A treatise on a new stadium

Beerball

Those are awesome seats! I happen to be an aisle freak. Can't stand being trapped in the middle. Went to an Atlanta Hawks game last year stuck in the middle with zero leg room. I literally walked the entire second half as I was too claustrophobic to return to my seat. One of the guys with me walked too. I'll pay a premium for the aisle. That was a big factor in my seat choice for the Titans game this year. Do they charge differently for aisle vs right in the middle? I bet they could. (At least with me!)

They don't but there are a few teams throughout sports that do.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called park and ride. Try it.

Do you realize that next season the Bills will play in the 4th oldest stadium in the NFL, and that's already undergone a major renovation? The ones that are older are Soldier Field, Lambeau field and Arrowhead Stadium. All of these have significantly more history associated with them than RWS.

Also, I hear what your saying and don't want to shoot the messenger, but I have to point out that you may be biased in a discussion about moving the stadium.

Vin... what history does Arrowhead have over the Ralph?

The Ralph is paid for.

I ran the numbers. A low estimate for the LA stadium is 1.4 billion.

I used a mortgage calculator (I know not the best tool for this but it's all I had):

• 1.4 billion
  • 3.92% interest
  • 20 years
  • Monthly payment came out to 8.4 million

In the unlikely event that 8.4 mil can be found, I'd rather it be spent on something else.

I don't see a new stadium.** They couldn't build a signature Peace Bridge because environmentalist said "endangered birds" will fly into the suspension wires and die. They couldn't even agree to a non-signature bridge.

** unless Pegs built it on his own, I think that is unlikely

The Ralph is paid for.

I ran the numbers. A low estimate for the LA stadium is 1.4 billion.

I used a mortgage calculator (I know not the best tool for this but it's all I had):

• 1.4 billion
  • 3.92% interest
  • 20 years
  • Monthly payment came out to 8.4 million

In the unlikely event that 8.4 mil can be found, I'd rather it be spent on something else.

I don't see a new stadium.** They couldn't build a signature Peace Bridge because environmentalist said "endangered birds" will fly into the suspension wires and die. They couldn't even agree to a non-signature bridge.

** unless Pegs built it on his own, I think that is unlikely

It will almost certainly be a combination of public and private funding

IF there is a new stadium, and IF it's Downtown, don't sweat the tailgating. We had tailgating at the Rockpile. We would tailgate on the school bus to/from the game.

They mostly used to leave from local taverns, and they were always well stocked. Everyone smoked and I never remember anyone setting themselves on fire either.

It's called park and ride. Try it.

Do you realize that next season the Bills will play in the 4th oldest stadium in the NFL, and that's already undergone a major renovation? The ones that are older are Soldier Field, Lambeau field and Arrowhead Stadium. All of these have significantly more history associated with them than RWS.

Also, I hear what your saying and don't want to shoot the messenger, but I have to point out that you may be biased in a discussion about moving the stadium.

How can you say I'm bias any more than some one who lives anywhere than the south towns? I thought Arrowhead and the Ralph were built roughly at the same time.

It will almost certainly be a combination of public and private funding

Do tell where are the public dollars coming from. The city can't pay the police, Erie County county executive is in favor of remodeling the Ralph, NYS you think the NYcity pols will kickin any $$ for upstate, I don't think so.

Do tell where are the public dollars coming from. The city can't pay the police, Erie County county executive is in favor of remodeling the Ralph, NYS you think the NYcity pols will kickin any $$ for upstate, I don't think so.

They are kicking in money now. I cant imagine that the Pegula's are going to do this on their own. They will do what every owner does and leverage the community. No city is in great financial shape but they always finds a way. St. Louis just pledged over a billion and they are a mess. Keep in mind they had the gun to their head but you get the point. I think that we will be looking at $400M public and the rest private.

Yes.. I believe BBF is right. Pegs would be copacetic to tailgating.

The recent Youtube videos of tailgating Bills fans being complete Bevis/Buttheads to the power of 10, doesn't help.

I know a lot of residents (fans and non fans of the bills) are disgusted by their antics. Look at me, look at me heck the 26 year old guy from Deprw aka Wizzer bat activially contacted media to promote himself. What can be done to stop this. Who knows. Set up a sign banding this stuff get caught lose tickets to game? Any one under the age of 30 has to have one of their parents take them to the game?

They are kicking in money now. I cant imagine that the Pegula's are going to do this on their own. They will do what every owner does and leverage the community. No city is in great financial shape but they always finds a way. St. Louis just pledged over a billion and they are a mess. Keep in mind they had the gun to their head but you get the point. I think that we will be looking at $400M public and the rest private.

I thought St Louis kickin was $400 billion. Stadium total was pegged at $1 billion Edited by Hammered a Lot

They don't but there are a few teams throughout sports that do.

Is there more seating room and comfort in Jerry's palace in Dallas? I'm so tired of being cramped in seats. Don't get me started about being cramped on flights!!! And I don't have the expansive girth that many people have.

I have a feeling a new stadium isnt going to happen. Tons of tax dollars have been poured into the city and I cant see anymore coming our way anytime soon- not that I am against a new stadium but fiscally it isnt the best move.

Totally agree. I think all that stadium talk pre-purchase was for the confirmation process. We already have a stadium that suits our needs pretty well.

Even if NY pays a decent percentage, I don't see how a new stadium could net them more.

I thought St Louis kickin was $400 billion. Stadium total was pegged at $1 billion

That is close to right (my bad). The city is kicking in $150M, they think $300M from the NFL (but they have a limit of $200M), $250M from Kroenke and $160M for seat licenses. The state is paying the rest and I think that the tab is $1.1M. It leaves the public financing portion at $390M but if the NFL only kicks in their rule of $200M that makes it $490M (plus any potential overages or shortfall from the PSLs). In addition, the Edward Jones dome was 100% publicly financed just 21 years ago.

Is there more seating room and comfort in Jerry's palace in Dallas? I'm so tired of being cramped in seats. Don't get me started about being cramped on flights!!! And I don't have the expansive girth that many people have.

I don't know; I haven't been there. I have heard that it is pretty amazing though (besides for the product).

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to want the new stadium. It's going to be downtown and tailgating will be a shell of what it is now. Also higher ticket prices and more traffic. I think we need to enjoy the Ralph while we can

Totally agree. A new stadium in the city will change everything. Tickets prices much higher that what they are now, parking decks instead of grass lots, no tailgating remotely like you see now... be careful what you ask for. Savor every last minute at the Ralph. You'll never see the likes of it again.

I don't know; I haven't been there. I have heard that it is pretty amazing though (besides for the product).

Now that the owner sold the naming rights for the stadium and more events are being booked is the cash flow comfortably handling the debt load? There were critics while the project was being worked on and the costs were increasing who were questioning whether the generated revenue could handle the mushrooming debt.

Jerry thinks big and acts big. I know you have a good grasp on sport revenues and financing. Just curious??

Now that the owner sold the naming rights for the stadium and more events are being booked is the cash flow comfortably handling the debt load? There were critics while the project was being worked on and the costs were increasing who were questioning whether the generated revenue could handle the mushrooming debt.

Jerry thinks big and acts big. I know you have a good grasp on sport revenues and financing. Just curious??

I hear they make a killing on the rental of binoculars in the upper decks.

other issues that may not have been discussed:

• What gets done with the current Bills compound, especially the stadium?
  • Who maintains it if not demolished?
  • Who pays for demolition?
  • Would there be sufficient revenue if its kept as a venue as cover the costs in keeping it maintained (or does it just become a money pit for the county or blighted property)?
  • Can it be rehabilitated for use as private land?
  • What happens to the businesses that have been built up based upon proximity to the stadium?
Edited by mbossman2

other issues that may not have been discussed:

• What gets done with the current Bills compound, especially the stadium?
  • Who maintains it if not demolished?
  • Who pays for demolition?
  • Would there be sufficient revenue if its kept as a venue as cover the costs in keeping it maintained (or does it just become a money pit for the county or blighted property)?
  • Can it be rehabilitated for use as private land?
  • What happens to the businesses that have been built up based upon proximity to the stadium?

What gets done with the current Bills compound, especially the stadium?

• Who maintains it if not demolished? (THE COUNTY OF ERIE OWNS IT)
  • Who pays for demolition? (ERIE COUNTY TAXPAYERS)
  • Would there be sufficient revenue if its kept as a venue as cover the costs in keeping it maintained (or does it just become a money pit for the county or blighted property)? (NO)
  • Can it be rehabilitated for use as private land? (OF COURSE)
  • What happens to the businesses that have been built up based upon proximity to the stadium? (THEY LOSE VALUE)

when HSBS opened, there was a written understanding that the old "aud" would/could not compete. I would assume the same will apply to a new multi use stadium.

the only viable option would be to continue to use it as a practice facility for the Bills. any other use would go to the new stadium.