Love the game, but not the direction its headed in

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The league is run by a bunch of people who made their fortunes mostly through corporations. A vast majority of corporations sole purpose is to increase revenues and profit margins for their stock holders (and especially the board of directors) often by screwing over their workforce on a yearly basis through outsourcing, shipping production overseas, wage increases that are a fraction of inflation rates, increased health premiums, eliminating benefits, etc. This mentality is ingrained in a lot of them and they don't know any other way to function really. So the NFL is no different. Increase revenues year after year, increase profits year after year, no matter what it takes.

I just never understood why some great things just can't be left as is. Oh wait, yes I do, pure and simple greed.

Yes, and if productivity does not improve, you'will all get laid off, and be replaced by foreign fans, who don't expect so much.

as someone who has "three warning points" which to this day befuddles me, isnt it time to remove this and move it to the political board? as a recovering"alleged political poster"on the regular message board when it strayed into politics before i realized you "dont do that".. i am recommending it.

Edited by dwight in philly

The connection must have eluded you.

Enlighten us then. What are the connections between multinational corporations outsourcing work and cutting benefits (etc) and the NFL?

I haven't seen a group of people complain so much a bout a company that provides a free product since Popeyes ran out free chicken here..

Sadly, what has hurt the game is the lure of more money. Does it right itself? Yes. But, I dont see a team being in place in London anytime soon. More of what we are seeing, an increase in games every season, where we may see 16 games played in London 👎

Overall, more money, more problems

Sadly, what has hurt the game is the lure of more money. Does it right itself? Yes. But, I dont see a team being in place in London anytime soon. More of what we are seeing, an increase in games every season, where we may see 16 games played in London

Overall, more money, more problems

Ralph Wilson whored out the Bills to the lamest "NFL" city in existence for years and many here had little or no problem with it (regionalization, or something). The games were spectacular flops in every conceivable way.

In contrast, the overseas (and Mexico) games are wildly popular in those locales. Why is it that the NFL should not bring the game to a local global audience?

And it's telling that people are at least indirectly comparing overseas games to "outsourcing" by corporations.

The single biggest thing about the NFL that galls me is the way that a supposed business gets the local taxpayers to pick up the financing, and often more, for their own operating expenses. (aka stadiums) It's a business, run it like one and pay for your own expenses.

Sad truth is this is how many large corporations are run. Most large businesses that have something that local or state governments want (usually jobs) are able to extort unreal amounts of land, tax breaks, and subsidies to move their operations. A Boeing plant opened near where I live and it was incredible all the incentives they were given and how scared everyone was that they wouldn't open. Seen the same sort of thing with real estate developers too, so I guess there's lots of hooks these corporations use.

Enlighten us then. What are the connections between multinational corporations outsourcing work and cutting benefits (etc) and the NFL?

I haven't seen a group of people complain so much a bout a company that provides a free product since Popeyes ran out free chicken here..

The NFL has historically had an image problem not providing their ex-players with adequate benefits. Is this news to you?

Why don't they do something about it? Why should they? That's the point that has apparently eluded you. It's the reality of the situation, and some people think that's kinda ****ty. You're welcome to believe that we all live in a vacuum and that they have no obligation outside of producing revenue, and that's fine. But people who feel otherwise aren't bananas. They're conscientious.

You might think that showing commercials every 43 seconds makes for a fine product. We all know the NFL will squeeze as much revenue-generating promotions into each and every broadcast. Some people think that compromises the product, which, of course is the entertainment of consuming professional football. You're welcome to feel otherwise. The people who don't aren't complaining about a company (as you say), they're complaining about the product, and their opinion is perfectly valid.

The NFL is now up to its neck in a concussion crisis. You may not see it this way. But many people do. The NFL arrived at this point because they went about their merry business for as long as they could until it became a full-fledged public nuisance. A handful of high-profile suicides tied to CTE which is tied to participating in football and boom, here we are. You might think that the NFL exists only to entertain the masses and to make money doing so, others happen to believe that some portion of their mountainous sums of money should be and should have been devoted to taking measures for prevention so that lives weren't ruined. It's not a radical idea.

But again, perhaps you believe we all live in a sterile, money driven environment and that all that matters is cash cash cash. Fine. But you should understand that not everybody believes that's the case.

Sad truth is this is how many large corporations are run. Most large businesses that have something that local or state governments want (usually jobs) are able to extort unreal amounts of land, tax breaks, and subsidies to move their operations. A Boeing plant opened near where I live and it was incredible all the incentives they were given and how scared everyone was that they wouldn't open. Seen the same sort of thing with real estate developers too, so I guess there's lots of hooks these corporations use.

Sounds more like a criticism of state and municipal government to me.

It's not.

It absolutely is a reflection of government. Who offers tax incentives and funds stadiums with funds that will never realize full return on investment? Who has more power with which to extort? Poor Uncle Sam is at the mercy of the NFL?

Nearsighted policy throws money at businesses and developers. Empty business parks around the country tell the story. Build it and they will lease. For 10 years. Then you have empty outdated buildings, the company relocated to a town next door dumb enough to make them an even better deal, and the tax payer is still on the hook. If government insists upon greeting the private sector with their pants down and wallets out then they can expect to get cleaned out. I blame the system which incentivizes such foolishness and not those who benefit from it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me thousands of times a year....can't get fooled again.

Edited by Jauronimo

The league is run by a bunch of people who made their fortunes mostly through corporations. A vast majority of corporations sole purpose is to increase revenues and profit margins for their stock holders (and especially the board of directors) often by screwing over their workforce on a yearly basis through outsourcing, shipping production overseas, wage increases that are a fraction of inflation rates, increased health premiums, eliminating benefits, etc. This mentality is ingrained in a lot of them and they don't know any other way to function really. So the NFL is no different. Increase revenues year after year, increase profits year after year, no matter what it takes.

I just never understood why some great things just can't be left as is. Oh wait, yes I do, pure and simple greed.

I know many business owners and corporate executives and just don't think the bolded sentences are true. In my experience, corporate leaders do not have worse values than blue collar guys. In fact, the several business owners I know carefully consider - and often stress over - the proper balance between business needs and their care for their employees. Profit is obviously important - no company can thrive without it - but there are always other goals and priorities.

Obviously, the news is full of stories of egregious corporate greed. But the typical corporate executive is just as goodhearted as the typical hardworking Bills fan. Maybe Goodell is an a-hole, I don't know. But Gordon Gekko doesn't represent corporate America and no group of Americans deserves to be stereotyped that way.

As far as the NFL is concerned: think Ralph Wilson or Terry & Kim Pegula. The NFL is run by its owners - the commissioner ultimately works for them. Ralph gave away $1.2 billion dollars so I don't think greed was his biggest or sole motivator. Terry has famously said if he wanted more money, he'd dig another well. Greed is not why he got involved with the NFL. And these are the people determining policy regarding concussions and everything else. Certainly they've made mistakes. But some of the NFL-is-evil-incarnate rhetoric is overblown. Ralph, Terry and Kim are not evil.

The NFL has historically had an image problem not providing their ex-players with adequate benefits. Is this news to you?

Why don't they do something about it? Why should they? That's the point that has apparently eluded you. It's the reality of the situation, and some people think that's kinda ****ty. You're welcome to believe that we all live in a vacuum and that they have no obligation outside of producing revenue, and that's fine. But people who feel otherwise aren't bananas. They're conscientious.

You might think that showing commercials every 43 seconds makes for a fine product. We all know the NFL will squeeze as much revenue-generating promotions into each and every broadcast. Some people think that compromises the product, which, of course is the entertainment of consuming professional football. You're welcome to feel otherwise. The people who don't aren't complaining about a company (as you say), they're complaining about the product, and their opinion is perfectly valid.

The NFL is now up to its neck in a concussion crisis. You may not see it this way. But many people do. The NFL arrived at this point because they went about their merry business for as long as they could until it became a full-fledged public nuisance. A handful of high-profile suicides tied to CTE which is tied to participating in football and boom, here we are. You might think that the NFL exists only to entertain the masses and to make money doing so, others happen to believe that some portion of their mountainous sums of money should be and should have been devoted to taking measures for prevention so that lives weren't ruined. It's not a radical idea.

But again, perhaps you believe we all live in a sterile, money driven environment and that all that matters is cash cash cash. Fine. But you should understand that not everybody believes that's the case.

blibitty blabbity boo.

the guy is fed up with the direction of the NFL not the history of it.

its like saying i'm fed up with the history of this country because the indigenous people now don't get to go on TLC and have a reality show or something nonsensical like that.

It absolutely is a reflection of government. Who offers tax incentives and funds stadiums with funds that will never realize full return on investment? Who has more power with which to extort? Poor Uncle Sam is at the mercy of the NFL?

Nearsighted policy throws money at businesses and developers. Empty business parks around the country tell the story. Build it and they will lease. For 10 years. Then you have empty outdated buildings, the company relocated to a town next door dumb enough to make them an even better deal, and the tax payer is still on the hook. If government insists upon greeting the private sector with their pants down and wallets out then they can expect to get cleaned out. I blame the system which incentivizes such foolishness and not those who benefit from it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me thousands of times a year....can't get fooled again.

but if the politicians didn't go in front of a camera about how they want to do all they can to keep the bills in buffalo when Pegula was buying them and making all sorts of lobbies and such ... we would never vote for them!!!!

so, we as fans > NFL.

my gosh the logical failure of this thread is a joyride. the nfl is only as powerful as the fans who empower it.