Liberal Protests

B-Man

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...shocking that Arkansas' pant suited feral hog weighs in with the solutions......Ms Irrelevant reveals that old losing wounds never heal......

Clinton calls Trump 'failure' in blistering interview, questions how anyone 'with a beating heart and a working mind' supports him

By Ronn Blitzer 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Vast majority of protests are peaceful, stop trying to make it seem different. 

A greater majority of cops are doing fantastic jobs but for some reason the protesters chant “***** the police!” and want them all to lose their jobs.  Ohhh the irony. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How many protesters does it take to "pack" Washington D.C.?

According to The Washington Post, the city is "packed" when there are "more than 10,000."

Screen%2BShot%2B2020-06-07%2Bat%2B7.15.35%2BAM.png

That's the WaPo headline as displayed at Memeorandum. The headline is no longer written like that. Now, it is "'Defund The Police' painted on D.C. street as tensions among protesters flare."

Now, my question is: How bad did it get for WaPo to write "tensions... flare"?

More than 10,000 people poured into the nation’s capital on the ninth day of protests over police brutality.... The cause even led to flares of tension among Washington’s protesters, with some embracing a party atmosphere while others furiously spray-painted “Defund The Police” in giant yellow letters a block from the city’s “Black Lives Matter” display....

So there was some graffiti. What else?

Turns out it was just a few protesters who were irked that others weren't acting angry:

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...blurred vision from under your rock?.....peaceful murders of cops?....292 NYC cops injured?......molotov cocktails, bricks strategically deployed for "convenience"?....and you crave legitimacy?.....sometimes ignorance should NOT be advertised.......

Vast majority peaceful. 

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Local people have trouble dealing with issues that a higher level of government can look at more distantly and less I passionately. A great example of this Niagara Falls where it took the federal government coming in a dealing with organized crime that had crippled the local economy and the local police and courts were too scared or not powerful enough to stop. There was a 75% mark up in all construction projects, so no wonder the Canadian side looked so much better until the Feds came in. I remember one of the reporters getting attacked by a mobsters thug reporting on that, right in broad daylight. These local racist cliques are not at all that much different 

I won't disagree that there is a place for the intervention / assistance at the federal level. We have seen it from civil rights to organized crime. I do not have a problem with it. Like I said, as long as it is doesn't lend itself to further injustice in its application.

Just as an example, there came a time in this country when black communities across the country were being devastated by crack cocaine and associated crime. The federal government stepped in with the ability to deal with it in a way the local communities could not. One of the byproducts of that effort was the institution of sentencing guidelines to draw a distinction between crack cocaine and powder cocaine. The intent was to increase minimum mandatory sentencing for crack cocaine as a deterrent. It truly was done with good intentions because black communities were literally being destroyed by the sale and use of crack cocaine, as well as the violent crime associated with it.

What happened is that an entire generation of young black men were locked up for disproportionate lengths of time for crack cocaine than for similar offenses involving powder cocaine. Young black men were routinely being sentenced to 5 - 20 years for non-violent offenses involving relatively small amounts of crack cocaine (in relation to the sentencing).

All I am saying is that I do not oppose any bill that seeks to  help/assist local communities or address injustices in the system. We should just try our best to shape it as specifically as possible to avoid further injustice.

Edited by billsfan1959

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I won't disagree that there is a place for the intervention / assistance at the federal level. We have seen it from civil rights to organized crime. I do not have a problem with it. Like I said, as long as it is doesn't lend itself to further injustice in its application.

Just as an example, there came a time in this country when black communities across the country were being devastated by crack cocaine and associated crime. The federal government stepped in with the ability to deal with it in a way the local communities could not. One of the byproducts of that effort was the institution of sentencing guidelines to draw a distinction between crack cocaine and powder cocaine. The intent was to increase minimum mandatory sentencing for crack cocaine as a deterrent. It truly was done with good intentions because black communities were literally being destroyed by the sale and use of crack cocaine, as well as the violent crime associated with it.

What happened is that an entire generation of young black men were locked up for disproportionate lengths of time for crack cocaine than for similar offenses involving powder cocaine. Young black men were routinely being sentenced to 5 - 20 years for non-violent offenses involving relatively small amounts of crack cocaine (in relation to the sentencing).

All I am saying is that I do not oppose any bill that seeks to  help/assist local communities or address injustices in the system. We should just try our best to shape it as specifically as possible to avoid further injustice.

I never understood why the penalty for crack versus powdered cocaine was harsher.  Using cocaine period should have had the same penalty.

13 minutes ago, BillStime said:

God bless America - or what’s left of it.

Happy Trump voters?

You installing sky high fencing around your compound too?

image.thumb.jpeg.0b2a739d2c98ec5f30ea2c3f3ef596d0.jpeg

....see that they don't empty the septic tank on weekends.......you filled it.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 minutes ago, BillStime said:

80% of Americans say the country is out of control.  That is a remarkable statement.

Americans Are More Troubled by Police Actions in Killing of George Floyd Than by Violence at Protests, Poll Finds

Thanks Trumpholes!!

If you say so @Deranged Rhino

After a week of criminals destroying cities and Dem governors and mayors did nothing about it, people think that the country is out of control?  Amazing.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

After a week of criminals destroying cities and Dem governors and mayors did nothing about it, people think that the country is out of control?  Amazing.

Cause and effect - but I understand you don’t have the ability to think holistically. 

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I never understood why the penalty for crack versus powdered cocaine was harsher.  Using cocaine period should have had the same penalty.

Agree. I understood the reasoning behind it. Crack cocaine may be the single greatest factor in the rise of crime rates in black communities across the country, not just in urban areas. People were looking for solutions in any way they could find them. Unfortunately, the result at the federal level was a complete disaster for young black men and relations between law enforcement and black communities.

Here is something you won't hear: There was such a disparity in the sentencing that law enforcement officers were routinely witholding information from the courts (in regard to relevant conduct) just to keep the sentences of some offenders as low as they could within the guidelines.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

Cause and effect - but I understand you don’t have the ability to think holistically. 

Weak response from a weak mind.  George Floyd's murder, while terrible, didn't justify the criminal behavior, especially after Chauvin was arrested and charged. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. I understood the reasoning behind it. Crack cocaine may be the single greatest factor in the rise of crime rates in black communities across the country, not just in urban areas. People were looking for solutions in any way they could find them. Unfortunately, the result at the federal level was a complete disaster for young black men and relations between law enforcement and black communities.

Here is something you won't hear: There was such a disparity in the sentencing that law enforcement officers were routinely witholding information from the courts (in regard to relevant conduct) just to keep the sentences of some offenders as low as they could within the guidelines.

I agree about crack cocaine, but they should have increased the penalty for powder cocaine as well.  By not doing so, they make it appear racist, or at the very least, classist.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

because the war on drugs, while well intentioned, was in hindsight a major major ***** up

• Like (+1) 1