AFC Wildcard game 2: Steelers at Bengals

YoloinOhio

Assistant coaches on the field during an injury time out are at the discretion of the refs. Considering all that was going on after Burfect's hit on Brown, an assistant coach on the field might not have even registered on the refs radar.

i suspect the rules committee will bring this up for discussion in the offseason

He shouldn't be on the field. Period He has nothing to do with Antonio Brown. The assistant ST coach has more right to be on the field than Joey Porter. It's against the rules and he's going to be fined by the NFL.

No excuse for Pacman though.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistant coaches on the field during an injury time out are at the discretion of the refs. Considering all that was going on after Burfect's hit on Brown, an assistant coach on the field might not have even registered on the refs radar.

i suspect the rules committee will bring this up for discussion in the offseason

The linebacker coach did NOT need to be on the field for an injured Wide Receiver.

The discretion of the referees?

The same refs who stood at midfield to separate the teams pregame ?

or that already flagged one Pitt coach ?

Competent, experienced (Playoff Game worthy) referees would have recognized the reason that 'Coach' Porter was out there.

They both should have been flagged...........Not complicated..

That way the Steelers would not have been artificially moved into the position to win the game.

The linebacker coach did NOT need to be on the field for an injured Wide Receiver.

The discretion of the referees?

The same refs who stood at midfield to separate the teams pregame ?

or that already flagged one Pitt coach ?

Competent, experienced (Playoff Game worthy) referees would have recognized the reason that 'Coach' Porter was out there.

They both should have been flagged...........Not complicated..

That way the Steelers would not have been artificially moved into the position to win the game.

Porter didn't push a ref. Pacman did.

That's why there was a flag.

PORTER WAS LEGALLY ALLOWED ON THE FIELD to attend to an injured player.

Injured by a dirty hit by the opposing team no less.

Some of you guys just don't understand that penalties are called because of rules.

The players know the rules.

Fines are levied subjectively...........and that is the only way to handle it.

End of story.

No, some of us actually do.

That's why there was a flag.

I post again, NFL Rule 9-8-1i (unsportsmanlike conduct by non-players) Being on the field except as a substitute or a replaced player Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yard penalty

That's why there was a that flag.

Sorry to correct you sir, but that is the point.

Pacman's flag WAS well earned.

'Coach' Porter could have been also flagged for his part and was not.

A referee who understood the situation would have done so.

Edited by B-Man

I post again, NFL Rule 9-8-1i (unsportsmanlike conduct by non-players) Being on the field except as a substitute or a replaced player Unsportsmanlike Conduct 15 yard penalty

This doesn't apply when there is an injury on the field, it's up to the ref's discretion. I'm not at all arguing Porter wasn't aggravating the situation, he was, but the situation was also under control. The refs were there, backing Porter away, then Pacman PUSHES A REF TO THROW A PUNCH.

They always get the second guy, and they ALWAYS get a guy who touches a ref.

People need to go back and look at the actual game tape of what happened. It's not as if Porter was throwing blows, he was calm and being walked away by the refs.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

This doesn't apply when there is an injury on the field, it's up to the ref's discretion. I'm not at all arguing Porter wasn't aggravating the situation, he was, but the situation was also under control. The refs were there, backing Porter away, then Pacman PUSHES A REF TO THROW A PUNCH.

People need to go back and look at the actual game tape of what happened. It's not as if Porter was throwing blows, he was calm and being walked away by the refs.

I'm not excusing Pacman, because obviously he was wrong and deserved the penalty. But it's impossible that he went after Porter for no reason.

I'm not excusing Pacman, because obviously he was wrong and deserved the penalty. But it's impossible that he went after Porter for no reason.

I'm not excusing Porter either, just saying there's no way any ref was going to throw a flag. The game had been stopped for an injury for a good amount of time. Lots of coaches were on the field for both teams. And, the refs were walking Porter away when the crap hit the fan. He's not blameless, but the Bungles deserved to lose that game. Porter's actions didn't cost the game, nor did the refs not flagging him.

Porter was trash talking the Bengals and isn't without guilt

That said, it was the refs discretion to let him on the field. And even if they had flagged Porter for being on the field, the physical contact with a ref should take priority on enforcement

It applies unless you are a head coach, trainer, or medical personnel. An assistant coach with a history of taunting Bengals players runs on the field with no intention to comfort or aid a down player should have been penalized.

It applies unless you are a head coach, trainer, or medical personnel. An assistant coach with a history of taunting Bengals players runs on the field with no intention to comfort or aid a down player should have been penalized.

You realize the Bengals had coaches on the field too right? And the Porter wasn't the only Steeler coach on the field. The game was stopped, for a long time, there were lots of people on the field who normally shouldn't be.

Again, not excusing Porter, but the lack of a flag there didn't cost the Bengals the game. The Bengals cost themselves the game.

I'm not excusing Porter either, just saying there's no way any ref was going to throw a flag. The game had been stopped for an injury for a good amount of time. Lots of coaches were on the field for both teams. And, the refs were walking Porter away when the crap hit the fan. He's not blameless, but the Bungles deserved to lose that game.

Porter's actions didn't cost the game,

nor did the refs not flagging him.

Sorry DR, I have to strongly disagree.

You will note that Pitt Coach chose to not even run another play, but kick the 35 yarder FOR THE WIN.

would he have done so from 50 yards (without another play ?.......very doubtful.

and who knows what happens then ?

A Referee worthy of starting a playoff game SHOULD have known how to handle that situation and not have moved Pitt 15 yards more

(Yes, Pacman was guilty)

Edited by B-Man

You realize the Bengals had coaches on the field too right? And the Porter wasn't the only Steeler coach on the field. The game was stopped, for a long time, there were lots of people on the field who normally shouldn't be.

Again, not excusing Porter, but the lack of a flag there didn't cost the Bengals the game. The Bengals cost themselves the game.

Ultimately, you cannot hit a Ref, and especially en route to trying to throw a punch. They had to call that.

I guarantee that Porter was taunting the Bengals and that Pacman would NOT have done what he did without a guy with ZERO business on the field taunting him.

Add 15 yards to the FG on a rainy windy night and at least they then have to earn it.

Ultimately, you cannot hit a Ref, and especially en route to trying to throw a punch. They had to call that.

I guarantee that Porter was taunting the Bengals and that Pacman would NOT have done what he did without a guy with ZERO business on the field taunting him.

No question.

Add 15 yards to the FG on a rainy windy night and at least they then have to earn it.

Or, if Pacman doesn't hit a ref... it works both ways.

If Pacman doesnt touch the ref and Peezy is flagged they are out of FG range and the game is likely over.

There was still time on the clock, the game wouldn't have been over.

The Bengals only have themselves to blame for this loss. It's not on the refs. It's on their inability to maintain control.

Disagree. Tougher, for sure, but not impossible. Let's not forget the kicker drilled the winning kick, it would have been good from 10 yards deeper if not more.

The Burfict penalty made it from 65 to a 50 yarder. In those conditions that's a tough FG to make. Less than 50-50 in all likelihood. The pacmantality penalty made it from 50 to 35, which is a drastic difference, and then a chip shot even with the conditions.