Josh Gordon Reinstated to the NFL; Must Serve 4 Game Ban

So Calvin Johnson retires early. And the league bans Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Martavis Bryant....That is 4 elite, electric WR's no longer in the NFL. It is biting off it's nose to spite it's face. End this dogma already

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Calvin Johnson retires early. And the league bans Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Martavis Bryant....That is 4 elite, electric WR's no longer in the NFL. It is biting off it's nose to spite it's face. End this dogma already

Not really... Calvin was invisible last season. No one really cares about those other players.

They were talking about this situation yesterday on NFL radio and one of them went into rant mode. (Nothing unusual, but bear with me a second.) In this rant, he went on to say that he feels sympathy for Gordon. That he felt Gordon had a problem. And then compared it to the Manziel situation and that he felt nothing but anger at Manziel.

The stark contrast of his reaction to the two players (both of whom have serious problems it appears from the outside) was really interesting. And there are a fair share of posts in this thread that suggest the NFL is being too hard on Gordon, the "hey, he just likes smoking some jane" comments and so on.

There could be any number of reasons for these polar opposite reactions. If one can forgive Gordon for his lack of control with smoking weed, then it seems like Manziel ought to be forgiven for his lack of control when it comes to alcohol. But clearly there are other aspects in play. Gordon has exceptional, off-the-charts talent at football. Manziel—meh. Manziel won a Heisman and has pursued (albeit in awkward stumbling steps) a celebrity image. Gordon, not so much. Perhaps Manziel crossed a line when he started beating up Colleen Crowley.

At any rate, it was an interesting contrast. Thoughts?

They were talking about this situation yesterday on NFL radio and one of them went into rant mode. (Nothing unusual, but bear with me a second.) In this rant, he went on to say that he feels sympathy for Gordon. That he felt Gordon had a problem. And then compared it to the Manziel situation and that he felt nothing but anger at Manziel.

The stark contrast of his reaction to the two players (both of whom have serious problems it appears from the outside) was really interesting. And there are a fair share of posts in this thread that suggest the NFL is being too hard on Gordon, the "hey, he just likes smoking some jane" comments and so on.

There could be any number of reasons for these polar opposite reactions. If one can forgive Gordon for his lack of control with smoking weed, then it seems like Manziel ought to be forgiven for his lack of control when it comes to alcohol. But clearly there are other aspects in play. Gordon has exceptional, off-the-charts talent at football. Manziel—meh. Manziel won a Heisman and has pursued (albeit in awkward stumbling steps) a celebrity image. Gordon, not so much. Perhaps Manziel crossed a line when he started beating up Colleen Crowley.

gordon has been arrested once for dui and other than the failed tests stays out of the spotlight. johnny seems to be at the center of several troubling incidents with violence towards a woman and doesn't seem to put in the work at the facility. I don't seem to recall gordon being accused of being lazy at practice.

There could be any number of reasons for these polar opposite reactions. If one can forgive Gordon for his lack of control with smoking weed, then it seems like Manziel ought to be forgiven for his lack of control when it comes to alcohol. But clearly there are other aspects in play. Gordon has exceptional, off-the-charts talent at football. Manzielmeh. Manziel won a Heisman and has pursued (albeit in awkward stumbling steps) a celebrity image. Gordon, not so much. Perhaps Manziel crossed a line when he started beating up Colleen Crowley.

Manziel was hated before the domestic allegations.

The real difference? Manziel's family money meant that he is held to a higher standard by many folks.

Edited by FireChan

gordon has been arrested once for dui and other than the failed tests stays out of the spotlight. johnny seems to be at the center of several troubling incidents with violence towards a woman and doesn't seem to put in the work at the facility. I don't seem to recall gordon being accused of being lazy at practice.

oh, he has definitely been accused of that in practice. And in games. And in general. Edited by YoloinOhio

I have never understood why ganja is illegal but nicotine and alcohol are lawful drugs - even looking at our Great Experiment, prohibition, nothing was helped by making alcohol illegal. Did you know that income tax was actually started by prohibition? The government knew it needed to replace the revenue generated by taxing legal alcohol.

That said, if we follow the train of logic, there are likely a TON of elite electric talents in HS who never get a shot at the NFL because they can't pull together the meager academic credibility to make it onto campus and stay long enough to become draft-eligible or be scouted. The whole system IMHO could use reform. I would like to see a farm system like MLB, where kids with no academic aptitude get drafted right out of high school. Young kids at the lowest farm get placed with host families who provide stability and guidance along with room, board, and loan of a car.

It will never happen, I think, because the whole "my old school" athletic supporter and now cable contracts are just too much for schools to let go. But I think it would be good for everyone - including the NFL teams, who are increasingly frustrated because college QBs aren't learning the systems the pro teams need them to learn.

Manziel was hated before the domestic allegations.

The real difference? Manziel's family money meant that he is held to a higher standard by many folks.

His 'tude definitely irks a lot of people. Manziel simply oozes the smug, entitled vibe. On the other hand, he appears to have an addiction to alcohol. How much does that play a role in the image he has created? Hard to say.

I'm not sure Gordon's teammates would agree that he is committed. He hasn't flamed out as spectacularly, but he has flushed multiple chances.

The stark contrast of his reaction to the two players (both of whom have serious problems it appears from the outside) was really interesting.

I don't feel sympathy for either one. In the one case, if Manziel partied hearty but also worked hard in the film room and on the field, he'd be more sympathetic to me. It was a mistake to draft him - as one person was quoted, nothing about Manziel before the draft said that he wanted to grow up. Gordon, likewise - whatever one's feelings about MJ use and legality, the fact is right now it's a rule, the guy has all the talent in the world and could be set for life if he just follows a few rules, but he can't or won't - no sympathy.

His 'tude definitely irks a lot of people. Manziel simply oozes the smug, entitled vibe.

Manziel does have the whole "affluenza" thing going on, true.

Gordon, likewise - whatever one's feelings about MJ use and legality, the fact is right now it's a rule, the guy has all the talent in the world and could be set for life if he just follows a few rules, but he can't or won't - no sympathy.

If he followed rules for a few years he'd have enough weed to smoke for rest of his life in another country where it was legal. Problem is the smoking of the weed is interfering with his thinking.