The League Hiding Money From Players

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frequently the myriad of income streams and complexities of associated accounting rules make it challenging for the league to calculate the exact amounts due to be allocated to various revenue pools. We continue to seek improvements to our internal processes to minimize any potential mistakes.

While I understand the notion of the business owners trying to maximize as being dirty and underhanded, it really amounts to roughly $.5 million per team per year. That's way less than 1% of a yearly payroll. Obviously that's a lot of money. But when we talk salaries and cap charges around here we toss around $.5 million like it was peanuts. So I'm not going to get too worked up over it. It's not like the company I work for hasn't done similar things with my pension contributions. You keep watch, and when you catch them they say oops and you make them pay. Then you get up and go to work.

League minimum for an UDFA in 2016 is $450k. I think they're doing okay.

Good comment. I'm not supporting the owners as stealing is stealing, but the players aren't exactly suffering either. The mistake often players make is thinking this is their only career. They play as long as needed, and then need to get a real job. If the average player last 3.5 years, that is a rookie contract so they have a little money left over.

This is where they make a mistake and don't graduate from college.

Good comment. I'm not supporting the owners as stealing is stealing, but the players aren't exactly suffering either. The mistake often players make is thinking this is their only career. They play as long as needed, and then need to get a real job. If the average player last 3.5 years, that is a rookie contract so they have a little money left over.

Exactly right!! It should be mandated that if you want to play in the NFL you have to graduate from College to enter the draft. This way, when their career in Football is over they already have the degree to pursue what ever else it was they wanted to do with their lives.

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

Frequently the myriad of income streams and complexities of associated accounting rules make it challenging for the league to calculate the exact amounts due to be allocated to various revenue pools. We continue to seek improvements to our internal processes to minimize any potential mistakes.

Funny stuff. Everytime you post Roger, I literally laugh out loud.

Exactly right!! It should be mandated that if you want to play in the NFL you have to graduate from College to enter the draft. This way, when their career in Football is over they already have the degree to pursue what ever else it was they wanted to do with their lives.

BigPappy

So they should wait and risk injury? They have a chance to make a lot of money and in many cases they come from nothing. I couldn't disagree more that they should be required to graduate.

Maybe the NFL and NFLPA can negotiate a portion of the salary cap that is a mandatory retirement plan? That makes some sense. As an example if the players get 47% of the shared revenue each year, the other 3% is conservatively invested and divided evenly amongst all NFL players. The roughly 1,800 players play in the NFL each year would be entitled to their share. If the cap is $154M each year league shared revenues are roughly $310M or so. That would mean that 3% per player would come to roughly $171K per year in the retirement fund. Even if it is 1.5% it would be $85.5k. Again, these are rough numbers but if the NFLPA is really concerned about their players well being it makes some sense. Take a low end on the salary, but push for a couple of points on the retirement.

BigPappy

No way. The league shouldn't mandate these guys to do anything. If they value the education, they'll get it. If not, that's on them.

Absolutely wrong.

Players have ten years to start going back to school without losing credits they earned. There is also absolutely nothing preventing them from continuing their education while in the nfl. The mere act of "staying in school" means nothing to how well they do after college, the last time I looked they don't give you a job because you graduated. The desire and forethought to plan for life after football is way more complicated than "I have a degree so I'll be ok".