Here's some sportsmanship for ya

http://nypost.com/2016/03/18/how-cbs-channeled-greedy-mets-in-selection-show-disaster/

'Hey, congratulations to Thomas Jefferson (Brooklyn) High School boys JV coach Sheldon Jefferson, for his team’s home playoff win over Erasmus Hall, Tuesday.
Under Coach Jefferson’s guidance his kids won, 165-56. In the third quarter (they play eight-minute quarters in high school), Jefferson High, which led 69-19 at the half, pressed and kept its starters in, scoring 58 points to take a 127-36 lead, then held on to win by 109.
Of Jefferson’s 11 roster players, six combined to score 150 of the 165 points.'

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things just don't need to be codified. It is pretty obvious who's gping to win, just keep the clock rolling.

Rules are the rules despite the score. However, coach Jefferson should have kept it classy and rotated the bench in the second half. I'm with dib on that Karma thing....

Then why continue to play? Teach these kids how to give up and just tuck the tail between their legs... You're right

Stop it. You mentioned rules above? Leagues should think about CHANGING rules that don't make sense. Then you mention teaching. What do you suppose the winning team learned? What did the losing team learn? Does sportsmanship have no place in sport for you? As your son continues to grow would you like him to continue wrestling? What if when he's in HS he comes up against a much better wrestler than he is? What if instead of quickly ending the match he draws it out for all 3 periods? He's toying with your kid, getting takedowns and reverses at will. He's racking up the points and your kid is getting exhausted and humiliated. By the end of the 3rd he's looking like an abused dog. Head is hanging, he's physically and psychologically defeated, but the match continues with his opponent clowning the entire time. He's messing with your kid, he's slapping him in the face, he's slapping him in the ass. Finally it's over. What did your kid learn? What did you learn about your kid? And don't feed me that try harder crap, get pushed down but keep getting up BS. Your kid was abused. What did he learn today?

Stop it. You mentioned rules above? Leagues should think about CHANGING rules that don't make sense. Then you mention teaching. What do you suppose the winning team learned? What did the losing team learn? Does sportsmanship have no place in sport for you? As your son continues to grow would you like him to continue wrestling? What if when he's in HS he comes up against a much better wrestler than he is? What if instead of quickly ending the match he draws it out for all 3 periods? He's toying with your kid, getting takedowns and reverses at will. He's racking up the points and your kid is getting exhausted and humiliated. By the end of the 3rd he's looking like an abused dog. Head is hanging, he's physically and psychologically defeated, but the match continues with his opponent clowning the entire time. He's messing with your kid, he's slapping him in the face, he's slapping him in the ass. Finally it's over. What did your kid learn? What did you learn about your kid? And don't feed me that try harder crap, get pushed down but keep getting up BS. Your kid was abused. What did he learn today?

In high school and even in college I'm not against mercy rules because sometimes there is such an imbalance that it is pointless to continue. But if there are no such rules then there are lessons that can be learned by the losers and the winners. What the losers learn in such an overwhelming loss is that it isn't so devastating and debilitating that it will affect you the next day. You learn that you do survive the drubbing and that you can go on. Whether you lose or win you go on and continue to prepare in the same diligent way for the next game. The world doesn't come to a humiliating end when you lose in such a way. After the drubbing you aren't forever tarnished. A loss is a loss and tomorrow is tomorrow. Being resilient is a lesson to be learned.

For those participants who are on the dominant side there is also lesson to be learned. Just because you beat an inferior opponent that doesn't mean that you will not get your assesss whipped by someone else when you are not in such a dominant position. In life sometimes you are in a strong position and sometimes you are not. In life there are times when you are high and there are times when you are low. How you deal with the aftermath is very often more important than what happened at the memorable event.

Because it isn't in the rule book to do that

It's a state by state option for a "mercy" rule - Florida has it for 2nd half and a lead of 35+. No shot clock in most states for High School.

Despicable behavior by the winning coach - he should be fired.

Edited by Florida_BillsFan

Stay down Luke... Stay down Luke... STAY DOWN!

Rules are the rules despite the score. However, coach Jefferson should have kept it classy and rotated the bench in the second half. I'm with dib on that Karma thing....

Simply keeping a live clock is not the end of the world.

In HS lacrosse the clock keeps running once a team is ahead by 12 goals. I think it's a good thing.

Last season we were playing a prep school team that was far more talented that us. With about 30 seconds left in the game, up 22 goals, the opposing coach called time out so his goalie could get an offensive stick and try to score a goal. The kid won the face off, carried the ball right down the middle of the field, and stuck a goal right in the top corner with about 5 seconds left. Insult to injury.

It took a great deal of restraint to keep me from punching this coach in the face, and the turd had the colossal stones to tell me I had "no class" for refusing to shake his hand after the game.

Someone CLEARLY is grumpy once again.... If there is a mercy rule in place, great, honor it... If there isn't, continue to play by the rules. When we were young, if you got humiliated, it gave (most of) us the drive to become better and compete harder, we aren't all meant to be champions... What exactly do children learn about drive and determination when they become outmatched and the rules say to call the game or speed it up, so it's okay to quit if some authority deems you become outmatched??? I value your opinion, but don't think you really hit your own point, if you want us to start raising a generation of kitties, then we can change all these rules so little Johnny never learns to experience adversity, drive or determination....

I will also say, if my son was clowning someone, I would use that as a time to teach him respect, humbleness, and humility... There are lessons to

Be learned all around us, or we could just change the rules so our kids never have to experience that.... Well until they hit the real world and have to call their great grandfather to learn how to deal with real life

quick, lower the bar so everyone can get over it! instead of shooting free throws after a foul the player should be given a hug and one point for being hurt.

tough it up, play the game or don't do either.

pussification of uhmerika.

quick, lower the bar so everyone can get over it! instead of shooting free throws after a foul the player should be given a hug and one point for being hurt.

tough it up, play the game or don't do either.

pussification of uhmerika.

I am not saying that... Just speed the game up an put them out of their misery.

It is obvious when a certain will win, what's the point of dragging it out.

It has nothing to do w/lowering the bar and everything w/raising the bar!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois