Will the Bills make the playoffs this year?

Will they get in?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

If as now appears likely Incognito departs, the OL will be worse than last year, and there is little cap room to bring in quality free agents. But, more than anything else, Rex Ryan is the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. So, 7-9 or 8-8 is most likely, with the drought continuing. The only question is whether Rex gets yanked off the stage after another disappointing season. With that said, I HOPE I am completely off base and the team finally breaks through and we get to see the Bills in the post-season.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see this. Their starting QB, entire backfield and two or three of their defensive starters are free agents. They just lost a starting CB in Cro.

Their QB situation could be dire. Fitz put up Bradford numbers last year. Average quarterbacking got Cousins and Bradford 18 and 20 million a year. Even with the Eagles shifting most of the hit to next year, Bradford is still going to hit at 12 million. The Jets have 7 before rookies.

Unless they want to try their luck again at the free agent marketplace, and the likes of Hoyer their options are to try drafting a QB at 20, or going back to Geno.

So yeah, an overrated team, who we beat twice BTW, is likely to lose a good chunk of their veterans, have a tougher schedule and you think they're going to be bettet?

Yes, I love our double negative standard. The Bills had an "easy" schedule and went 8-8 so they'll be worse. The Jets had a much easier schedule and went 10-6, and they'll clearly be better. We also beat the Jets twice last year, once when they had everything on the line and we had nothing, but that was wholly Rex playing for revenge (so apparently he can coach well when he wants {shrug})

I'm in NYC, trust me, the attitude on 660 The Fan about the Jets is pretty much the same as it is for the Bills here.

First off, it's ridiculously early. But I'll partake. I picked them to be one game better. No reason to think the offense can't be better. They have one of the best running backs, one of the best wide receivers and quite possibly one of the very best offensive lines in football. As far as the defense is concerned, I am willing to give Rex one more year to see through this "scheme" I keep hearing about.

As far as the schedule, we get possibly the two worst teams in all of football, both at home. Save for the depleted Cowboys team, I'm not sure we got any real cupcakes like that last year. But agreed, assessing the schedule at this point is absurd.

Yeah, it is crazy to do this now. But I look at it like we beat one team with a winning record and their qb was a guy a lot of fans here couldn't wait to get rid of (I liked Fitz). We didn't one qb who was considered good.

We had some big plays on offense but we were 2nd worst in 3 and outs. 3 and outs hurt the defense. We went from a record setting pass rush to the 2nd worst in the NFL. And our coach struggles to hold players accountable. I don't see where we are better but that just my opinion.

That said, I'm always very optimistic so perhaps by me being the opposite way, good things are in store.

Yeah, it is crazy to do this now. But I look at it like we beat one team with a winning record and their qb was a guy a lot of fans here couldn't wait to get rid of (I liked Fitz). We didn't one qb who was considered good.

We had some big plays on offense but we were 2nd worst in 3 and outs. 3 and outs hurt the defense. We went from a record setting pass rush to the 2nd worst in the NFL. And our coach struggles to hold players accountable. I don't see where we are better but that just my opinion.

That said, I'm always very optimistic so perhaps by me being the opposite way, good things are in store.

Andrew Luck?

I am on record as saying that no I don't think they will. I did think they would last year and I thought they had a very good chance in 2014 too. I have said before that I think the schedule is harder.... let's see next December but I am 99.9% sure I will be proved right and our level of performance from the past season, particularly defensively could easily see us slip by more than a game or two record wise.

I have very little faith that we have the right Head Coach. I said it when he arrived and I stand by it. Bad hire and not a fit here. However, Rex is not a terrible football coach and I am going to trust him to make some improvement defensively that keeps us competitive on a tough slate.... Not play-off competitive though.... I think 8-8 would be a good year next year... 6-10, 7-9 more likely.

Yes, I love our double negative standard. The Bills had an "easy" schedule and went 8-8 so they'll be worse. The Jets had a much easier schedule and went 10-6, and they'll clearly be better. We also beat the Jets twice last year, once when they had everything on the line and we had nothing, but that was wholly Rex playing for revenge (so apparently he can coach well when he wants {shrug})

I'm in NYC, trust me, the attitude on 660 The Fan about the Jets is pretty much the same as it is for the Bills here.

Great post. As I have noted before, the Bills' schedule turned out to be the 4th hardest in the AFC and their strength of victory was 5th highest in the AFC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

But people hate facts and will say, "well that's only because..." when every team has their "only because's." Best example being "well Taylor put up garbage time numbers." Really? He threw 2 TD's in garbage time all season (against WAS). Every QB puts up garbage time numbers. You would think on a website dedicated to the Buffalo Bills that people would spin numbers and such in a positive direction but it's almost always the opposite round these parts.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Andrew Luck?

Fair but this wasn't the Luck everyone was used to. But that was a good qb so point taken.

Great post. As I have noted before, the Bills' schedule turned out to be the 4th hardest in the AFC and their strength of victory was 5th highest in the AFC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

But people hate facts and will say, "well that's only because..." when every team has their "only because's." Best example being "well Taylor put up garbage time numbers." Really? He threw 2 TD's in garbage time all season (against WAS). Every QB puts up garbage time numbers. You would think on a website dedicated to the Buffalo Bills that people would spin numbers and such in a positive direction but it's almost always the opposite round these parts.

I see a little double standard here though. EJ was huge reason for our hole against the Jags but he did bring us back and you give him no credit. Against the Pats, did you honestly believe we were going to win?

Fair but this wasn't the Luck everyone was used to. But that was a good qb so point taken.

I see a little double standard here though. EJ was huge reason for our hole against the Jags but he did bring us back and you give him no credit. Against the Pats, did you honestly believe we were going to win?

EJ played well in the second half against Jacksonville. I've never said anything to the contrary.

As far as the first New England game, we had the ball within a score with a reasonable amount of time on the clock at the end of the game. Again, it's not like every TD that, I don't know, Ben Roethlisberger threw all season was when game was within 7 points. It all evens out. The Bills were undoubtedly involved in less garbage time situations than most teams.

^^^ This. Last year we played a piss poor NFC East and couldn't make the playoffs.

Fact: the Bills finished with the 4th hardest schedule in the AFC last season. Can we please stop with this idea that the schedule is going to be our ultimate demise? If the Bills get their own s**t together on defense they will be just fine.

NO

schedule is much harder

7-9

to make it that much sweeter...

^^^ This. Last year we played a piss poor NFC East and couldn't make the playoffs.

last year was extended preseason.... learning curve, baby

Rex really took the sail out of our wind. Now we have to wait for him and Rob to build there type of D

the players just have to do what they are f ing told.. buy in. Ed Reed will take care of that on the back end. Can't wait for the first Ed Reed chew out of a d-back (or anyone) who screws up the execution of Rex defense. can't wait..

get a grip people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Fact: the Bills finished with the 4th hardest schedule in the AFC last season. Can we please stop with this idea that the schedule is going to be our ultimate demise? If the Bills get their own s**t together on defense they will be just fine.

Who thunk a team would struggle with completely new Coaching staff, a 3 way battle at QB all preseason and the " rookie " wins it. New RB, new guards, new TE etc etc etc

Fact they beat a combination of 2 games between Jacksonville, Philadelphia, and Kansas City they are a playoff team despite the poor performance of the defense.

Edited by K-Apps

2015 (wins in parenthesis)

bills 2015 opponents AFC SOUTH (25) NFC EAST (26) = total 51 wins

bills 2016 opponemts AFC NORTH (30) NFC WEST (35) = total 65 wins

Edited by papazoid

2015 (wins in parenthesis)

bills 2015 opponents AFC SOUTH (25) NFC EAST (26) = total 51 wins

bills 2016 opponemts AFC NORTH (30) NFC WEST (35) = total 65 wins

I've already pointed this out to Metz. Our schedule ended up ranking high on paper because we were in a division with two double digit win teams. But our problem hasn't been in the division the past 3 years..... 3-3, 4-2, 4-2.... our problem has been beating teams outside our division and the out of division games in 2016 are as of now looking harder than the 2015 games. If I am wrong about that come the end of the season I will happily eat crow. I expect the whole AFC East, even New England to end up 1 or 2 games worse than last year with the possible exception of Miami who might scrape to 6-10ish again.