Jim Kelly: 'The U is going to be back' under Mark Richt

Punching Bag

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25493076/miami-legend-jim-kelly-the-u-is-going-to-be-back-under-mark-richt

“You want quality, character people and Mark Richt is going to be that," said Kelly. "He's all about that. You have to have guys that can play too. I think it's going to take a little bit of time. It's not going to happen overnight, but once he has his influence on this program, and people start to realize the U is going to be back, I can't wait. I'm excited for him.”

Kelly knows Richt well as the two played together from 1979-82 with Richt serving as a reserve quarterback behind Kelly. Not only does Kelly think that Richt can revitalize the Miami program that has been mired in mediocrity recently, he also hopes Richt can once again make Miami "Quarterback U."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's doing "ok" in recruiting so far but gotta' get more 4 and 5 stars.

Tough sell with a crappy off-campus stadium in a pro town and modest football facilities..........but there is enough 4 and 5 star talent within an hours drive of Coral Gables to make a playoff system little more than a formality for an annual U coronation. :thumbsup:

There is no reason the U can't get back to the elite standards. Yes their off campus stadium sucks but there is so much talent in the state of Florida & Richt is a dam good coach. I guess winning 10-11 games every year playing in the toughest conference in the land wasn't good enough for Bulldog fans. They will regret the day they booted Richt out of Athens. Big mistake imo.

He's doing "ok" in recruiting so far but gotta' get more 4 and 5 stars.

Tough sell with a crappy off-campus stadium in a pro town and modest football facilities..........but there is enough 4 and 5 star talent within an hours drive of Coral Gables to make a playoff system little more than a formality for an annual U coronation. :thumbsup:

I don't think Miami is a pro town. Miami a fair weather town & will root for whoever is on top. That used to be the U.

Edited by Gordio

There is no reason the U can't get back to the elite standards. Yes their off campus stadium sucks but there is so much talent in the state of Florida & Richt is a dam good coach. I guess winning 10-11 games every year playing in the toughest conference in the land wasn't good enough for Bulldog fans. They will regret the day they booted Richt out of Athens. Big mistake imo.

I don't think Miami is a pro town. Miami a fair weather town & will root for whoever is on top. That used to be the U.

I know every other team in the SEC east is regretting it.

As a season ticket holder of the U, I hope he is correct.

Mark Richt seems like a great guy and coach and seems to be the right person at the right time. There are so many elite HS football players in South Florida. If Richt can keep the elite players, the U should be fine.

I suppose it would be fun to really hate them again. Hating Alabama just isn't the same.

Exactly, I just can't muster the same amount of vitriol for Alabama as I can for Miami. And there were so many reasons to hate them to begin with.

Nothing but "the U" comes to mind when speaking of "quality, character people"

:lol: Nobody wore the black hat better than the 80s and 90s 'Canes. It's interesting now to go back and look at the narrative painted for the PSU/Miami Fiesta Bowl. The squeaky clean, unblemished, do it the right way Lions versus the thuggy, urban, bad guy Hurricanes. Just goes to demonstrate the cliche' "You think you know, but you have no idea."

I wouldn't mind seeing them at least make a ripple in the NCAA football waters, I just don't want them winning championships again and all of the "die-hard" fans coming out of the woodwork donning their 2LiveCrew inspired Canes gear talking about, "I've been here the whole time."

Exactly, I just can't muster the same amount of vitriol for Alabama as I can for Miami. And there were so many reasons to hate them to begin with.

:lol: Nobody wore the black hat better than the 80s and 90s 'Canes. It's interesting now to go back and look at the narrative painted for the PSU/Miami Fiesta Bowl. The squeaky clean, unblemished, do it the right way Lions versus the thuggy, urban, bad guy Hurricanes. Just goes to demonstrate the cliche' "You think you know, but you have no idea."

I wouldn't mind seeing them at least make a ripple in the NCAA football waters, I just don't want them winning championships again and all of the "die-hard" fans coming out of the woodwork donning their 2LiveCrew inspired Canes gear talking about, "I've been here the whole time."

Hard to imagine why any top recruits would pick Miami now over the past 10 years.

Miami is like....Penn State, at this point. What's the hook?

Hard to imagine why any top recruits would pick Miami now over the past 10 years.

Miami is like....Penn State, at this point. What's the hook?

Have you been to Miami?

Have you seen some of the coeds at Miami?

Have you been to South Beach?

Have you been to Miami?

Have you seen some of the coeds at Miami?

Have you been to South Beach?

A lot of people think that football factories like Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, FSU or even UF must have nice weather all the time and be comparable places to live but they are all kinda shitsville compared to Miami.

As a Gator fan, I've obviously seen plenty of Richt over the years. I'm not sure what Miami thinks will be different from his time at Georgia. The recruiting area is basically the same. He'll get better recruits from southern FL, but less interest from the northern part of the state and GA/Carolina regions.

They'll do fine in recruiting, but so did GA. The real question comes down to his coaching ability which just hasn't lived up to his reputation. I don't know how many times during his 14 year tenure at GA that we all got to hear about how loaded their roster was and how THIS was the year they would finally be the year that they won it all, but more often than not never got there.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach and will likely do good things for Miami considering how bad it's been there, but IMO he's kind of proven to not be the guy you want to get Miami back to winning titles.

As a Gator fan, I've obviously seen plenty of Richt over the years. I'm not sure what Miami thinks will be different from his time at Georgia. The recruiting area is basically the same. He'll get better recruits from southern FL, but less interest from the northern part of the state and GA/Carolina regions.

They'll do fine in recruiting, but so did GA. The real question comes down to his coaching ability which just hasn't lived up to his reputation. I don't know how many times during his 14 year tenure at GA that we all got to hear about how loaded their roster was and how THIS was the year they would finally be the year that they won it all, but more often than not never got there.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very good coach and will likely do good things for Miami considering how bad it's been there, but IMO he's kind of proven to not be the guy you want to get Miami back to winning titles.

There is a difference between Georgia "loaded" and Miami "loaded".

Georgia loaded is a whole lot of guys who will be early draft picks and good NFL players.

Miami loaded is a lot of guys who will be dominating in the NFL.

I agree that Richt is what he proved to be at Georgia..........but you don't have to be as good to win big at Miami.