NFL Rule Changes Coming in 2016

@RapSheet

Competition Committee will meet next week & vote on several new rules adjustments at the league meetings. A look at some key changes coming…

Comp. Committee expected to pass a rule making ejections automatic after 2 personal fouls. Must decide which penalties (fewer than 5) apply

Comp. Committee will tweak language on the chop block rule & the horse collar rule (i.e. grabbing the back of a nameplate) for added safety

Teams will submit proposals, but there isn't expected to be much change to what plays are reviewable. Too many unintended consequences

Finally, the catch rule won't change, either, which was expected. But the public education of the catch rule & how its officiated continues

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is too long, due to too many rules.

They should pare them down, not make them harder to understand and interpret.

Larry Fitzgerald subscribes to KISS: Keep it simple, stupid.

But Cardinals wideout Larry Fitzgerald wants to change that. In an interview with TheMMQB.com, the future Hall of Famer aims to simplify something that has become unwieldy and convoluted.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@RapSheet

Competition Committee will meet next week & vote on several new rules adjustments at the league meetings. A look at some key changes coming…

Comp. Committee expected to pass a rule making ejections automatic after 2 personal fouls. Must decide which penalties (fewer than 5) apply

Comp. Committee will tweak language on the chop block rule & the horse collar rule (i.e. grabbing the back of a nameplate) for added safety

Teams will submit proposals, but there isn't expected to be much change to what plays are reviewable. Too many unintended consequences

Finally, the catch rule won't change, either, which was expected. But the public education of the catch rule & how its officiated continues

If they are adding grabbing the name on the jersey and pulling down, that rule just got more ridiculous. Leave it alone--you put your hand inside the collar and pull, you get a flag. Everything else is ok. Simple.

@JohnKryk

#Bills propose 1 of 19 proposed @NFL rules changes: to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays & TOs.

The way the NFL does replays adds too much dead time to games. I don't understand why they can't do it like the NHL where an official in a central location looks at the replays, makes a decision and communicates with the game officials.

MLB is also ridiculous where the entire umpiring crew marches off somewhere to look at replays.

@viccarucci

#NFL proposing that if you are twice penalized for one of the following (throwing a punch, abusive language, taunting), you will be ejected.

#NFL reports there were 75 unsportsman-like conduct penalties in 2015, 25 above the average in previous 5 years.

After multiple times of modifying chop-block rule, #NFL wants to eliminate it from the game altogether.

After plenty of offseason discussion/review, #NFL won't change its controversial catch/no-catch rule.

#NFL believes that w 18,000 pass plays during a season, officials get catch/no-catch calls right most of the time..

I'm looking at you, Jerry Hughes.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah! No more patting teammates on the back or almost hitting a QB when he slides.

If they are adding grabbing the name on the jersey and pulling down, that rule just got more ridiculous. Leave it alone--you put your hand inside the collar and pull, you get a flag. Everything else is ok. Simple.

If they're going to keep the rule, might as well add the nameplate as well. Same mechanism of potential injury.

@JohnKryk

#Bills propose 1 of 19 proposed @NFL rules changes: to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays & TOs.

About time.

I really think the pass interference penalty is real joke. There should be two rules "intentional pass interference" at the spot of the foul like we have today and "pass interference" which is 15 yards and a first down. I hate games coming down to a referees whistle and too often PI is pretty minor with major ramifications.