Junior Galette

I have no idea...

Pros: Double digit sacks twice, probably spent a ton of his earnings so he's highly motivated to get back in nfl good graces and get some more checks

Cons: That, some domestic violence thing? i honestly cant remember what he did. I know if he's not on his best behavior, he's a huge problem. It'd definately be a 1 strike kind of deal.

probably not great... but we have no pass rush right now, and very little cap room. And i assume he'd want to not be a problem for a year?

Rob Ryan should be able to give us an in depth report if hes worth going after or not as pretty sure they worked together in the Big Easy.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is true, I want Rex gone. What a scumbag organization we are becoming.

Clearly they don't care about character.

Honest question: am I wrong about caring about character? I know it's football but why do we have to root for trash? There are plenty of guys who aren't scumbags and do things the right way. How do parents justify some of this players to their kids? So the team can win?

FYI, I just realize I'm getting old and cranky haha.

Interstingly I don't recall anyone criticizing the Redskins for signing him unless I missed it.

I already thought Washington was a scumbag organization, starting at the top.

And here are some comments: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/washington-signs-junior-galette-to-one-year-deal-for-minimum/

We really need to be the garbage dump for some of this trash?

Honest question: am I wrong about caring about character? I know it's football but why do we have to root for trash? There are plenty of guys who aren't scumbags and do things the right way. How do parents justify some of this players to their kids? So the team can win?

I don't think it's as simple as wrong/right. Some people take the 'it's only a sport' angle differently to others. For me, it's not important enough to sacrifice my principles for. For others, it's nothing but entertainment so they have a built-in disconnect to certain elements.

I've often been accused of putting sportsmen on a pedestal when it comes to judging their off-field exploits but it's actually the polar opposite. I treat them exactly the same as anyone else. I try to take the stance that if I owned a business and my employee got arrested for something, would I terminate him/her for it. Only way I can do it.

Plenty of guys have what South African cricketer Allan Donald described as 'white line fever'. In the spirit of competition, they can summon a bit of nasty to get the best out of themselves. Once the game finishes, they revert back to a calmer version of themself. Finding that balance is an art form for a sportsman. I don't like guys who don't possess it.

I think that there is a fine line. I tend to side with Golic a little bit. He says that everyone deserves a 2nd chance but after that you are kind of on your own. Where I am a little different is that I tend to be more lenient with young guys. If a guy messed up in college (even a few times) I am willing to give him a chance if the value is right. We were all young and stupid and some guys mature to become upstanding human beings. Caron Butler was one of the worst people ever when he was young and grew to be a team leader.

The people that I have no patience for are the Galette's of the world and wife beaters in general? This guy has been a lunatic on multiple occasion's. This isn't a "kids being kids" situation. This is a psychopath and generally a bad human being.

I already thought Washington was a scumbag organization, starting at the top.

And here are some comments: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/washington-signs-junior-galette-to-one-year-deal-for-minimum/

We really need to be the garbage dump for some of this trash?

no, we don't. I was just saying I don't remember the Redskins getting the kind of media sh*t that the Cowboys did with Hardy.

I think that there is a fine line. I tend to side with Golic a little bit. He says that everyone deserves a 2nd chance but after that you are kind of on your own. Where I am a little different is that I tend to be more lenient with young guys. If a guy messed up in college (even a few times) I am willing to give him a chance if the value is right. We were all young and stupid and some guys mature to become upstanding human beings. Caron Butler was one of the worst people ever when he was young and grew to be a team leader.

The people that I have no patience for are the Galette's of the world and wife beaters in general? This guy has been a lunatic on multiple occasion's. This isn't a "kids being kids" situation. This is a psychopath and generally a bad human being.

Thanks and well said.

I don't think it's as simple as wrong/right. Some people take the 'it's only a sport' angle differently to others. For me, it's not important enough to sacrifice my principles for. For others, it's nothing but entertainment so they have a built-in disconnect to certain elements.

I've often been accused of putting sportsmen on a pedestal when it comes to judging their off-field exploits but it's actually the polar opposite. I treat them exactly the same as anyone else. I try to take the stance that if I owned a business and my employee got arrested for something, would I terminate him/her for it. Only way I can do it.

Plenty of guys have what South African cricketer Allan Donald described as 'white line fever'. In the spirit of competition, they can summon a bit of nasty to get the best out of themselves. Once the game finishes, they revert back to a calmer version of themself. Finding that balance is an art form for a sportsman. I don't like guys who don't possess it.

Good post. I love aggressive, nasty players who can leave it on the field. I think JJ Watt can be on the border between aggressive and dirty. But he seems to be as clean as the T come off the field.

Why do we need to be the team that gives these guys their 4th and 5th chances? It would feel so dirty to cheer for his guy.

and beyond that, its made him unreliable to show up on sunday. will he get into trouble and be suspended? will he take 4 teammates out til 3am on a saturday night?

for a 1 yr deal thats GREAT value to the skill, im more prone to stomach character issues, but teams time and time again give these guys the long term commitment and get hurt by it. plus, as a fan, i dont feel like im stuck rooting for the guy in particular if hes a known 1 year rental.

whats tough here though is that on top of character hes coming off an injury that may seriously hurt his ability to explode off the line.

I guess it depends on if you're a team guy or someone who likes to root for players. I'm a team guy so I don't really care if the guys are arrogant jerks or say stupid things. I draw the line at morons who are likely to be suspended, which hurts the team, or scumbags who I just don't want living in my community; Galette/Hardy are the latter. Some people want everyone to be a super-nice role model type person, I don't fall in that crowd. Incognito is a good example: bit of a meathead/douchebag and not someone you'd want to hang out with probably, but he's good on the field and doesn't seem like he would be a negative to have on the team as a whole.

Edited by ndirish1978

Good post. I love aggressive, nasty players who can leave it on the field. I think JJ Watt can be on the border between aggressive and dirty. But he seems to be as clean as the T come off the field.

Why do we need to be the team that gives these guys their 4th and 5th chances? It would feel so dirty to cheer for his guy.

Someone like Kyle Williams is my prototype player. Technically very good player, plays with a chip on his shoulder and has a fiery streak that helps him do his job. Off the field, just a quiet family man from Louisiana. No worries that he's ever going to be involved in trouble or scandal. I don't bother following many NFL players on Twitter but I keep guys like Geoff Schwartz and Arthur Moats around as reminders that good guys do exist in the league.

Not all character issues are the same. I took issue with quite a few guys the Bills picked up last year for various reasons but it wasn't enough to make me question my fanhood. Signing a guy like Hardy/Galette would seriously push me to that. They both represent the other side of the line I've drawn for myself.