What are the chances Drew doesn't play

stevestojan

Anyone think this primadonna attitude of "I won't be a backup, especially to a guy like JP" attitude might make Drew have a lot of time off next year? It seems every team that needs a starting QB is in the process of aquiring someone else. And if Drew said he won't be a backup here (on "his team") why would he be a backup elsewhere?

A true kick in the nuts that would be....

It wouldn't suprise me if he retired.

243588[/snapback]

I think Brees being franchised means he will be traded (Dallas?). Doors are closing for Drew and it will be a huge chunk of pride to swallow to be a backup on a team after he wouldnt do it here.

I wouldn't call it a prima-donna attitude. Some guys just don't want to go that route. Does anyone think that Jim Kelly would have ever been a backup? Of course not...he said so himself. I think Drew would rather sit out the year than be a backup.

I wouldn't call it a prima-donna attitude.  Some guys just don't want to go that route.  Does anyone think that Jim Kelly would have ever been a backup?  Of course not...he said so himself.  I think Drew would rather sit out the year than be a backup.

243596[/snapback]

I like you Duey, but I think i just saw you compare Drew Bledsoe to Jim Kelly.

I'll let it slide.

Does anyone think that Jim Kelly would have ever been a backup?  Of course not...he said so himself.  I think Drew would rather sit out the year than be a backup.

243596[/snapback]

there's no chance in hell anyone would consider Jim Kelly backup material

it's easy to see with Bledsoe though

I think it depends on how assured he wants/needs to be that he's the starting QB. I could easily see him going to a team like Dallas, being named starter & when/if the offense struggles, being replaced (Hanson or if vINTie sticks around).

Considering the shortage of good QB's in the NFL, I think some team will sign him as their starter.

I'd like to see him go to Baltimore only cause they have a good running back and a good OL. It would be a good test to see if some (or alot ) of his problem were related to the line he had in Buffalo as many people felt. If he can't succeed there, then he better give up.

No one is giving Drew a starting job without a high-caliber young QB waiting in the wings. Cleveland is the only AFC team I can think of but you gotta think they will go QB in the 1st round. They are miles away from contending so I can't see why they wouldn't take their lumps getting the rookie ready. There's Chicago and Dallas in the NFC. Testaverde is better than Drew and I can't imagine they would trade one re-tread for another and waste another year at the position. Chicago might work for Drew if they are writing Grossman off. But I would rather find out what I have in Grossman once and for all then waste time with Bledsoe on the field. There's Arizona but I don't think Green is lying that he's not interested. Maybe San Francisco. The owner is cheap and Drew might put some people in the stands, but if they go QB in round 1, see Cleveland above.

Actually, his quote was "particularly for J.P."

Why particularly for J.P.?

If Dallas isn't interested and Drew doesn't want to be a backup, then I'd say his playing days are over. When it comes down to it, he probably will land as a No. 2 somewhere. There are worse things in the world than getting paid $2M to analyze film, make fart jokes in the scout team huddle, and hold a clipboard on Sundays. Much worse things.

I wouldn't call it a prima-donna attitude.  Some guys just don't want to go that route.  Does anyone think that Jim Kelly would have ever been a backup?  Of course not...he said so himself.  I think Drew would rather sit out the year than be a backup.

243596[/snapback]

Jim Kelly - Drew Bledsoe - not the same guy. Great quarterbacks will not be back ups. Average quarterbacks with long tenures that have racked up numbers just because they have been in the league soooo long ala Vinny Testaverdy, Steve Deberg etc. etc. should be backups.

I can understand Bledsoe taking either stance: wanting to be a starter and nothing else or wanting to extend out his career as long as possible.

Taking the latter route means that he can move on with his life and taking the former is understandable in that he loves the game so much he doesn't care what capacity in which he is involved.

If he's a starter some where, I'll be cheering for him to succeed if it doens't hurt the Bills, just like I rooted for Todd Collins and Rob Johnson in their very limited roles post-Buffalo. I never feel like these players we want gone aren't trying to suck, they just can't help it. I have no problem with them turning it around somewhere else.

I'll be cheering for him to succeed if it doens't hurt the Bills, just like I rooted for Todd Collins and Rob Johnson in their very limited roles post-Buffalo.

243991[/snapback]

You rooted for Rob Johnson? :devil:

I'm not sure I've been happier watching football over the last few years than I was when virtually every BILL in the front seven sacked him on his first passing attempt against us.

Drew is going to live his life on his terms.

The ability to live your life on your own terms is one of the most incredible things a person can do. I'd be willing to bet there is not a person here who would not choose to live their life on their own terms if they were given the chance.

It's an admirable thing to do, and if that means Drew is done, then I believe his attitude is "So be it."

You rooted for Rob Johnson?  :devil:

I'm not sure I've been happier watching football over the last few years than I was when virtually every BILL in the front seven sacked him on his first passing attempt against us.

243994[/snapback]

Yeah, also did so for Doug Fluite for some reason. Not sure why, I just got used to it. I felt bad for Johnson during those pathetic efforts in TB and with the Raiders.