All-22 breakdown on Marcell Dareus 2015 season

YoloinOhio

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you thinking?

This is an excellent question. I would like to not only know who, but at what price? Damon Harrison is one of the best in the game playing true NT and he's probably going to be getting $5-$6 million a year either with the Jets or someone else. There are LOTS of guys that are becoming RFA or UFA this year that are on the wrong side of 30 and/or have significant injury issues. B.J. Raji, Ian Williams, Terrence Knighton are a few names I think of.

BJ Radji or Terrance Knighton

Too funny. Saw your post right after my own. LOL.

This is an excellent question. I would like to not only know who, but at what price? Damon Harrison is one of the best in the game playing true NT and he's probably going to be getting $5-$6 million a year either with the Jets or someone else. There are LOTS of guys that are becoming RFA or UFA this year that are on the wrong side of 30 and/or have significant injury issues. B.J. Raji, Ian Williams, Terrence Knighton are a few names I think of.

Too funny. Saw your post right after my own. LOL.

i also see them playing with the FA market at NT and seeing what they can get at a certain price point. But as we all know they can't really "overpay" due to the cap situation so of they don't get one in FA I think they take one in the draft. The FA market for nose tackles typically isn't huge, as you said. Edited by YoloinOhio

i also see them playing with the FA market at NT and seeing what they can get at a certain price point. But as we all know they can't really "overpay" due to the cap situation so of they don't get one in FA I think they take one in the draft. The FA market for nose tackles typically isn't huge, as you said.

Agree 100%. I guess the question of whether a NT may already be on the Bills roster should be asked as well. At the end of the day, I don't see Corbin Bryant or Stefan Charles being NT material. Same problem that I have with Kyle Williams.

Agree 100%. I guess the question of whether a NT may already be on the Bills roster should be asked as well. At the end of the day, I don't see Corbin Bryant or Stefan Charles being NT material. Same problem that I have with Kyle Williams.

they have a backup caliber NT - TJ Barnes. Just need a starter and I agree, those two guys aren't the right fit. Though I like them as depth players and Bryant played well this year behind Kyle.

I think it is important to note that the bills play a rotation with their DL.....this is actually where Williams can provide some value. You dont want him an every down nose but in a rotation I think that might work.

Who are you thinking?

Won't know until the draft unfolds, and free agency begins.

I want them to go offense, either a WR, or an O-lineman. It could be argued that, with this fresh crop of D-lineman, it might be wise to see if there is value at O-line when you pick at 19.

I would rather they concentrate on LB's than D-line, on the defensive side.

Ultimately, it's about finding the players that will help the team the most, regardless of what the strength of the draft is. In fact, with so many good D-lineman, it might be easier to find suitable players at that position, with lower picks.

Marcell Dareus was Buffalo Bills Secret Superstar in 2015- An All-22 Breakdown

http://buildingtheherd.com/all-22-breakdowns/marcell-dareus-buffalo-bills-secret-superstar-on-2015-defense-an-all-22-breakdown/

This is the tip of the iceberg but spot on. Dareus is warren sapp not Vince wilfork.

3-4, 4-3... None of that is or ever was the root problem. It's where the guys line up and what they are responsible for after the snap. All 4 starting d linemen have been so good because they penetrate or get around the edge and disrupt.

Dareus is way to gifted to do gap control and just eat space. Put he and Kyle at 3 and/or 5 and stick a mount jasper in the middle

Not sure why Rex is so stubborn that he believes his system is better than the players that he has.

Ummm, because Rex really is so self-absorbed that it has to be about him and HIS defense, the personnel be damned. He described 2015 as a mixed scheme on defense, but it really was a matter of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The defense showed in 2014 it was very well suited for the 4-3 defense, but Rex could not leave well enough alone and had to impose much of his system on personnel that weren't well suited for it. His lack of success the last 6 years as a head coach speaks for itself.

This is the tip of the iceberg but spot on. Dareus is warren sapp not Vince wilfork.

3-4, 4-3... None of that is or ever was the root problem. It's where the guys line up and what they are responsible for after the snap. All 4 starting d linemen have been so good because they penetrate or get around the edge and disrupt.

Dareus is way to gifted to do gap control and just eat space. Put he and Kyle at 3 and/or 5 and stick a mount jasper in the middle

Agreed...and all of this will also improve LB play

I am not as convinced as many here that the Bills will be going to a true Nose Tackle. Buffalo's Defensive line is one year removed from having 4 guys with 10+ sacks that is pretty damn dominant no matter how you look at it. It will be very hard to keep Mario, so his replacement is likely the top priority. And what a great year to be shopping for a DE. The only way Buffalo goes to a NT is if both Mario and Kyle are cut loose. If either one of them are still here, that line is going to be 4 guys, 2 DTs and 2 DEs. The great thing about our DLine is that Marcel can play nose in a pinch to mix things up. I cannot believe that Ryan is going to completely blow up the line. In fact, I'd be very disappointed if he did.

I'm not convinced the stereo-typical "true" nose tackle is required in Ryan's defense. Like the two-down middle linebacker, that guy is becoming obsolete. You need a DT that can give you quality play in a variety of techniques, especially in our division.

Whether or not Rex Ryan is intractable on that issue, I don't really know. But given how much less he had DTs playing the zero after the bye, I don't think he's that stubborn about it.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe, I don't know, or really care, I just don't want to see high picks go towards D-linemen, when they just finished a season of misusing a good D-line.

If the guys that were here weren't supposed to chase the QB, and the focus of the scheme is the LB's, why draft D-line, when the LB's are the weakest link?

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

I'm not convinced the stereo-typical "true" nose tackle is required in Ryan's defense. Like the two-down middle linebacker, that guy is becoming obsolete. You need a DT that can give you quality play in a variety of techniques, especially in our division.

Whether or not Rex Ryan is intractable on that issue, I don't really know. But given how much less he had DTs playing the zero after the bye, I don't think he's that stubborn about it.

GO BILLS!!!

if they go through the draft for this player, I don't think they will draft a true NT. It will be a DT who can play with versatility including space eating. Reason being, if Rex is gone after this year they won't have wanted to use a draft pick on a guy that might not fit a new D scheme. If they sign a cheap NT to a short term deal in FA, they could indeed use him in that way in some packages. Edited by YoloinOhio

GO BILLS!!!

I'm confused.

I thought Rex was attempting to run hybrid Schwartz's schemes for the earlier part of the season, which to my knowledge, doesn't involve 0 tech DT's. But he was doing less after the bye?

I am not as convinced as many here that the Bills will be going to a true Nose Tackle. Buffalo's Defensive line is one year removed from having 4 guys with 10+ sacks that is pretty damn dominant no matter how you look at it. It will be very hard to keep Mario, so his replacement is likely the top priority. And what a great year to be shopping for a DE. The only way Buffalo goes to a NT is if both Mario and Kyle are cut loose. If either one of them are still here, that line is going to be 4 guys, 2 DTs and 2 DEs. The great thing about our DLine is that Marcel can play nose in a pinch to mix things up. I cannot believe that Ryan is going to completely blow up the line. In fact, I'd be very disappointed if he did.

I cannot say you are wrong until I see what they actually put on the field.....but I know this.....if Marcel has ANY HOPE of getting out of that 2 gap thing they are doing with him and moving him to the 5 tech (where he belongs) they need a space eater at that position.....Marcel needs to be cut loose to go after QBs

Agreed...and all of this will also improve LB play

Good point on LB play - although I was really intrigued with Lawson taking snaps at ILB... He's always been a sick athlete, and allegedly ridiculous smarts. Could he evolve into the field general they lacked? I don't think Brown/Bradham are the right ILBs combination for this scheme.

Good point on LB play - although I was really intrigued with Lawson taking snaps at ILB... He's always been a sick athlete, and allegedly ridiculous smarts. Could he evolve into the field general they lacked? I don't think Brown/Bradham are the right ILBs combination for this scheme.

could Lawson play MLB? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm not the smartest x and o person

i had this dream.

Rex does not care about the front. He wants them to just defend the gaps. Has no love for the big money pass rush.

His thing is to slow down the line of scrimmage so linebackers and safeties can down come clean.

my dream was he trades Dareus for 3 linebackers and a pot roast