Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

But my whole questioning of your perspective is that you are trying to apply retrospect now to things knowing what happened after he opted out.

I don't doubt Marrone was an !@#$. But none of what you have said in any way indicates that the players didn't respect him whilst he was here. And the ultimate litmus test of that for me is on the football field and they played in my opinion harder than any other Bills team I have watched.

You want to dismiss that, that is fine, I accept your different perspective. We are all influenced by our experiences I suppose my view is bound to be clouded by my experience as a Head Coach in another sport. But I can't unlearn those biases.

I am not sticking up for Marrone to be anti-Rex Ryan either. Nor am I saying I wish Marrone was still here. I simply give what is my honest opinion based on my perception of 2014. I think it is the most likely scenario based on the evidence you take a different view.

But of course I am! We couldn't possibly know what was going on at the time; we simply heard the stories, read the quotes, and thought to ourselves, "hmm...I hope that's nothing." In retrospect, it appears it was indeed "something."

We clearly have different definitions of the word "respect." I can have zero respect for my boss and still do the best work I can do because (a) it's just who I am (integrity) or (b) I don't want to be fired (benched) or ridiculed.

You say Marrone could be an ass and still have the respect of his players. While that is theoretically true, the combination of what has happened since he left, along with 20/20 hindsight as to what occurred while he was here, lead to a different conclusion.

We can agree to disagree.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one at OBD agrees with this. In fact, they actually went even further the opposite way--they doubled down on the Ryan genius, because one wasn't enough.

I know they didn't/don't agree with me and I wasn't happy at the time, again believing they should have kept the good coaches of the team, i.e. Schwartz and his defensive staff, and hired an offensive-minded HC. I said Rex would have to win me over by at least keeping the defense the same, and hopefully improve it, and improving on last season. He didn't and I've voiced my displeasure. I'm also not happy with the hiring of his brother. As I see it, Rex has just this season to get the team to the playoffs or he's gone.

... and a front office that resisted bring in Orton (a journeyman made EJ look weak)

Where do yall get this from? According to everything I've read Doug had been trying to sign Kyle for months before he finally was able to coax him out of retirement. One example: http://fansided.com/2014/09/05/doug-marrone-upset-bills-front-office-signed-kyle-orton/

Per Graham, the Bills have been attempting to sign him ever since thanks to the rough offseason turned in by Thad Lewis, but reports as recent as August 4 held that Orton was considering retirement from football.

Where do yall get this from? According to everything I've read Doug had been trying to sign Kyle for months before he finally was able to coax him out of retirement. One example: http://fansided.com/2014/09/05/doug-marrone-upset-bills-front-office-signed-kyle-orton/

there were multiple narratives spinning around at the time. First, it was that Marrone was coddling EJ and didn't want him to have legit competition. Then it was that he was yelling at Whaley on the field at TC because he wanted another QB and he only brought in Jordan Palmer. I'm thinking it was the latter, as we saw the season unfold, but that the FO wasn't resisting signing Orton it was more that they were trying to sign him but he didn't want to go to camp. Marrone was seemingly pissed they couldn't get him sooner.

Doug Marrone resurrected the Bills and the Orange, both were at the bottom and he got them playing tough football again. He rubbed some people the wrong way but he has a Bill Parcels coaching style that is a little abrasive. Coach M will land another job, the guy is an effective coach.

Doug Marrone resurrected the Bills and the Orange, both were at the bottom and he got them playing tough football again. He rubbed some people the wrong way but he has a Bill Parcels coaching style that is a little abrasive. Coach M will land another job, the guy is an effective coach.

Have you met mojo44 yet?

Maddog Sport morning NFL weekly is a great listen if anyone has Sirius.

Topic on Marrone was suppose to be 10 minutes but lasted almost 45 minutes.

Major reason for not being hired

VERY combative with General Managers and "disliked" by players everywhere. Buffalo's GM is said to put the word out about him. They are saying that Dareus and Woods got into Marrone's face when he degraded Hughes in practice one day.

Zimmerman called him a huge cancer. Said it was a dream come true in Buffalo upper management to get rid of this guy at any cost! All said that if Marrone is not hired this season then he should head back to college ranks. Zimmerman even said that his trust and credibility is so bad that Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated that the only way he would consider Marrone is if he would sign a deal where pay is based on his ability to preform, coach, and his ability to get along with management/players (Yuck). Also it was said Eagles were the ONLY team to take a serious look at Marrone because he is unproven and hated by staff/players in Buffalo. Buffalos D was mostly in place before he arrived and had nothing to do with Buffalo's D anyways.

Bottom line, they went off on topic by saying the guy is a proven micro manager and cancer.

Good luck Mr Marrone.....

Did anyone notice John Clayton's comments on Marrone 1 or 2 airings ago on GR-55?

He was asked about Marrone and he indicated that the then-reported interest around the league in Marrone was "real" and that he really thought this was his time to be hired as a head coach.

I listen to Clayton every week on GR-55. He talks a thousand miles an hour but often says little, and is often flat out wrong in his "insider take" on NFL current events.

He was also clearly suggesting that Whaley would be fired a few shows ago too, which we now know is just another flat out wrong take.

Did anyone ever see the movie Promise Land with Matt Damone. It about a Company that wants to buy this land in Penn. for the purpose of fracking. When someone in the town, starts to question weather it would be a good idea. The company sends in an undercover agent to pretend he is helping the towns people fight this big gas company, but what he really doing is setting up this false information so he can be caught in a lie, and then the towns people wont trust him. so in the end the gas company sends him in to make sure they get what they want.

This is what Pegula did, we wanted Marrone out, but could not fire the only coach that has lead the team to a winning season in years. So through his friends in the sports agency business they created this idea that Marrone was in high demand, leaked it to the press, so Doug would opt out on his own. Terry made his big slash, Doug continued to be what Doug is, and the rest is history.