What are the chances Drew doesn't play

stevestojan

There is a storage of Quality QBs in the NFL, I can think of a couple of teams that would consider starting Beldsoe if the price were right.

Chicago, Dallas, and Cleveland might be very interested.

244121[/snapback]

I agree! There are a few teams out there that could use something better than what they have. Bledsoe brought us back from a very dark place (RJ), he could do that again for someone else.

I think he will get scooped up pretty quick, and then easily beat out some crappy QB in pre-season. I don't think Bledsoe is a terrible QB, he is mediocre at best. Mediocre is not going to get you to the Super Bowl, which the Bills coaching staff recognized. JP might not be the answer, but at least it is a might not. Drew Bledsoe is not the answer, we know that and don't want him as a starter anymore. Some other team may see Drew for what he is and use him to get through the next few years until they find their solution.

I actually think between the shortage of marquee QBs in the NFL, the false perception that you need a marquee QB to win in this league, and the marketing machine of the NFL and most teams that easily tries and does sell water to a drowning man that Bledsoe should be able to make out financially like a bandit from getting cut by the Bills.

I saw one article in a Texas paper which talked excitedly about Bledsoe replacing Vinny Testaverde (I don't know about getting excited about Bledsoe coming in, but certainly replacing Vinny is something to be excited about) and about him mentoring Drew Henson who obviously needs a lot of help and ain't ready yet. It talked about signing Bledsoe for millions which will be prorated over the at least 2 years (if ever) that Henson will need to be mentored.

This sounds logical to meand think about it finacially be for Drew.

1. His NE contract bonus is accelerated and done as far as the NFL cares and Bledsoe already has the bonus, but the amount of this contract "for life" was set based on a yearly rate for Bledsoe which I think (I may be wrong) works out to $3-4 million a year.

2. The Bills contract is now accelerated and the bonus is already paid out to Drew at about $2 million a year this year and next,

3. If Bledsoe were to receive a contract from Dallas which paid at the same rate the Bills were scheduled to give himit would amount to a cap hit of $6.5 million.

I suspect the market will reward Bledsoe for getting cut with a contract similar in annual payment to his Bills deal and if you add in all the accelerated bonuses he will not only pocket another $6 million this year but he will be getting paid at an annual rate of about $12 million.

Not bad, I wish I was laid off like that.

Finances aside, in terms of on the field stuff signing Bledsoe would likely improve the Dallas team and their W/L this year. Improve means not that they would be good or even adequate, just simply that they will be better running a new O with no tape on them for awhile managed by Parcells. As bad as many Bills fans wanted to feel about Bledsoe, Dallas' QB situation was a train wreck and even worse. Again having a QB that they are committed to even though it is Bledsoe will not make things adequate but it will almost certainly make things better.

I think that the work which MM/Clements did with Bledsoe will help Dallas and Parcells immensely. it was a good reminder that just because running is far from Bledsoe's best game that doesn't mean that he can't be used as a runner at all. Even if folks want to deny reality, Bledsoe did pull off a nice fake and pitch on a QB sneak leading to a WM TD. Bledsoe did hit Evans for TDs a couple of time rolling out, and Bledsoe even ran the QB blitz successfully on 2 and 9 or so after WM got stoned on 1st down and the LBs blitzed wide on Bledsoe selling out to the passing play and leaving the center of the field open to an easy QB draw setting up a 3rd and short yardage.

A team cannot depend on Bledsoe to earn his money running, but to not run Bledsoe at all make his passing game less effective.