DT Stefan Charles Signing 1 Year Deal with Detroit

Charles was a nice depth player but hardly critical. I am pretty sure they can replace his 48 tackles in three years with a younger, cheaper player who may still have some upside. The bills are doing what they said they would do and have not lost anyone yet they planned to keep, although Hogan does look as good as gone.

100% agree. This is the perfect year to add to their DL depth given the strength of this year's draft class at the position.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not hard to get more depth... Welcome to the NFL all teams lose players.

It's called the draft... Some people love to overreact.

The Draft is anything but a sure thing. You cant count on players to come in right away and play effectively. You'll get what maybe 2-3 players that will come in right away and make an "Impact"

I feel that Stefan Charles is our biggest loss so far this year. I really hope we don't loose Hogan - yes he had a down year last year but he was also playing with torn ligaments in his wrist. I feel keeping Hogan will also help with consistency and improvement/growth with our offense.

Good luck Charles and hope to have you back in 2017.

Whaley laid out the plan for free agency well before it began. Not sure what all of the hand wringing is about unless some people were not paying attention.

But I'm sick of all my old toys! I want a shiny new toy this year!!

Current projections have them with somewhere in the neighborhood of $50M in cap room in '17. They'll need it to accommodate possible long term deals with Taylor, Gilmore, and Glenn.

yep. need to draft 2 or 3 immediate players, get the ty powells of the world back and stay reasonably healthy to succeed this year. same as any other team. and hope the Williams' are nearly 100%. All that happens and I'm good. all the losses are depth players .. lots of cap was spent to bring in talent last year. the offense is still intact. that's what will determine their fate this year IMO. offense.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Right, so cut Kyle Williams next off-season, save another $7mm. Then cut Corey Graham next off-season, save another $5m. Now you are talking $60mm plus under the cap in 2017. Sign Glenn/Gilmore for next year with cap hits of $26mm. Then make decision on Taylor based on this season, if he plays well and they can't get a deal done, franchise him at $22mm. The Bills would still have $20mm plus when Free Agency opens next off-season, with those players signed. The only "big" FA for the Bills next year is Robert Woods.

So the Bills need to replace Williams, Graham and Woods and have 2 drafts and another FA period to do it. They could also just resign Woods, the money is there. With this draft being deep at the DT position, Williams replacement might happen this year.

so to you and the rest. Cutting starters before replacing them with at least servicble players works? On top of that, if we keep losing our servicible players and changes regimes we won't have that major buzz word. Continuity.

so to you and the rest. Cutting starters before replacing them with at least servicble players works? On top of that, if we keep losing our servicible players and changes regimes we won't have that major buzz word. Continuity.

Cutting starters before we replace them? Did you not see the part where I said they have 2 drafts and another FA period, on top of this one, to replace them? Or did you just ignore it.

Last year they did a ton. Can't do that every year. Why are people acting surprised?

Whaley laid out the plan for free agency well before it began. Not sure what all of the hand wringing is about unless some people were not paying attention.

Some people have agendas to push, ignoring facts only helps to push said agendas.

Cutting starters before we replace them? Did you not see the part where I said they have 2 drafts and another FA period, on top of this one, to replace them? Or did you just ignore it.

after draft number 2 the new coach doesn't need the players from the FA period and two previous drafts.

I think it was between Corbin Bryant and Stefan Charles. Bryant is the better player and better fit for the D. Charles was inactive for multiple games last year and better fits a 4-3. Not much sense commiting cap to a guy who can be upgraded at a cheaper cost and better fit.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Solid player, but the team needs a true NT on the roster. Not a ton of cap space to go out and get a player out on the market with significant demand. But there will likely be a veteran NT out on the market in the later stages of free agency that would better occupy a roster spot than Charles. Although I would have liked him on the roster he isn't a hard to replace guy.