For Everyone Who Wanted Rex Fired...

this was meant to be a thread about how lucky we are to not be scrambling to position ourselves in a high demand, low supply market.

but oh well.

I guess, I agree with you then?

What coaching candidate is out there who would turn the Bills into a powerhouse (or even a playoff team)? Coughlin? Maybe? I saw some really despicable decisions at the end of Giants games this year though. The Pats game was a real head scratcher in particular.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know we went 8-8 this year, right? And we haven't been a playoff team since 1999. You know that too, right?

I'm painfully aware of this, reddogblitz. There isn't a day that goes by I'm not scheming a way to end this drought.

I'm also aware the great future Hall of Famer who is Doug Marrone :sick: went 9-7 with a less talented team. Rex lost 8 games with what should have been a playoff team.

thanks for the correction :D

Edited by Aaron

Yes, and you are very clearly implying that at least he's not one of these guys. Otherwise, why bring it up?

Also, Rex was part of a pool last year that consisted of a bunch of other retread/fired coaches and the usual cast of marginal guys. This year's candidates include Peyton (until yesterday), Adam Gase, Sean McDermott, Hugh Jackson, Josh McDaniels.

Not the horrible group you are painting them as..

Hugh Jackson 8-8 fired after one year. Josh McDanials 11-17, didn't he go all in on Tebow? Adam Gase, Sean McDermott no head coaching experience at any level. I'm not a Rex fan, but these guys are a bad example.

Everyone that wanted Rex Ryan fired and Doug Moron back ignores that Rex has a better winning percentage as a head coach of the Buffalo Bills. With all the injuries and lazy defensive players that didn't pick up the play book he still managed to bring this team to 8-8. How did he do that? A large part of those wins come from the QB Tyrod Taylor that he specifically brought in. Rex Ryan is the best coach we could have got and Bills fans should consider themselves lucky to have him as he is making this town and team RELEVANT again.

lol okay.

Clock management has been a huge problem on offense especially in the hurry up but that has been Roman and not Rex. For the most part calling timeouts when we had them have been done well. Wasting timeouts on offense was on Roman too. On defense it was on Rex. We got the plays in way late on both sides of the ball. So yes we had a lot of problems with clock management.

In the normal sense, just knowing when to call timeout and when not to at the end of the half or game we did pretty well

Everyone that wanted Rex Ryan fired and Doug Moron back ignores that Rex has a better winning percentage as a head coach of the Buffalo Bills. With all the injuries and lazy defensive players that didn't pick up the play book he still managed to bring this team to 8-8. How did he do that? A large part of those wins come from the QB Tyrod Taylor that he specifically brought in. Rex Ryan is the best coach we could have got and Bills fans should consider themselves lucky to have him as he is making this town and team RELEVANT again.

:flirt:

But seriously, DUCK!

And yet they were still top-10 last year and the year before.

I'm not sure what sort of person you think I am that I need to vanquish notions of me posting some thoughts to the internet deemed by consistent naysayers as a 'failure.'

Perception is reality. This thread is about whatever responders choose to make it. That's the democratization of the internet. What it has become has no bearing on, nor is it any way an indictment of its intent, in spite of what you doggedly (to a bizarre extent) insist.

So, I'll tell you, flat out, one final time, what the intent of this thread was:

People calling for Rex's head, as I believe then, failed to see the forrest through the trees. Doesn't matter if it was Rex or Santa Claus. Ousting a coach after one year is flat dumb, and there isn't an intelligent mind in any realm of NFL commentary that would argue to the contrary. But we just HAD TO FIRE REX!

Well, we didn't.

If we had, that would make eight coaching vacancies. And while some here insist that there are some viable candidates, the supply falls short of the demand.

So, not only would we have made the short-sighted knee jerk reaction of firing a one-year coach (no matter who it was), we'd also now be competing for scarce resources to set down the already uncertain path of rebuilding --for the third time in four years-- a new system.

THAT was the intent of the OP. And I won't defend it further.

If you continue to interpret it differently, you have no other rationale short of willful ignorance.

You're flatly wrong that clock management has been a problem. But okay.

This was true last year as well. When isn't it true when there are so many vacancies? Your premise that this year's crop is soo much worse doesn't hold up.

You claim that just as many people felt that Rex was railroaded exist as those that wanted him gone is just ridiculous.

Firing a first year HC is not always a bad move--especially when he was such a bad choice to begin with. See the 49ers. Even you could not rationalize keeping that guy.

Hugh Jackson 8-8 fired after one year. Josh McDanials 11-17, didn't he go all in on Tebow? Adam Gase, Sean McDermott no head coaching experience at any level. I'm not a Rex fan, but these guys are a bad example.

All of those guys are being mentioned as solid candidates (last year as well)--the opposite of the OP's claim.

Clock management has been a huge problem on offense especially in the hurry up but that has been Roman and not Rex. For the most part calling timeouts when we had them have been done well. Wasting timeouts on offense was on Roman too. On defense it was on Rex. We got the plays in way late on both sides of the ball. So yes we had a lot of problems with clock management.

In the normal sense, just knowing when to call timeout and when not to at the end of the half or game we did pretty well

The failings of both offense and defense fall on HC. Rex ain't a DC anymore. This isn't game-time playcalling, it's a fundamental issue that's been racking us since day one, or close to it. A good HC would get it fixed IMO. Or at least, get some improvement.

That's the major problem with Rex IMO. He's a glorified DC. I know most HC's are either defensive or offensive guys, but that doesn't leave them blameless on the other side of the ball. Payton doesn't get a pass when Rob Ryan murders his defense.

Edited by FireChan

For what other coach would lazy players not pick up the playbook? How is this not on the HC?

Relevant to whom? Their irrelevance nationally was restored when they hit 6-8. The nation lost interest.

I blow a gasket whenever the Bills call a time out in the second half before the two minute warning. And I'm baffled when EVERY OTHER TEAM does it too.

But if you just look at time of possession in some key wins, notably week 17, clock management was not a problem for this team.

They successfully ran a four minute drill 20 yards from the end zone against NYJ. Did nobody else notice that!?

They bled the clock almost perfectly before Tyrod threw the INT before the half against Dallas. Did the same thing the week prior against WAS.

I won't say the team was WITHOUT clock issues, but it's consistently talked about, league wide, how inexplicable it is that every team does weird **** with the clock.

Can you name some specific examples of when clock management was to our detriment, and for which Rex was responsible?

I've gone back and forth on this and I've concluded that while RR played a part in bringing Tyrod here, I'm not entirely convinced he deserves full credit or even the majority for bring TT in. RR got to 8-8 riding Roman and our new offensive FA and draft acquisitions (basically Whaley).

Edited by FireChan

I blow a gasket whenever the Bills call a time out in the second half before the two minute warning. And I'm baffled when EVERY OTHER TEAM does it too.

But if you just look at time of possession in some key wins, notably week 17, clock management was not a problem for this team.

They successfully ran a four minute drill 20 yards from the end zone against NYJ. Did nobody else notice that!?

They bled the clock almost perfectly before Tyrod threw the INT before the half against Dallas. Did the same thing the week prior against WAS.

I won't say the team was WITHOUT clock issues, but it's consistently talked about, league wide, how inexplicable it is that every team does weird **** with the clock.

Can you name some specific examples of when clock management was to our detriment, and for which Rex was responsible?

Rex did a nice job of coaching in the season finale against the Jets. The clock management aspect in particular was grade A.

This was true last year as well. When isn't it true when there are so many vacancies? Your premise that this year's crop is soo much worse doesn't hold up.

You claim that just as many people felt that Rex was railroaded exist as those that wanted him gone is just ridiculous.

Firing a first year HC is not always a bad move--especially when he was such a bad choice to begin with. See the 49ers. Even you could not rationalize keeping that guy.

All of those guys are being mentioned as solid candidates (last year as well)--the opposite of the OP's claim.

Last year the Bills entered into a coaching search involuntarily. And got the best available one, on paper.

I never said the two camps were equal. I'm also not admitting they aren't. But there are most certainly Jets fans who miss Rex. And quite frankly, with the roster Bowles had this year...and WITH CONTINUITY OF HIS DEFENSIVE SYSTEM...and with the addition of Chan, they would have been a force this year. If you think otherwise, then fine.

Tomsula is a terrible example. Anything the Niners have done over the past 18 months would be a terrible example for how things should be done.

Being mentioned as solid HC candidates? Yet: https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/685144990536736768

Rex did a nice job of coaching in the season finale against the Jets. The clock management aspect in particular was grade A.

It would be impossible to argue otherwise!

For what other coach would lazy players not pick up the playbook? How is this not on the HC?

Relevant to whom? Their irrelevance nationally was restored when they hit 6-8. The nation lost interest.

The decision to micromanage or not micromanage is a coaching one. Neither is right, neither is wrong. But Bills players most certainly had an abrupt change in this department from 2014 to 2015.

Why are these guys solid candidates? They are the coordinators du jour, it happens every year. I don't know enough about Gase and McDermott, but I can use the Google to check their head coaching record, which is 0-0 for both. Jackson may have gotten a raw deal in Oakland, but McDaniels? He was a disaster in Denver. There were times when I questioned his sanity, and what New England coordinator has gone on to have success as a head coach? I can't think of any. You're the one that said they were viable.

Why are these guys solid candidates? They are the coordinators du jour, it happens every year. I don't know enough about Gase and McDermott, but I can use the Google to check their head coaching record, which is 0-0 for both. Jackson may have gotten a raw deal in Oakland, but McDaniels? He was a disaster in Denver. There were times when I questioned his sanity, and what New England coordinator has gone on to have success as a head coach? I can't think of any. You're the one that said they were viable.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/685144990536736768

Last year the Bills entered into a coaching search involuntarily. And got the best available one, on paper.

I never said the two camps were equal. I'm also not admitting they aren't. But there are most certainly Jets fans who miss Rex. And quite frankly, with the roster Bowles had this year...and WITH CONTINUITY OF HIS DEFENSIVE SYSTEM...and with the addition of Chan, they would have been a force this year. If you think otherwise, then fine.

Tomsula is a terrible example. Anything the Niners have done over the past 18 months would be a terrible example for how things should be done.

Being mentioned as solid HC candidates? Yet: https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/685144990536736768

It would be impossible to argue otherwise!

The decision to micromanage or not micromanage is a coaching one. Neither is right, neither is wrong. But Bills players most certainly had an abrupt change in this department from 2014 to 2015.

You are a moving target! You said: "there are just as many Jets fans who don't share that belief about Rex and his time there and fully believe he was railroaded out of town thanks to a lousy roster/GM".

And how was Rex the best "on paper"?

Firing Tomesula is a great example of firing a one season coach when you realize you have made a grave error in selecting your HC.

Not that he is in he NFL, but Saban has had a pretty good run as a former Bellicheck disciple. Obrien and Groh as well are successful, again at the college level.

Of course they are viable--as viable as any recently fired HC last year. It's not just me saying this---it's the same every year as HC jobs open up. The OP claiming THIS year's crop in particular as really bad is just not true.

Rex was a HC candidate was DC before he went to the Jets. Then he got fired from the Jets after an agonizing (for their fans) slow death over 2 seasons where his most momentous accomplishment was getting fined a total of $175,000 for abusing the fans.

Not that he is in he NFL, but Saban has had a pretty good run as a former Bellicheck disciple. Obrien and Groh as well are successful, again at the college level.

O'Brien has been mentioned as a COTY candidate in the NFL...