Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

You can be a prick but the men have to follow you too. Some coaches the players love some the players don't but the good ones on either side of that get respected by their players. That never happened for Marrone.

That's exactly it. Being an **** toward secretaries and other support staff makes you a first ballet **** hall of fame inductee. You can't be a mean, vindictive, condescending, arrogant prick to your team, in football or the office. You need to treat your team with respect BUT hold them accountable, and do it with some level of professionalism. It's not Marine boot camp. I hated working for guys like this and no longer do nor ever would. They don't inspire. And in this guy's case, who would accept that attitude given he was an unaccomplished college coach? Seriously, do you think Marrone earned one ounce of respect from those players if what everyone has said it true? If you come in from Syracuse with a halfwit OC, a ragtag staff, and a 25-25 record, does that gain instant credibility and respect? I doubt it. So he had to earn it and it doesn't seem like he did. And when you quit and these rumors start circulating, you're done, as it should be. What team needs that given his less than stellar track record. The answer is none.

I will say that you can be a prick to outsiders who have no impact on your team or organization. Look at Belichek. He's a total prick to the media and everyone assumes he's that way with his players but by accounts he's not. He holds them accountable and responsible and doesn't need to be a prick. And the only ones who care about his persona are outside the organization and the cavalcade of haters here. I think he's created this "us vs them" mentality in the lockerroom and the prick in the media works well with players who see him as their leader and voice in the media. Obviously.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that I buy that Marrone never earned respect or that his men never played for him. In my 13 years watching the Bills the 2014 team played the hardest of any team in that period. If they didn't respect the coach I struggle to believe that they would have done.

I come across as a Marrone lover - and I don't mean to - he is an incomplete as a Head Coach because of his own doing. There is plenty about the man to disapprove of, but I kind of think the open season on him is pretty unfair.

I'm not sure that I buy that Marrone never earned respect or that his men never played for him. In my 13 years watching the Bills the 2014 team played the hardest of any team in that period. If they didn't respect the coach I struggle to believe that they would have done.

I come across as a Marrone lover - and I don't mean to - he is an incomplete as a Head Coach because of his own doing. There is plenty about the man to disapprove of, but I kind of think the open season on him is pretty unfair.

Well, the offense played like dogschitt so if we're talking defense it's entirely possible those players liked, respected, and played hard for Jim Schwartz. Remember carrying him off the field in Dee-twah? I wouldn't be so quick to give Marrone credit for the effort of the defense.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it. First I think the offense was playing hard.... it just didn't execute and the scheme was without question a part of that but the effort was there. Secondly, whilst there is no bigger Schwartz fan than me, I have been in a lot of locker rooms in my life. I have never witnessed a team that didn't respect its HC and yet busted its balls every week for the win. It is your choice to believe that if you wish - but I certainly can't buy that. Not impossible but seems fanciful based on my experience.

Well, the offense played like dogschitt so if we're talking defense it's entirely possible those players liked, respected, and played hard for Jim Schwartz. Remember carrying him off the field in Dee-twah? I wouldn't be so quick to give Marrone credit for the effort of the defense.

I'm sorry I just don't buy it. First I think the offense was playing hard.... it just didn't execute and the scheme was without question a part of that but the effort was there. Secondly, whilst there is no bigger Schwartz fan than me, I have been in a lot of locker rooms in my life. I have never witnessed a team that didn't respect its HC and yet busted its balls every week for the win. It is your choice to believe that if you wish - but I certainly can't buy that. Not impossible but seems fanciful based on my experience.

i didn't see it every week. TNF in Miami, San Diego, Oakland come to mind. Whole team looked bad. Orton didn't play his heart out in Denver on that third and slide.

i didn't see it every week. TNF in Miami, San Diego, Oakland come to mind. Whole team looked bad. Orton didn't play his heart out in Denver on that third and slide.

There is a difference between playing bad and not trying. I take the Orton slide.... I think Orton had checked out at the end that is true... but other than that I thought the team played hard every game, even games where they were bad.

There is a difference between playing bad and not trying. I take the Orton slide.... I think Orton had checked out at the end that is true... but other than that I thought the team played hard every game, even games where they were bad.

And I know the topic has come up here quite a bit over the past six weeks or so as we continue to debate the merits of coaching: but you say no team played harder than Marrone's. I'll submit the 2006-08 Jauron teams as a rebuttal. Those squads were entirely bereft of talent, but particularly the defense went hard, every week.

i thought they barely looked like they knew there was a game in Miami - particularly on the offensive side - but perceptions are different Edited by YoloinOhio

Marrone's gone. Oh well. Time for some people to move on. Geez. We're on a 2-3 year HC cycle so I expect the Bills to have a new HC by the end of the 2016-17 season.

Who do you think will be our next 2 year coach?

The Bills (and every other NFL franchise) will be on 2-3 year HC cycles until they find a legitimate starting QB. It really is that simple. If Tyrod is that guy, expect Rex to be around for the length of his contract (at least).

And I know the topic has come up here quite a bit over the past six weeks or so as we continue to debate the merits of coaching: but you say no team played harder than Marrone's. I'll submit the 2006-08 Jauron teams as a rebuttal. Those squads were entirely bereft of talent, but particularly the defense went hard, every week.

And of course perception comes into it. I don't agree. But because of how I perceived the 2014 to have played I cannot believe that the players had zero respect for Marrone.

Was he an ass? Sure he was. Doesn't mean he had no respect and does not make him a bad Head Coach. He may have been a bad HC for numerous other reasons.

The Bills (and every other NFL franchise) will be on 2-3 year HC cycles until they find a legitimate starting QB. It really is that simple. If Tyrod is that guy, expect Rex to be around for the length of his contract (at least).

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud. Edited by YoloinOhio

It is indeed rare that a team sticks with a HC if they don't make the playoffs within a couple years. It's kinda nuts.

And of course perception comes into it. I don't agree. But because of how I perceived the 2014 to have played I cannot believe that the players had zero respect for Marrone.

Was he an ass? Sure he was. Doesn't mean he had no respect and does not make him a bad Head Coach. He may have been a bad HC for numerous other reasons.

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

Whether Tyrod is the guy, this team's still going 8-8, 9-7ish anyways. So regardless Rex is gone IMO. Tyrod can throw for 3500 yds, 25 TD, 10 INT and rush for 600 yds, and 7 TDs and this team will still miss the playoffs. It don't matter.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud.

You and I are clearly simpatico on the matter. But as for the bolded, I think SDS had to install new servers for this site to house all claims to the contrary!! :lol:

Whether Tyrod is the guy, this team's still going 8-8, 9-7ish anyways. So regardless Rex is gone IMO. Tyrod can throw for 3500 yds, 25 TD, 10 INT and rush for 600 yds, and 7 TDs and this team will still miss the playoffs. It don't matter.

Where were you last week when we all needed Power Ball numbers!?

You may not believe it yet it may still be the case. How many Bills came out after Marrone quit and expressed disappointment? Zero. The vocal players took their parting shots, and the more reserved players simply kept their mouths shut. Based upon my observations Marrone didn't coach from a position of respect, he coached from a position of "I'm the boss and what I say goes." This "playing hard" thing is overblown. You're an NFL pro, you like your teammates (and position coaches), and you play hard. It's your job.

Every team has a rallying point, and I feel like they actually were playing hard DESPITE their head coach, not because of him.

He tried to take a militant role, which can work, but he never earned his teams respect. Therefore, they turned on him and rallied around their strong defense and DC.

Edited by Captain_Quint

i have always been one to think that NFL success is more about the players than the HC. And in particular the QB. I haven't seen much different to think otherwise. So I don't get hung up on the HC issue. But can't stand Marrone because he's a fraud.

I agree Yolo. It is about the QBs. Look at all the coaches that are considered great by fans & media and then look who their QB was. Off the top of my head, the only exception I can think of is Joe Gibbs. There are very few coaches who have been failures who had an elite QB.