, the only teams that can mask roster holes have stellar coaches and/or QBs.

Right and no one is saying that a GM is going to hit on every pick. Some years will be better than others, as I said on my last retort if you look at draft history you will see some gems from GM's you never considered good. I'm only responding to the Whaley comments because to often we judge him against out past failures and not against our current competition.

You don't need to be better than Marv Levy, you need to be better than every other GM currently making the playoffs.

Darby is a stud. Could be better then Gilmore in two years.

Here's how I would evaluate Miller. 3rd round pick, good potential, started right away, played banged up. Should do nothing but grow from here. Jump from year 1 to 2 should be big, jump from year 2 to 3 should be very big. Guy is supposed to be very intelligent football wise which is key for OL.

Karlos will continue to roll or be out of the league due to concussions real soon.

Leary looks like a waste, he has to show up this spring. Grampa Jack ain't gonna help much from here on out.

Jury is out on the rest.

Rate A draft, better than usual.

Edited by jumbalaya

As a GM you think they get credit for two years when they invest two first rounders in one player? Hrm...

Depends on the player......lets keep in mind that in the latter part of the year Sammy Watkins looked every bit the hype that he came with in the year he was drafted....he was one of the BEST wide receivers in the NFL down the stretch of last year's season.

If someone is saying Whaley hit it Large in 2015 then in all fairness we can only judge the on field productivity in 2015. We can't speculate or project based on.....??? Loving the Buffalo Bills? Darby was a hit, he wasn't the Defensive ROy either. Williams is a weird guy to judge because his style is so blatantly bad for a RB. Such a talent kid but as we saw last year it's going to be tough sledding each and every week for him to see the field.

I think it is a little early to say a GM "hit it large" only after one season of that particular draft.....you have to give a little bit of time to evaluate and see what players hit their ceilings and what drop off before that determination is made. However.....signs do look good when you pull out starters and strong contributing players in the first year.

The only time John Miller looked good was in OTA's when we all got fed that he was going to be the starting right guard. After that things spiraled downward and were compounded by the injury. Let's see 2016. Again...not a player you would declare a success...in all fairness.

That is a matter of opinion (one of which I do not share) Miller's play was inconsistant....he showed some very nice things and he showed he had work to do in pass protection.....and like I said. Some positions in the NFL its really hard to determine in that first year. OT's get drafted in the 1st round and early and look like straight crap in their first years....nobody calls them busts.

It's to early to give the 2015 draft a fair evaluation but if your going to attempt to do so you need to be unbiased. Darby looks good, Sammy wasn't drafted in 2015, and the rest of the draft looks underwhelming or so limited that they need further time to be given a fair e v a l. I'd suggest looking at draft history through out the NFL and look at some of the great drafts teams have had.

If you want to tell people to be fair and unbiased then YOU should be fair and unbiased. There are players in your evaluation that very well could look outstanding this year or even next and that has to be factored into a draft evaluation. It IS showing bias to denounce a player in their rookie season.

Whaley has his warts but overall he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best GM this franchise has ever had.

Depends on the player......lets keep in mind that in the latter part of the year Sammy Watkins looked every bit the hype that he came with in the year he was drafted....he was one of the BEST wide receivers in the NFL down the stretch of last year's season.

I think it is a little early to say a GM "hit it large" only after one season of that particular draft.....you have to give a little bit of time to evaluate and see what players hit their ceilings and what drop off before that determination is made. However.....signs do look good when you pull out starters and strong contributing players in the first year.

That is a matter of opinion (one of which I do not share) Miller's play was inconsistant....he showed some very nice things and he showed he had work to do in pass protection.....and like I said. Some positions in the NFL its really hard to determine in that first year. OT's get drafted in the 1st round and early and look like straight crap in their first years....nobody calls them busts.

If you want to tell people to be fair and unbiased then YOU should be fair and unbiased. There are players in your evaluation that very well could look outstanding this year or even next and that has to be factored into a draft evaluation. It IS showing bias to denounce a player in their rookie season.

Whaley has his warts but overall he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best GM this franchise has ever had.

I bow out. Your not interested in having a productive conversation your just here wielding a Buffalo Shield and swinging it around aimlessly.

Darby is a stud. Could be better then Gilmore in two years.

Here's how I would evaluate Miller. 3rd round pick, good potential, started right away, played banged up. Should do nothing but grow from here. Jump from year 1 to 2 should be big, jump from year 2 to 3 should be very big. Guy is supposed to be very intelligent football wise which is key for OL.

Karlos will continue to roll or be out of the league due to concussions real soon.

Leary looks like a waste, he has to show up this spring. Grampa Jack ain't gonna help much from here on out.

Jury is out on the rest.

Rate A draft, better than usual.

I hope Darby maintains but that is a lot to ask. I am very hopeful on Miller and think he'll be fine. I share both your hopes and concerns on Karlos.

I hope Darby maintains but that is a lot to ask. I am very hopeful on Miller and think he'll be fine. I share both your hopes and concerns on Karlos.

Darby looks to be the real deal, if he improves his game and can carry his play through 16 games he very well may be our best corner in 16'. It looked like he hit a wall late in the season last year and that is expected

Cuz your wrong....you dont give final evaluations on rookie players

Wow John, is your reading comprehension a problem for you? I specifically stated that any poster touting the 15' draft as coming up Large could only base their evaluations on what we have seen at the pro level. I then went on to say that one year was not nearly enough to judge a draft or individual talent, again if your going to do so you can only do it on what we have seen. I love Darby he could flame out. Who knows? Right? The rest of the draft was mild and littered with injuries...that's not even disputable.

On that basis alone you would be at fault for declaring 15' a success or an absolute failure. Which I did neither. If your not going to read and take things as written do not go regurgitating your view points.

Wow John, is your reading comprehension a problem for you? I specifically stated that any poster touting the 15' draft as coming up Large could only base their evaluations on what we have seen at the pro level. I then went on to say that one year was not nearly enough to judge a draft or individual talent, again if your going to do so you can only do it on what we have seen. I love Darby he could flame out. Who knows? Right? The rest of the draft was mild and littered with injuries...that's not even disputable.

Could you please explain what you mean by "mild".......is "mild" a evaluation of a player in that draft?

On that basis alone you would be at fault for declaring 15' a success or an absolute failure. Which I did neither. If your not going to read and take things as written do not go regurgitating your view points.

Im reading what you are writing? Should I go up and pull down your initial evaluations? Since you think I am not reading what you are writing lets pull your words in.

"Karlos Williams who looks like he is going to be severely limited in the availability column. He runs straight up and get trashed on anytime he takes contact."

hmmmmm.....that sure sounds like you are making a 1st year evaluation of that player because he had some injuries in his ROOKIE year......lets forget that the guy is a friggen Touchdown machine and a flat out beast. Lets lets also not mention the fact that this is a player that just recently did a POSITION SWITCH from defense to offense so the potential of this player to get better is there also.....but hey you know ROOKIE evaluation and all.

hmmmmmmmmm ok lets put Steward and O'Leary to the side (and I agree with you about continuing to draft and improve the team by going BPA....but ALL teams do that....so that is not something that should be put on Whaley as a negative) and lets talk about your comments on Miller. You say that Whaley hasnt drafted a starting caliber offensive linemen......Miller did in fact start on a offense line that was the NUMBER ONE RUSHING TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.....guess who gets some credit for that? MILLER....guess who drafted him.....WHALEY

I'm not going to trash on Whaley but 2016 is make or break for a him. He has found talent but is still yet to form a TEAM worthy of anything above mediocrity.

Guess what else goes into forming a team? COACHING. It is Whaley's job to find the talent.......El Pegula hired his own coaches.

Last season we were all excited about how deep and talented we were...only Ryan Fitzpatrick stood between us and 6-10. Talent alone doesn't win in the NFL, talented TEAMS win in the NFL.

See above.....are we blaming Rex on Whaley? Is that the next thing that is happening? And who gets the credit for your feeling of how deep and talented we were going into last season? Does Whaley get that credit since he had the previous draft and offseason?

You should read what you are writing.....christ what a spin job

Edited by John from Hemet

"Whaley has his warts but overall he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best GM this franchise has ever had."

You might be right but being a good GM of the Bills is not a high bar to reach.

1960-66: Dick Gallagher (multiple Championships, left to be a scout with the 49ers for 1 year then became Director of the HoF. It's odd that he also left when Saban left.)

1967-78: Bob Lustig (hot mess of a train wreck)

1979-82: Stew Barber (team was decent, HORRIBLE drafting and contract negotiations)

1983: Pat McGroder (let Chuck Knox walk, failed to sign Jim Kelly, hired Kay Stephenson)

1984-85: Terry Bledsoe (awful teams, hired Hank Bullough, had a heart attack in February of 85 which cleared the way for his successor to draft in 85)

1985-92: Bill Polian (explanation not needed)

1993-2000: John Butler (decent teams, hit and miss drafting, terrible cap management, traded the #9 pick for Rob Johnson)

2001-05: Tom Donohoe (hired Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey, drafted Mike Williams, JP Losman and an injured Willis McGahee)

2006-07 Marv Levy (let us not speak of this)

2008-09 Russ Brandon (it's hard to win in the NFL)

2010-12 Buddy Nix (it's still hard to win in the NFL)

2013-current Doug Whaley

So it's not too far fetched to say

Polian

Gallagher

Butler

Whaley

"Whaley has his warts but overall he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best GM this franchise has ever had."

You might be right but being a good GM of the Bills is not a high bar to reach.

1960-66: Dick Gallagher (multiple Championships, left to be a scout with the 49ers for 1 year then became Director of the HoF. It's odd that he also left when Saban left.)

1967-78: Bob Lustig (hot mess of a train wreck)

1979-82: Stew Barber (team was decent, HORRIBLE drafting and contract negotiations)

1983: Pat McGroder (let Chuck Knox walk, failed to sign Jim Kelly, hired Kay Stephenson)

1984-85: Terry Bledsoe (awful teams, hired Hank Bullough, had a heart attack in February of 85 which cleared the way for his successor to draft in 85)

1985-92: Bill Polian (explanation not needed)

1993-2000: John Butler (decent teams, hit and miss drafting, terrible cap management, traded the #9 pick for Rob Johnson)

2001-05: Tom Donohoe (hired Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey, drafted Mike Williams, JP Losman and an injured Willis McGahee)

2006-07 Marv Levy (let us not speak of this)

2008-09 Russ Brandon (it's hard to win in the NFL)

2010-12 Buddy Nix (it's still hard to win in the NFL)

2013-current Doug Whaley

So it's not too far fetched to say

Polian

Gallagher

Butler

Whaley

Your going back a bit pulling the Gallagher.....but yeah.....I think that is a fair ranking.

Its amazing what having a great QB can do for the the overall success of your organization right? Polian and Butler got to have Jim Kelly through those years (not that they didnt do a great job surrounding him with talent)

Dude, why is it Rex is responsible for the Incognito signing, but Whaley is on the hook for everything else? Whaley is the GM. Whaley chooses the players. Rex coaches the players. Whaley and Rex are on the same page, so Whaley gets what makes sense for Rex.

Miller wasn't all bad. Forgive the 3rd round pick for not being All Pro after one year. Steward was hurt a lot. O'Leary was sixth round pick. It's nice if they contribute at any point, let alone their first season. Lets see how they look this off-season/season before we pass judgment.

Every GM in the league is hit and miss drafting. Every team has multiple draft picks that don't work out. The Bills are just one of 32.

I share John's view on John Miller. I know he had a bad PFF grade and all that - but go back and watch the first half of the season and his work in the run game is impressive. He struggled with that more as the season wore on - the injury probably played a part - and he had his struggles all season in pass protection. But he was a serviceable NFL guard as a rookie when healthy in my opinion.

Players should properly be judged after their 3rd year - if Miller is still playing at the same level by then he will qualify as a bad pick, but to try and make that argument even basing it on his 2015 play at this stage is wrong in my opinion.

wow..... I would take the time to delete this response and post what flavor of urinal cake you would prefer to eat.....