• James Burgess ILB Louisville
    • Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky
    • Jalin Marshall WR, PR Ohio St (fast)
    • Spencer Drango OT Baylor

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not overly enamoured with the TE class this year but Higbee is definitely my favourite thus far.

Playing three fewer games this year, and injured for most of a fourth, Higbee outproduced the tight ends above him on most boards. Of course, they were from "bigger" schools. Higbee has played no AP-ranked teams, but has a nice 15.6 ypc against conference teams.

I think Clay and Gray get playing time next year, so using a pick this late makes sense (although the Baylor basketball player sounds intriguing).

The argument against TE in the draft: We've taken Gragg and O'Leary almost at this same pick in previous drafts, and there are some bargain-basement FA's.

Edited by Astrobot

Jalin Marshall is Braxton Lite. Also a former QB, he has played WR longer as he made the transition immediately upon coming to osu and returned punts a ton (which was boom or bust last year and much more solidly consistent this year) - a little smaller but very shifty. If we didn't take Braxton earlier, he's a nice pickup in the 6th rd. I took the ILB since we need one. I have heard of Burgess and that he's supposed to be good, but watch very little Louisville football so don't know much about him.

Burgess didn't come out for the draft last year, and it was a so-so decision. He ended up our 11th ranked ILB here: http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-ILBs-2016-Draft.asp Burgess (6-0, 229) started every game the last two seasons (after Preston Brown left) and is described as an athletic, technically-sound playmaker. I don't think he's as good as Preston Brown, though. This late, Cassanova McKinzy is a thumper, and Antonio Morrison had the best Senior Bowl.

Edited by Astrobot

For those comparing Elijah Shumate SS Notre Dame, and T.J. Green FS Clemson:

(Aaron Williams is likely returning as our SS. Bacarri Rambo is a free agent behind him. Meeks, Duke Williams,Chandler, and Leodis if we keep him would be possible FS.)

Shumate is the old-timey box safety, good run support, not a cover guy. You would likely take him out on passing downs. He's described as strong, explosive, a very willing hitter, and usually a strong tackler.

TJ Green, from Rex's alma mater, maybe came out a year early (so the name fits). He was Clemson's 2nd-leading tackler this year. Green was a WR before switching to Safety, and he's tall (6-2). Good production: 95 tackles, 5.5 TFL, one sack, three PBU and two FF in 2015. He's my choice between those two.

(Aaron Williams is likely returning as our SS. Bacarri Rambo is a free agent behind him. Meeks, Duke Williams,Chandler, and Leodis if we keep him would be possible FS.)

Shumate is the old-timey box safety, good run support, not a cover guy. You would likely take him out on passing downs. He's described as strong, explosive, a very willing hitter, and usually a strong tackler.

TJ Green, from Rex's alma mater, maybe came out a year early (so the name fits). He was Clemson's 2nd-leading tackler this year. Green was a WR before switching to Safety, and he's tall (6-2). Good production: 95 tackles, 5.5 TFL, one sack, three PBU and two FF in 2015. He's my choice between those two.

by Chandler do you mean Graham? I'm hoping to get a safety earlier in the draft. Or FA.

by Chandler do you mean Graham? I'm hoping to get a safety earlier in the draft. Or FA.

Yes Chandler. I'm sorry.

One way the Bills could so this is to go for Su'a Cravens RD2 and play him like a hybrid LB/S. I'm a fan of Darian Thompson (son lives in Boise, so biased) and Kevin Byard.

This draft, if it were how it shook out, would get Whaley fired

No LB's, one DL player, a QB with our 1st with other glaring needs and possibilities at that point, a K in round 5, and all for a cap-strapped team? Playoffs? No, unemployment line.

LOL yep.

Id take Green to replace Searcy. Would like to have a playmaking FS on the team that with WR experience can snag some INTs and has experience finding the ball in the air and catching it at the high point

agreed. Fire Whaley if this is our draft. Horrible. And with bargains available at every round

Our horrible defense last year loses Mario and Bradham, but only adds Adolphus Washington. And we prioritized a kicker over front 7. Horrible

I tend to agree. This would be a very underwhelming draft.

Wentz has great potential, but do we really go with a QB with our first pick?

Braxton Miller is too much of a project that I don't think we can spend time on.

I really do not think that we need a Kicker so badly that we have to draft one. I'll give Carpenter another chance.

D-Line and LB should be the priorities for us. We cannot draft just one D-Lineman. Drafting Spence would be great. I also want to see more of what DE Victor Ochi from Stony Brook can do. I'd never heard of him until the East-West game, and he looked very good. He could be a late round gem.

I actually agree. As a group we did a terrible job. We passed up on Spence and Butler in favor of Washington and a kicker!! We took a QB in the 1st (who won't be there). We passed up on Rankins multiple times. Next time anyone here complains about our drafting we should just look here to the terrible job that we collectively did.

pin it as a reminder

I actually agree. As a group we did a terrible job. We passed up on Spence and Butler in favor of Washington and a kicker!! We took a QB in the 1st (who won't be there). We passed up on Rankins multiple times. Next time anyone here complains about our drafting we should just look here to the terrible job that we collectively did.

LOL totally.

Rex and Whaley are in trouble if they don't make the playoffs. Taylor's numbers were good but I think they need better. Hypothetically if they go 8-8 next year and Taylor has the same season I think they'd be going into 2017 looking for a QB early. In terms of Whaley miss the playoffs take a QB in 3rd rd he loses job. Take a QB at 19 he gets another year to see whether he's the answer. The safest pick for Whaley to keep his job is a QB. The safest pick for the roster probably gets Whaley fired. It'll be interesting.

19: R1P19
DT ANDREW BILLINGS
BAYLOR
49: R2P18
OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
80: R3P17
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
114: R4P19
WR LEONTE CARROO
RUTGERS
144: R5P17
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
174: R6P17
TE JERELL ADAMS
SOUTH CAROLINA

Using the drafttek board updated 2/2. I much prefer this draft.

Here is another better one-

OLB NOAH SPENCE
EASTERN KENTUCKY
DT VERNON BUTLER
LOUISIANA TECH
WR JOSH DOCTSON
TCU
OT JOE HAEG
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
144: R5P17
ILB BLAKE MARTINEZ
STANFORD
174: R6P17
DE BRONSON KAUFUSI
BRIGHAM YOUNG

Rex and Whaley are in trouble if they don't make the playoffs. Taylor's numbers were good but I think they need better. Hypothetically if they go 8-8 next year and Taylor has the same season I think they'd be going into 2017 looking for a QB early. In terms of Whaley miss the playoffs take a QB in 3rd rd he loses job. Take a QB at 19 he gets another year to see whether he's the answer. The safest pick for Whaley to keep his job is a QB. The safest pick for the roster probably gets Whaley fired. It'll be interesting.

That logic doesn't really make sense (no offense). Tyrod is the QB next year no matter what. If the Bills need to make the playoffs for everyone to keep their jobs are they better off with a young QB on the bench or a starter that potentially has the impact of Darby? It isn't really debatable. A starter at WR or in the defensive front 7 is much better for next year's record. Edited by Kirby Jackson

For my own part....I think Spence in round 1 is the right way to go.....and a OT in round 2 depending on best player available.

I think that you are on track. If I had to guess, the Bills will try to add 2 players in the front 7, an OT and a WR with their first 4 picks. The order in which they do it will depend on how the board falls.

Most ridiculous draft yet. Using the same drafttek board-

OLB MYLES JACK
UCLA
OLB NOAH SPENCE
E KENTUCKY
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
DE SHELDON RANKINS