25 Years Ago Today The Bills Were Robbed Of SB XXV

Score 20 -19 Giants leading.

:40 time left in the game.

Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly passes the ball to Buffalo Bills tight end Keith McKeller. McKeller catches the ball at the Giants 40 yard line.

The pass is a obvious completion but 10 seconds after McKelller caught the ball the official on the field calls for a review to see if it was a completed pass. You can see in the Youtube video above that the ball was no closer than three inches from the ground.

So, why did the official call for a review? Stopping the game.

Just before the official called for the review of McKeller's obvious catch the Buffalo Bills are lined up in a pass situation, with the receivers to the outside. The Giants pass defense was not ready for the play.

When the play resumed you can hear game television analyst Frank Gifford say "That (review) did give the Giants pass rush a little breather."

And because the Giants pass rush was given the gift of a "little breather" when the Bills lined up again they had a run play to Thurman Thomas who picked up 10 yards but still not in Buffalo Bills kicker Scott Norwood's range.

Analysis: Had the official not called for a review of McKeller's obvious catch, the Bills would have easily gotten off a pass play against the Giants unprepared pass defense. The Bills receivers were lined up to the outside, ready to go out of bounds stopping the clock when (if) the ball was caught. Then the Bills either could have had Thurman Thomas run the ball or tried for pass again. Then the ball would have been well within the FG range for kicker Scott Norwood. Then spike the ball to bring on Norwood.

The Scott Norwood field goal is good.

Final score:

Buffalo Bills - 22

New York Giants - 20

Buffalo Bills - Super Bowl XXV Champions!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the play resumed you can hear game television analyst Frank Gifford say "That (review) did give the Giants pass rush a little breather."

And that "little breather" is all the Giants needed to win the game.

The official had NO REASON to stop the game and review an obvious catch.

The Buffalo Bills were SCREWED out of winning Super Bowl XXV.

The video proves it!!

:censored:

The bills lost that game when the giants WR (can't remember his name / Imgram maybe?) broke about 9 tackles to get a first down on 3rd and forever. I think it was the third quarter.

The official had NO REASON to review an obvious catch by McKeller. None! Other than to give the Giants pass rush a "little breather".

Review the video. The proof is right there.

I forgot about that. When Kelly lined up to take the snap after that catch there were 30 seconds left. After the delay there were 24 seconds. Anybody think the Bills would've tried a fg with 15 seconds on the clock?

Buffalo was denied one offense play.

Moreover, the reason why Frank Gifford said that the Giants were given a "little breather" was because before the whistle was called to review the obvious catch the Bills were lined up for a pass play and the Giants pass defense was in disarray.

Watch the video, it's all right there.

One more Buffalo Bills play on offense would have gotten Scott Norwood into much better FG range.

Disclosure: This is not the first time that I have mentioned this topic on this board. This is the first time that I started a subject on it, though. I noticed this years ago when watching Super Bowl XXV videos.

Buffalo was denied one offense play.

Moreover, the reason why Frank Gifford said that the Giants were given a "little breather" was because before the whistle was called to review the obvious catch the Bills were lined up for a pass play and the Giants pass defense was in disarray.

One more Buffalo Bills play on offense would have gotten Scott Norwood into much better FG range.

Disclosure: This is not the first time that I have mentioned this topic on this board. This is the first time that I started a subject on it, though. I noticed this years ago when watching Super Bowl XXV videos.

I'm not going to get upset about this because if the Bills had taken advantage of their opportunities to make many plays that were there that day, the game would have been sealed long before the last drive. The loss falls squarely on the shoulders of the Bills themselves. No tears or upset whatsoever here.

I'm not going to get upset about this because if the Bills had taken advantage of their opportunities to make many plays that were there that day, the game would have been sealed long before the last drive. The loss falls squarely on the shoulders of the Bills themselves. No tears or upset whatsoever here.

Keith McKeller caught the ball with 40 seconds left on the clock. The video shows it was a clear catch - no reason whatsoever for a review.

But the clock didn't stop until there was 29 seconds left on the clock. Why did the official wait so long to call for the review? Why did the official let so much time off the clock for the review of an obvious catch?

Buffalo Bills fans shouldn't remember "wide right" with regards to Super Bowl XXV.

Buffalo Bills fans should remember "little breather" with regards to Super Bowl XXV.

Buffalo Bills fans shouldn't remember "wide right" with regards to Super Bowl XXV.

Buffalo Bills fans should remember "little breather" with regards to Super Bowl XXV.

after waiting so long for the Bills to get their shot at a Super Bowl, my fondest memory of that evening was Whitney's SSB.

like the Bills, her life soon became a train wreck of squandered talent and opportunity.. time to bury the dead, my friend

Edited by BackInDaDay

The bills lost that game when the giants WR (can't remember his name / Imgram maybe?) broke about 9 tackles to get a first down on 3rd and forever. I think it was the third quarter.

And when they dropped 3d down passes on two possessions in the second quarter when they could have blown the game open and taken the Giants out of their game plan.

The only people who robbed the Bills that day were the Bills.

And when they dropped 3d down passes on two possessions in the second quarter when they could have blown the game open and taken the Giants out of their game plan.

The only people who robbed the Bills that day were the Bills.

Indeed. Those and the ridiculous 3rd & 13 conversion by Mark Ingram with so many missed tackles.

Score 20 -19 Giants leading.

:40 time left in the game.

Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly passes the ball to Buffalo Bills tight end Keith McKeller. McKeller catches the ball at the Giants 40 yard line.

The pass is a obvious completion but 10 seconds after McKelller caught the ball the official on the field calls for a review to see if it was a completed pass. You can see in the Youtube video above that the ball was no closer than three inches from the ground.

So, why did the official call for a review? Stopping the game.

Just before the official called for the review of McKeller's obvious catch the Buffalo Bills are lined up in a pass situation, with the receivers to the outside. The Giants pass defense was not ready for the play.

And because the Giants pass rush was given the gift of a "little breather" when the Bills lined up again they had a run play to Thurman Thomas who picked up 10 yards but still not in Buffalo Bills kicker Scott Norwood's range.

Analysis: Had the official not called for a review of McKeller's obvious catch, the Bills would have easily gotten off a pass play against the Giants unprepared pass defense. The Bills receivers were lined up to the outside, ready to go out of bounds stopping the clock when (if) the ball was caught. Then the Bills either could have had Thurman Thomas run the ball or tried for pass again. Then the ball would have been well within the FG range for kicker Scott Norwood. Then spike the ball to bring on Norwood.

The Scott Norwood field goal is good.

Final score:

Buffalo Bills - 22

New York Giants - 20

Buffalo Bills - Super Bowl XXV Champions!

Btw, if you're looking for a real culprit, look no farther than Al Edwards, whose half assed non-block (top of the screen) meant that Thurman got tackled at the 30 in bounds as opposed to getting tackled at the 20 out of bounds. I've said this for years. If you're looking for one individual player costing that team the game, Al Edwards (#85) is your man. If he had blocked the corner there with any real effort, Thurman makes that play EASILY.
Edited by dave mcbride