Who really Billieves in Tyrod Taylor? Apparently BN does...

Marty McFly

Year after year, draft after draft, you are lucky to have one QB become a legit starter. Yet every draft people act like there are 4-5 QBs worth taking.

Because there are 4 QB's who have the potential to become legit starters. Talk about fallacious.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year after year, draft after draft, you are lucky to have one QB become a legit starter. Yet every draft people act like there are 4-5 QBs worth taking.

And yet every single year there are at least 4 or 5 QBs taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft; why do you think that is?

Because there are 4 QB's who have the potential to become legit starters. Talk about fallacious.

Hey, people buy lottery tickets too.

Year after year the bills don't take them and lose and you tell us this every year.

So if the Bills drafted a JP Losman or EJ Manuel every year, we'd be winners? Edited by PromoTheRobot

if you keep prioritizing short term goals (say, using 1st round pick for a starter on defense) you will never fix your long term goal of a Franchise QB.

draft a QB in the first or second rounds, until you get the franchise QB

There aren't enough snaps for that. Teams can't afford to pass on a starter for a guy that they may cut in a year. Drafting the wrong QB in the 1st 2 rounds is the equivalent (or worse) than using 1 of your 1st 2 picks every year on Cyrus Kuandjio. That doesn't work which is why nobody does it. You have to draft the right guy regardless of position. QBs get pushed up the board some because of the position so often you are already reaching. Always get the best player at a position of need and you will be fine. The Bills have reached twice on QBs in the last 12 years and it really set them back. Edited by Kirby Jackson

There aren't enough snaps for that. Teams can't afford to pass on a starter for a guy that they may cut in a year. Drafting the wrong QB in the 1st 2 rounds is the equivalent (or worse) than using 1 of your 1st 2 picks every year on Cyrus Kuandjio. That doesn't work which is why nobody does it. You have to draft the right guy regardless of position. QBs get pushed up the board some because of the position so often you are already reaching. Always get the best player at a position of need and you will be fine. The Bills have reached twice on QBs in the last 12 years and it really set them back.

this is like the which comes first, the chicken or the egg

which comes first, the Franchise QB or the Best available player

for me, you must fill the Franchise QB role above all else...not even close.

you just keep trying til you get it right. besides, there are plenty of misses at non qb players in early rounds.

the reason most teams pick best available is the guys making the decisions are thinking SHORT term , for their own job security.

when it clearly is in a franchises best interest to think long term and always have the next franchise qb in the pipeline.

Tyrod is simply a band aid QB until something better arrives.If he starts here next season then be prepared to B word and moan all season again.When he was named the starter last year all I can say is ,I told you so.

You were close to as wrong as possible about the QB position

this is like the which comes first, the chicken or the egg

which comes first, the Franchise QB or the Best available player

for me, you must fill the Franchise QB role above all else...not even close.

you just keep trying til you get it right. besides, there are plenty of misses at non qb players in early rounds.

the reason most teams pick best available is the guys making the decisions are thinking SHORT term , for their own job security.

when it clearly is in a franchises best interest to think long term and always have the next franchise qb in the pipeline.

If every team that needed a QB did this each year, 10-20 QBs would go in the 1st 2 rounds. While teams were taking shots on guys like Jake Coker in the 2nd the teams win QBs are adding guys like Eli Apple in the same place. The talent gap would further widen between the teams with QBs and the teams without.

You always need to be looking for a QB if you don't have one but can't spend foolishly. I'm okay drafting a guy that you like a round before where he is on your board. As an example if you have a 5th round grade on Dak Prescott and you take him in the 4th that's fine. It's still a reach according to your board but the importance of the position warrants that. If you took him in the 2nd with a 5th round grade that's a big mistake.

Based on his play and development from week 1 to week 17 this season Who really Billieves in Tyrod Taylor enough NOT to take a QB in the 1st round and go Defense instead? As the future or as an interim to the next "Kelly" type franchise guy?

Apparently Jay Skurski of the Buffalo news throws him a vote of confidence.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/02/02/power-take-taylors-play-means-bills-do-not-need-to-pick-up-qb-early/

Mark my words, there is ZERO chance the Bills go QB in Round 1, and probably less than a 10% chance they look at one in round 2 (only real chance would be someone they had real high on their board in terms of grade slipped to round 2 that should have been in round 1).

Why are people even speculating on this anymore? Every indication from anyone who matters in decision making inside the Bills on draft picks and QB's have all strongly supported TT. The kid is the man the next year, period. He still has plenty to prove before he gets the job for the next 5 to 10 years and a big contract, but they are going to give him every opportunity to do that. And the one thing this regime has proven is that they are not going to make draft picks that might interfere with someone's development they are committed to and instead go after putting the best team on that field to help them all achieve the goals we set forth.

For instance, they went after Sammy rather another QB because they were committed to developing EJ. I know people will now twist that to use against the decision to develop TT, but EJ also wasnt coming off a ProBowl on his first season playing in the NFL and getting there despite all the hurdles TT had to overcome like personal injuries and the loss of so many playmakers around him for so much of the season.

TT is our guy, there will be NO first round pick, and almost certain no 2nd round pick used on a QB. 3rd or later maybe as someone who can come in to develop and compete for the back up spot and possibly for the starting spot in the future if TT doesn't continue his progress (and he still needs to get better, but he had a pretty good first season as an NFL QB).

PS: The insane part is if TT was a literal rookie we just drafted last year, this board would think he was a god after his first season. But because it wasn't, they treat him differently even though it was essentially still his first season playing in the NFL as a starting QB playing meaningful minutes.

Mark my words, there is ZERO chance the Bills go QB in Round 1, and probably less than a 10% chance they look at one in round 2 (only real chance would be someone they had real high on their board in terms of grade slipped to round 2 that should have been in round 1).

Why are people even speculating on this anymore? Every indication from anyone who matters in decision making inside the Bills on draft picks and QB's have all strongly supported TT. The kid is the man the next year, period. He still has plenty to prove before he gets the job for the next 5 to 10 years and a big contract, but they are going to give him every opportunity to do that. And the one thing this regime has proven is that they are not going to make draft picks that might interfere with someone's development they are committed to and instead go after putting the best team on that field to help them all achieve the goals we set forth.

For instance, they went after Sammy rather another QB because they were committed to developing EJ. I know people will now twist that to use against the decision to develop TT, but EJ also wasnt coming off a ProBowl on his first season playing in the NFL and getting there despite all the hurdles TT had to overcome like personal injuries and the loss of so many playmakers around him for so much of the season.

TT is our guy, there will be NO first round pick, and almost certain no 2nd round pick used on a QB. 3rd or later maybe as someone who can come in to develop and compete for the back up spot and possibly for the starting spot in the future if TT doesn't continue his progress (and he still needs to get better, but he had a pretty good first season as an NFL QB).

PS: The insane part is if TT was a literal rookie we just drafted last year, this board would think he was a god after his first season. But because it wasn't, they treat him differently even though it was essentially still his first season playing in the NFL as a starting QB playing meaningful minutes.

Agree. I been Team Tyrod since the Cleveland Pre-Season game.

Watch link. Get hyped for next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eEJOui0Qk

There aren't enough snaps for that. Teams can't afford to pass on a starter for a guy that they may cut in a year. Drafting the wrong QB in the 1st 2 rounds is the equivalent (or worse) than using 1 of your 1st 2 picks every year on Cyrus Kuandjio. That doesn't work which is why nobody does it. You have to draft the right guy regardless of position. QBs get pushed up the board some because of the position so often you are already reaching. Always get the best player at a position of need and you will be fine. The Bills have reached twice on QBs in the last 12 years and it really set them back.

we have reviewed this ad nauseam have we not? a team cannot have 14 QBs on the team and let the cream rise. The program is not set up that way.

My statement is , it is equally as important to have the ability to develop said drafted QB as it is to "choose " the correct one.

Bills have a history of messing up in this area.

Tyrod might be the exception. And i would like to thank the Coaching staff for how well they are bringing him along.

Screw TrentDilfer and his prognostications.

and to the Fans who expected more last season?

I think Bills paced him perfectly for the home stretch.

giddy up!!

So if the bills drafted any of Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Bridgewater, mccarron, Dalton we'd be winners ?

Were those the only choices? What about Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion , Bryce Petty, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemien, Johnny Manziel, Jimmy Garoppolo, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Aaron Murray, David Fales, Kieth Wenning, Tajh Boyd, Garrett Gilbert, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Brad Sorensen, Zac Dysert, BJ Daniels, Sean Renfree, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Lindley, BJ Coleman, Chandler Harnish, Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates, Nathan Enderle, Greg McElroy, Terelle Pryor, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, Janathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFevour, Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Levi Brown (actually we DID draft him), Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson and of course...JOHN SKELTON?!?!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I take all those comments with a grain of salt because people also act like bandwagon Carolina Panther fans. just ask @boyst62

Were those the only choices? What about Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion , Bryce Petty, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemien, Johnny Manziel, Jimmy Garoppolo, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, Aaron Murray, David Fales, Kieth Wenning, Tajh Boyd, Garrett Gilbert, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Brad Sorensen, Zac Dysert, BJ Daniels, Sean Renfree, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Lindley, BJ Coleman, Chandler Harnish, Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, Ricky Stanzi, TJ Yates, Nathan Enderle, Greg McElroy, Terelle Pryor, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, Janathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFevour, Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Levi Brown (actually we DID draft him), Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson and of course...JOHN SKELTON?!?!

LOL got sonned by a robot....need some sun block?

On the bright side at least Blaine Gabbert the latest 49ner starter at QB(who might be an Alex Smith-type project and best QB out of all the names you listed) had a good stretch of games, and Weeden, Nassib, and McCoy got a decent game or two under their belts. So yeah....Ill take my chances with Tyrod and draft all Defense and an OT, WR this draft. Maybe that super kicker Ogyuanda or watever his name is this season too.

Edited by Marty McFly

I take all those comments with a grain of salt because people also act like bandwagon Carolina Panther fans. just ask @boyst62

LOL got sonned by a robot....need some sun block?

On the bright side at least Blaine Gabbert the latest 49ner starter at QB(who might be an Alex Smith-type project and best QB out of all the names you listed) had a good stretch of games, and Weeden, Nassib, and McCoy got a decent game or two under their belts. So yeah....Ill take my chances with Tyrod and draft all Defense and an OT, WR this draft. Maybe that super kicker Ogyuanda or watever his name is this season too.

I know a few of those names have had or are having their 15 minutes of fame. The point is none are the franchise saviors we yearn for. Even some of the names RLB dropped like A.J. McCarron are still unproven. So I don't even get why he mentioned them.

if you keep prioritizing short term goals (say, using 1st round pick for a starter on defense) you will never fix your long term goal of a Franchise QB.

draft a QB in the first or second rounds, until you get the franchise QB

And what about our other glaring needs?

Look...I am not oblivious to the needs for more QB talent on this roster......but in my opinion if our defense didnt take a dump this last year we are in the playoffs......and some of those playoff teams were not playing that great...just gotta get there.

Mario is probably gone......need pass rush.......Rex is going all in on HIS D this next year...need players that fit it

RT is a mess

We have our 2016 starter......we do need to develop a QB behind him......but I would go towards a Dak Prescott type

Edited by John from Hemet

I have said previously that they should draft a QB in rounds 5 to 7. But I'm rethinking that.

I have read a few articles that had the general message: there are many teams in bad QB straits and they will overvalue QB's (eg. pick a QB higher round than really deserved ).

I don't want the Bills to overpay for a QB. There will be some workable training camp arms in the UDFA ranks, and maybe a surprise.